28 replies to this topic

#1 tobbe

tobbe

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:03 AM

Hi,
I just compared two clips shot with one Hero3 and a Hero2 side by side, both with factory settings.
The Hero3 is used with the original housing, and the Hero2 with an Eye of Mine flat port.
In my opinion the footage from the Hero2 looks sharper when it comes to focus. Has anyone else experienced the same?

Sea&Sea MDX D-300, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikkor 60mm, Nauticam OM-D, 8mm Panasonic, 2 x Sea & Sea YS-110a

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

I would say the black has better white balance the hero2 better image quality

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#3 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

Wondering if the difference in sharpness is due to the camera or the housing port. Many people speak highly of the Eye of Mine housing + port. Perhaps the GoPro housing port is not as good.

\What kid of battery life to you get from your GoPro3?

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:02 AM

There are known issues with the 1440x1080 mode of the gopro that make this comparison not significant

#5 Benoit450

Benoit450

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

As i can see, Gopro 2 was sharper but the WB was more green, but anyway both need post processing, so this is not really a pro for the Hero 3.

Do you use Protune or not ?
Any kind of filter ?

Nice video btw !

#6 tobbe

tobbe

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

This was the first time i used the Hero3 and it was just an "out of the box" test with the default settings on both cameras, no protune or post processing.
After a factory reset and using 1080p on both, the Hero3 was slightly sharper, at least on land.

Edited by tobbe, 19 January 2013 - 11:09 AM.

Sea&Sea MDX D-300, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikkor 60mm, Nauticam OM-D, 8mm Panasonic, 2 x Sea & Sea YS-110a

#7 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

If you have the Hero 3 black, try the 2.7k protune mode. It is one of the features the Hero 2 does not have. If you edit your videos, try the camraw wb mode for a flat color profile. It works well in editing.

#8 tobbe

tobbe

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

If you have the Hero 3 black, try the 2.7k protune mode. It is one of the features the Hero 2 does not have. If you edit your videos, try the camraw wb mode for a flat color profile. It works well in editing.

Yes, it's the Black edition. I saw your nice video fom Belize Ron, I'll try the 2.7k mode as well.

#9 SPP

SPP

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Hi Tobbe,

Some shots as example at 2.7k Protune + Cam Raw 25 FPS
Rendered to same resolution 2,704 x 1524 at 50 mbps constant bit rate MP4, because original bit rate is 45 mbps.
Approx 1.4GB file size for 3 minutes 47 seconds of video.

2.7K to 2.7K Night Dive with 2 x 10,000 lumens light and a bit of Day Dive
http://rapidshare.co...o 3 in 2.7k.mp4

Not the best water viz but it shows this el-cheapo baby camera has great potential. US$400 ( USA price ) ready to dive at approx 100 degrees wide angle in water is SUPER CHEAP even at 1080p 60p/50p, let alone 2.7k resolution. Aliasing is not an issue at 2.7k if underwater. If water viz is 30+ meters and in good light and one hoovers at max 10 meters, install a URpro CYAN using Protune + Cam Raw, many US$2,000 to US$3,000 body only DSLR will be put to shame, because to dive them it will cost at least US$5,000+ more in lens, housing dan WA dome port or minimum US$7K total. At US$400, HD3 Black its a "disposable" camera in contrast with the big brothers out there.

1080p 50fps Day Dive, assisted with 1 x 10,000 lumens light ( 405 MB , 1 minute 54 seconds ).
HD3 Black at 1080p 50fps is approx 35ish mbps, I rendered this video at 28 mbps CBR.
http://rapidshare.co...e + Cam Raw.mp4

Buy a few HD3 Black, say 3. Set 2 units at 1080p NARROW, add SRP 55mm filter adapter and 55mm>67mm adapter ( SRP 55mm NAKED adapter is the same as their BlurFix3 URPRO-SRP color correction filter frame/adapter ) add Inon 165 or Subsee +5 / +10 or stack them both, you get an entry level macro camera for 10-15 cm close up. Stashed these 2 cameras where you can video shy creatures. Hoover around with 1 wide angle HD3 Black. I have not tested but adding US$500 Inon H100 wide angle lens or equivalnet is very likely possible to create extreme wide angle from GoPro MEDIUM mode or perhaps 140ish degrees in water. Add LCD BacPac for all 3 of the HD3 black, still less than US$300 for 3, USA Retail. If you play shallow and get 75 minutes and a location with macro and wide angle targets, awesome savings on expensive dive trip which is now approx US$400ish a day LOB for 3 dives/day. I am going to try this 3 of HD3 Black experiment very soon for fun.

Here is some learning on HD3 from the experts.Yes land use but know-how is know-how.

Abe K, the man behind all GoPro official video

http://abekislevitz....your-new-gopro/
Read his blog, mainly its GoPro related.

