• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 decostanza

decostanza

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:56 AM

I am very curious to hear what experiences others have had using Sea&Sea housings? I am looking to upgrade the housing I use with my Canon 5D MKIV.

Thanks for any tips or input you may have.

Don

#2 rogerholmesuk

rogerholmesuk

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:26 AM

For your camera or overall experience. For Sony RX100 the MDX is fantastic, built well, solid delirium gears inside , and i it never flooded. Bullet proof from my angle.

#3 garyyoss

garyyoss

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:51 AM

I've had two Sea and Sea Housings both have kept my cameras safe from flooding and have always been reliable mechanically. 

The first was an MDX-D300 with no problems and currently an MDX-D800. Unfortunately the blue finish of the D800 housing didn't hold up as well as the black on the D300.

I'm currently looking to house a recently acquired D500 and am probably going to drink the Kool Aid and go the Nauticam route.

The Sea and Sea and Nauticam housings are basically the same price but the ergonomics seem a bit better on the Nauticam. 

Nikon D800, Sea and Sea MDX-D800, Inon Z-240's, Nikkor 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikkor 60mm, Sigma 15mm, ULCS Hardware

Canon S95, Fix housing and w/a dome, Inon Z-240's, Nauticam Hardware

#4 decostanza

decostanza

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:04 AM

Thank you Rogerholmesuk and Garyyoss,

I appreciate the time you took and the insight you shared. I know Nauticam and Aquatica seem to be what the majority use and thus why I thought I would look into the Sea&Sea given the price-point is very similar.

Don

#5 vigfus

vigfus

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:02 AM

I've used the S&S MDX-7000 for a couple of years and have been really happy with it. I haven't tried any other dSLR housings, but this one has been solid with easy access to features and easily handled when I've needed to change battery on the smaller traditional boats in SE Asia.

Nikon D7000, Sea&Sea MDX-7000, Macro lenses: 2 Inon UCL-165, Strobes: 2 Sea&Sea YS-D1, Focus light: Light & Motion Sola 800P
http://www.flickr.com/photos/svpv9704/

#6 Larry C

Larry C

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Sports, Antique Motorcycles and Old Trucks

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:01 PM

I've been very happy with both the Sea & Sea on my D300 and my Nauticam for the D500.  They're both well made and sturdy.  I had a couple of issues with the Sea & Sea.  One was that it had a combination lever for the back focus button.  You had to pull and twist it for that function and the little screw came off the end of mine a couple of times, leaving the shaft loose underwater and held by only the o-ring.  I had to keep my finger over the end of the lever until I got it out of the water to prevent a flood.   Other than that, it was terrific.  I find the Nauticam has a little more access to some of the controls I use most, which was why I bought it.

D500 NA-D500, D300 MDX-D300, 2X YS-D1, Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60AF D, Nikon 105mm AF-D, Nikon 35mm f2.0, L & M Sola 800/1200

Nikon F100 w/Sea & Sea NX100 Pro

#7 decostanza

decostanza

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:50 PM

Thanks Vigfus and Larry C for your input. Based on the comments of this thread and everyone’s experiences I am moving forward with getting one from Sea & Sea.
Don