Photo
- - - - -

Mexico: Whaleshark trips out from Isla Mujeres for photographers?

whale shark whaleshark photographer photography mexico isla mujeres

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sinetwo

sinetwo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:23 AM

Hi all, I'm looking forward to trying out my new rig, but would love to go on a boat which is catered for photographers. Doesn't have to be overly serious, but someone who's able to position the boat in a decent manner to make it easier to try and get head on shots, or have a boat with fresh water etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as at the moment we have the following ear marked, "On Isla Mujeres", due to the bigger boat and less of a propensity for sea sickness (yes, even the hardiest of sea scurveys get sick on these boats).

Thanks!

#2 FettSolo

FettSolo

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:18 AM

Have you looked into Big Fish Expeditions? http://bigfishexpeditions.com/

I've been on two BFE trips now (basking sharks in Scotland and whale sharks off of Mujeres) and loved it. For the whale sharks trip, the crew would keep an eye on the sharks and whistle at me in the water, so I was easily able to position myself to get the shots I wanted. The boat was one of the first to arrive at the sharks in the morning, and was the last to leave. The middle of the day gets crowded with other boats, but in the morning and afternoon I had solo encounters with multiple sharks!

#3 sinetwo

sinetwo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:58 AM

Hi Fett, I ended up going with On Isla Mujeres - annoyed I didn't get more than 2 goes to see them as the entire boat threw up (I was spared :) ) but I got a few decent side shots...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whale, shark, whaleshark, photographer, photography, mexico, isla, mujeres