David Newman, the Cineform boss and brain behind Protune

http://cineform.blog...10/protune.html

http://cineform.blog...une-always.html

http://cineform.blog...01_archive.html

Enjoy..........

#10 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Interested to see how your macro experiments come out.

I was not happy with the footage shot with narrow mode. Very grainy, noisy and colors were a little funky since protune is not an option in narrow mode. Also, even in narrow mode, the field of view is still pretty wide. Too wide for macro in my opinion.

#11 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

I think there is lack of knowledge of other options on the market, a Gopro housing only and a filter costs $450
A canon elph110+Ikelite housing+a wet mate dome costs $650
$200 difference and the footage looks actually better as you can white balance and the bitrate is the same
There are plenty of compact options that do not cost $3,000 in fact at $1,300 you can get also a light and do real macro where you can actually zoom instead of being on top of a fish
It is just that those cameras are not marketed as video gear but if you look closer there are plenty of option from the gopro to $3,500 for a Sony RX100 with twin sola

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#12 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

I think there is lack of knowledge of other options on the market, a Gopro housing only and a filter costs $450

The canon elph and Ike housing is quite a bit larger than a Gopro Hero 3 Black which can be white balanced by the way. There are many ways to get good video, but the Gopro is targeting a very specific market where tiny and simple is the most important thing. It's not a be-all end-all. I have a gopro attached to the top of my DSLR housing; you really wouldn't want to do that with an elph in an Ike housing.

Edited by johnspierce, 25 January 2013 - 02:12 PM.

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#13 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

I am talking about the fact that the gopro cannot certain things like macro like the previous post was suggesting
am not saying you can attach an ixus to a dslr

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#14 SPP

SPP

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

Interested to see how your macro experiments come out.

I was not happy with the footage shot with narrow mode. Very grainy, noisy and colors were a little funky since protune is not an option in narrow mode. Also, even in narrow mode, the field of view is still pretty wide. Too wide for macro in my opinion.

Narrow mode in HD2 is noisy and grainy but not in HD3 Black with good light. Its much improvement actually and I was surprised.

Dont ever touch Protune unless you know about Protune. With all camere noise reduction OFF noise is high, color is flat and if Cam Raw selected, it look dull...........that is the domain for those who knows how to take advantage of Protune and with the right software. Many people who does not know about Protune made the mistake thinking its a better format but not working it in post to achieve it.

Do remember that in a standard video file, those are touched up videos as per designer/manufacturer liking, not a true as-is as caught by sensor, just like a JPEG, its a "processed" image.

Simple result, look at GoPro HD3 Official video as explained by Abe. No 2.7k yet and look at the underwater footage, but Abe took 4 days to learn Davinci Resolve as color correction/grading tool. In general 90% of UW video guys will never believe it is from GoPro HD3 Black, that UW footage in that HD3 Official video..... because its hard to swallow that someone out there is much better than most with an el-cheapo mini sized camera.

One thing to remember about GoPro is, it is an outdoor camera and it need good light. It is a poor low light performer and not designed as a low light camera. Stick to this basic rule and wonderful footage is easy.

#15 SPP

SPP

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:33 AM

$200 difference and the footage looks actually better as you can white balance and the bitrate is the same
There are plenty of compact options that do not cost $3,000 in fact at $1,300 you can get also a light and do real macro where you can actually zoom instead of being on top of a fish
It is just that those cameras are not marketed as video gear but if you look closer there are plenty of option from the gopro to $3,500 for a Sony RX100 with twin sola

Nope, bit rate is not the same. Using 1080 p 50fps Protune + Cam Raw, its near 45 mbps. Without Protune, for 1080p 50 fps its like 35 mbs which is higher than any US$600 camera can deliver. That Canon is at best 15 mbps. Looking at S110 video against my RX100, Elph 110 can be discarded as a HD3 Competitor no matter how cheap it is because to make it UW video camera ready and wide angle as you said it is US$650 and with foot print 2.5 times a GoPro. Nobody wants to piggy back a camera that size with a housing on top of a DLSR for wide angle application.

Once you know how to mess with Cam Raw and Protune, manual WB you can forget it and one need not manual WB every 5 meters when using Cam Raw.

I said stashed 2 GoPro HD3 Black with subsee +5 or +10 for shy critters in macro mode, not the best magnification but acceptable. This will be the next market for GoPro, like it is now popular with Nat-Geo or Discovery Channel or BBC and the like for GoPro HD2 application as a "stashed" & forget camera be it UW or on land. As a wide angle UW video camera, in good condition, nothing touch it for US$479 price tag, assuming US$79 LCD BacPac used. Like John said, GoPro size is sweet n small. Its the smallest wide angle 2.7K UW camera out there, or just call it 1080p 50/60 FPS camera for those not having the hardware to at least view it in 2560 x 1440 native display of 27" like Mac or Dell U2711.

