Photo
- - - - -

Why do you not use dSLR?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Why do you not shoot dSLR (26 member(s) have cast votes)

What is it that stops you making the move

1. too big (10 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

2. too dear (14 votes [53.85%])

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

3. no live preview (1 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

4. Other reason....please add a response (1 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 DesertEagle

DesertEagle

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

Less money, less worry. In a small bag I can carry two point 'n shoot cameras, 2 housings, a wide angle lens, strobe and arms. It's especially handy when I'm doing other activities during my vacation. Not buying a DSLR rig has enabled me to max out my 401k plan, add to my Roth IRA and put in additional savings.

I do a lot of diving from day boats (never been on a liveaboard). The smaller rig does less to put off other divers who might otherwise expect photographers to hog the animal encounters.

My future wife will hopefully be a doctor, preferably ortho/spine.
Canon 30D. Olympus SP-310, PT-030 housing with Sea & Sea 16mm lens. Sea&Sea YS-50 and YS-60 stobes. Heinrichs-Weikamp DA2 adapter. ULCS base & arms. A little Magic (original & auto).

#22 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1019 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:08 AM

Live view: As far as I know, no DSLR has implemented a truly useful (for underwater photography) live view since the Oly E330 and now some recent Oly and Panasonic offerings for which there are no housings. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't believe the live view on the D90 and D300 are suitable for general underwater use. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Referring only to the LiveView part, the new Sony DSLRs have a very similar implementation to the Oly E330, second sensor up in the viewfinder tunnel for a true "no extra mirror action" liveview, they just do it by having an optional tilt on secondary mirror (illuminate optical viewfinder or secondary sensor) while the E330 did it with a partially silvered secondary mirror. So they have the 'same' function but without the loss of light to the OVF when live-view is not in use. Otherwise I think I'd be in agreement with you that the Canikon liveview implementations are really more intended for 'tripod macro' or extremely wide DOF (no need for sharp focus) use.

I think from my readings that Panasonic is getting pretty close with single-sensor solutions and a fast electronic viewfinder that doesn't suffer much 'video lag' (at least their autofocus speed with liveview is getting a bit higher marks than Oly's EP1, in my readings) but not necessarily on all existing 4:3rd's lenses. Still the whole m4:3 family is still so new, there's a lot of room for improvement to happen very quickly.

I'm still hoping for a true Olympus successor to the E330 with a "Live View A" mode that works with all the original 4:3rd's lenses, but I'm no longer holding my breath expecting it. More than likely I'll be taking a serious look at a future m4:3 camera.....or outgrowing liveview and learning to use an OVF. Either will hurt, but the former would hurt the pocketbook (lens replacement in addition to camera/housing replacement, and high end m4:3 camera costs aren't that different from the entry-level DSLR bodies in my price range) and the latter more my pride. ^_^

Edited by rtrski, 14 October 2009 - 09:15 AM.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#23 onewolf

onewolf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Boating, Diving, Fishing, Photography, Kayaking

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

Earlier this year I went thru an exhaustive investigation of DSLR vs PS for my new UW camera system. In the end I chose a Canon G10 with FIX housing. The deciding factors were:

Cost: Almost $10,000 for SLR system I wanted (Canon 50D, S&S housing, ports, lenses, strobes, 45deg viewfinder, etc etc) vs $2500 for Canon G10, FIX housing, macro adapter, YS-110A strobe

Flexibility: With the G10 I can shoot supermacro to moderate WA on the same dive and also shoot video.

Travel: With the G10/FIX systems (my wife also got a G10/FIX) we are able to pack both housings, cameras, strobe arms, 3 strobes, FIX fisheye dome port, batteries, chargers, macro adapters, and spare parts into one carry on bag.

UW Photos from Cozumel with the new G10 system: http://www.onewolf.o...ater/index.html

(Primary) Nauticam 550D, Canon T2i, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 100mm IS, Tokina 10-17FE, Zen 100mm domeport, Nauticam 180deg viewfinder, Dual S&S YS-110a, SOLA 600 focus light, Dual AOI RGBlue video lights, GoPro Hero 2

(Backup) Olympus E-PM1, PT EP-06, Olympus 14-42 II, Olympus 60mm macro

--- Visit My Website ---

#24 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 04:57 PM

Too heavy given today's airline bag & weight policies. Do all my diving travel diving.
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#25 CountrysideGirl

CountrysideGirl

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:36 AM

The Nikon D90 does have live view!

#26 jimorus

jimorus

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:26 AM

Too big and too pricey

My wife and I shot weddings with medium format gear. I know the differences and all the reasons bigger is better in film and file sizes (sometimes) but it is really nice to pack the g10, and Fix housing, 2 ys 110's, and the assorted arms into a laptop backback and carry it on. If I use a small laptop it goes in as well.

I know I'll never sell anything and I do this for my own enjoyment. The limitations are from the operator and not the equipment in my case.

I need to remember the same things underwater as in the church--- Fill the frame and facial expressions make the picture. There is no facial expression on a fish's tail.

We chased technology for a bit and found there is no catching up so the g10 will be "it" for a while. Reasonable shutter lag, reasonably sized files. I'd trade the big files for less noise but I own it so it works. The focus is petty good but adding a focus light makes it great

jim