Viewing high quality footage is another issue. If we have a 15" laptop or a low end 24" display on our PC, its a waste of good video. All 1080p high bit rate or low bit rate will look near the same quality on a 15" display. I am not saying HD3 Black is super duper out of this world, but it is amazing for US$400 camera only with housing price tag as a ready to dive 55 meters rig, its the best bang for the buck for wide angle UW video today and smallest foot print too. This camera has its place and no other POV camera in the world, get attention and after market 3rd party products like a GoPro is and that is important for UW user expansion of creativity.

#16 water buffalo

water buffalo

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

I have a gopro attached to the top of my DSLR housing.

John - I have been considering doing this with my Ikelite housing but thought the wide view of the GoPro would include parts of my housing. Do you have a picture of your rig and/or some sample video anywhere?
Nikon D300 & D70s, Ikelite housings, DS-125

#17 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

SPP the Ixus 125 as the Powershot S100 encodes at 35 Mb/s 24fps which is the same than protune for the gopro at 24/25/30 fpw however the lens is better and you can actually zoom
The 60 fps modes for the gopro with the low light performance that it has are just a waste of energy in effect because of the blurred corners you better off at 2.3K and crop
The cam_raw is nowhere near the quality of real custom white balance and you don't have to waste time editing files that for the average user are noisy unsharp in essence not that good
What's the point of having a $400 camera requiring $1000 software to process the files?? The whole idea is to have a system that is easy to use and the cost is the total cost including the editing software
You can encode at 100 Mb/s but with poor optics you are just compressing a poor image let's not get overexcited about bitrate is the same as it is with megapixels you can have cameras with less resolution and better optics that look better than cameras with poor lenses and more resolution
So for casual wide angle is good for the rest it does not have the feature better stick to what the gopro can do to avoid disappointments

Edited by Interceptor121, 26 January 2013 - 08:45 AM.

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#18 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Everyone has their opinion and preferences. For me, the Hero3 narrow mode UW is almost useless. From what I read, you will get better footage shooting in 2.7k ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) and then cropping in editing vs. shooting in narrow mode. I think I read that narrow mode crops the sensor during recording, resulting in degraded footage.

I prefer to shoot 2.7k protune on camraw WB with a filter. Easy basic adjustments to contrast and brightness gives me very good results. You can do this with the free cineform software.

Agreed, if people cannot or do not want to adjust contrast in their editing program, skip protune. There are many that don't edit at all and just watch/download the raw clips.

Interested to see some of your video. The links in your previous post did not work for me.

If GoPro came out with a different model with a standard or telephoto lens, I would buy it. I have not seen any footage from a GoPro that I consider acceptable macro. I would be very happy to be wrong about this so if anyone has footage or links to decent GoPro macro footage, please post it.

#19 SPP

SPP

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

Weren't you reccomending Elp 110 ? The S100 I read has 34 mbps bit rate yes, but not the Elp 110.
The free Cineform Studio is decent for color correction and sharpness correction. Sure Cam Raw is not same as RAW as photo file RAW but its nice n easy to mess with compared to AWB or any custom WB for a dive zero to 25 meters with no fiddling on WB. Other NLE we must have anyway to edit, regardless what camera we have, so that is not a cost factor.
The simplicity and form factor of the HD3 Black is the key its use. Mixing footage will be what people do in the end. Some from HD3-B and some from other cameras. My liking its towards simply & small foot print for wide angle it can offer at 2.7k.

Ron,
I agree with you 2,7K normal wide is a good one to use for UW work as a stashed and forget camera on top of a bigger camera.
Let me see what other depository beside Rapidshare I can use . Any recommended depository to 2 GB ? Youtube is not a good place to view 2.7k even at the so called "original" resolution.

I don't think GP HD3 will come with different lens, but 3rd party provider been supplying for the HD2 ones in various sizes. They are sports camera which people use for other application.
The no need to focus is what so fun about GoPro, no focus hunting to content with when shooting all blue water.

Later guys,

#20 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

Am not recommending the IXUS125 what I am saying is that set up at not much more than the gopro is actually a bit more flexible if flexibility is required
As you said the gopro is good when there is plenty of light and for casual wide angle is not a device that can really do what you would do with a proper video set up in terms of scenes of really react at best to artificial illumination etcetera
As I start set up I recommend the gopro but just for what it can do well, when I start hearing about macro, lights and so on it feels the expectations are a bit unrealistic, there are many camera that take decent video and macro video in the 1200-1300 range and support your wide-medium-close-super close shot just fine
I guess it depends what is the learning curve and the requirements but you can't draw blood from onions you can have soup though

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog