Photo
- - - - -

Olympus E-M1 with Olympus or Nauticam Housing?

Olympus E-M1 Nauticam

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Diving / Photograpy / Video / Gardening / Cooking / Handcraft

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:26 PM

Hi Amylynn,

I am still happy with the NAEM5II I purchased last year. I believe that good optics and ports are much more important for good image quality than to have the newest generation of camera body (besides photographic abilities, of course, but this is not under debate here and cannot be compensated with money :) ...).

My wife still has the EPL6 in Olympus housing and we are considering to change this and acquire another Oly camera in Nauticam housing so we can share the ports we have for Nauticam (for the Oly housing we would have to buy all ports/extensions extra, she has only the standard port so far). This is what I like with Nauticam housings: one just exchanges the housing for camera body and the camera, but ports, extensions, lenses etc. remain. We did not decide yet whether to go for another second hand EM5II or EM1 plus NA housing (may be around 1500 Euros) or whether to go for EM1MII new (ca. 4000 Euro; as Draq says this camera is relatively new and it will last another 1-2 years before they will become abundand at the second hand market).

Here is my gear list and how I am satisfied with it (I also do not have much comparison to alternatives, since this is my first gear):

#1.: Macro: Zuiko 60mm (excellent! - but belongs to my wife, so used seldom :) )

Pana 45mm (very good) 

both in Nauticam 45 Macro port (Zuiko 60mm with 20mm Extension).

#2.: "moderate" WA to normal/tele: Zuiko 12-40mm Pro (excellent!)

with Zen DP-170-N120 and Nauticam 60mm N120-N85 adapter.

=> The N120 port version is more expensiveas the ports with built in extensions (as you need additional adapters/extensions), but is also more universal and with the rigth extension/adapter it can be used for more different lenses as the domes with built-in extensions.

#3.: extreme WA: Zuiko 8mm fisheye Pro (excellent!)

with Zen DP-170-N120 and 30mm N120-N85 adapter.

(maybe later I will go for the 140mm or even 100mm fisheye dome, but IQ is excellent also with DP170)

#4.: "regular" WA range: this is the "problem child"

Pana 7-14mm (o.k., but IQ not really at satisfaction)

with Zen DP-170-N120 and NA 60mm N120-N85 adapter.

my wife uses Zuiko 9-18mm behind planport (the IQ is really bad! - I cannot recommend this combination).

for this WA range the Pana 8-18mm behind Nauticam 180 domeport or Pana (or Zuiko) 7-14mm behind Athena 200mm port might give better results (we had already many discussions on the dompeport issue here) - maybe I will end up later with a 200mm port for the Pana 7-14mm, but see below...

I recently acquired a Tokina 10-17mm zoom fisheye and a Metabones 0,71x speedbooster (allows the Canon mount lens to be used on MFT body, reduces focal length to 7-12mm and increases f-number to f2.5-f3.2. So far the combination works perfect over water, no incompatibility problems). I also have ordered the corresponding Nauticam adapter plus Zoomgear, but still am waiting to get it and test this combination out (we are leaving on April 19th for 2 weeks to Egypt :) :) :), maybe I can test already there, but I do not count on it...). In case this combination gives very good results, I will acquire another Metabones 1x adapter and this may well become my standard WA configuration from 180o to 74o diagonal FOV. In addition the Metabones 0,71x adapter will also allow me to use a circular fisheye (as Sigma 4,5mm FE in Canon mount)...

Wolfgang

Edited by Architeuthis, 07 April 2018 - 12:14 AM.

#22 AForns

AForns

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 01:44 AM

I have owned both and would strongly suggest sticking with the Nauticam.   Just need to slide the camera in one then the other will have no trouble deciding.   

Regarding the price difference, not as much as you think if you factor in all the "accessories" you will be buying for either.   One in particular which makes a difference is a viewfinder, have both the straight and 45 degree for the Nauticam.   Once you use one will never be without it.

The Olympus housing was smooth functioning, all controls worked, light/easy to carry and excellent factory support.   Keep in mind they are unable to be repaired, fog and can not use a vacuum system.

Hope it helps

al

#23 Draq

Draq

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

One other consideration...Nauticam  offers ports for a broader range of lenses, including Panasonic lenses, so you may have more flexibility there and if, in a year or two or three you decide you want to switch to a different Olympus camera model or even a Panasonic camera, it is much more likely that you can continue using the lenses and ports you have already acquired on the new housing.  may not matter to you, but worth thinking about.

#24 Wapiti

Wapiti

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:18 PM

For what it's worth, I've dove my E-M1 Olympus housing in conditions with a over a 50 degree difference between topside air and water temps- as long as I have a desiccant pack on board I don't experience fogging.  Second, Oly ports can be adapted to Nauticam housings.  Related to that- Panasonic lenses can work just fine in Oly housings; I'm pretty happy using my 8-18 behind an Inon 170mm dome, for instance.  

Edited by Wapiti, 09 April 2018 - 07:19 PM.

#25 Draq

Draq

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 08:04 PM

I guess to be fair, I am not that knowledgeable about ports for the Oly housing.  My son uses one and at some point we were looking for a solution for a lens and could not find a suitable port, but I believe not all Oly housings use the same ports so that might have been part of the problem, and it is possible that there is more variety now than a couple years ago.

#26 amylynn829

amylynn829

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:12 AM

Hi Wolfgang,

Sorry that I didn't reply sooner, I 've been buried with work and somehow missed this notification. Thank you for such a detailed reply. I am in the field of accounting and appreciate detail. :) I got the 12-40mm pro lens so I'm glad that is part of your kit. I've been doing a lot of research on what has worked well for that lens.

I may have more questions for you in the future if you don't mind.

Amy

Hi Amylynn,

I am still happy with the NAEM5II I purchased last year. I believe that good optics and ports are much more important for good image quality than to have the newest generation of camera body (besides photographic abilities, of course, but this is not under debate here and cannot be compensated with money :) ...).

My wife still has the EPL6 in Olympus housing and we are considering to change this and acquire another Oly camera in Nauticam housing so we can share the ports we have for Nauticam (for the Oly housing we would have to buy all ports/extensions extra, she has only the standard port so far). This is what I like with Nauticam housings: one just exchanges the housing for camera body and the camera, but ports, extensions, lenses etc. remain. We did not decide yet whether to go for another second hand EM5II or EM1 plus NA housing (may be around 1500 Euros) or whether to go for EM1MII new (ca. 4000 Euro; as Draq says this camera is relatively new and it will last another 1-2 years before they will become abundand at the second hand market).

Here is my gear list and how I am satisfied with it (I also do not have much comparison to alternatives, since this is my first gear):

#1.: Macro: Zuiko 60mm (excellent! - but belongs to my wife, so used seldom :) )

Pana 45mm (very good) 

both in Nauticam 45 Macro port (Zuiko 60mm with 20mm Extension).

#2.: "moderate" WA to normal/tele: Zuiko 12-40mm Pro (excellent!)

with Zen DP-170-N120 and Nauticam 60mm N120-N85 adapter.

=> The N120 port version is more expensiveas the ports with built in extensions (as you need additional adapters/extensions), but is also more universal and with the rigth extension/adapter it can be used for more different lenses as the domes with built-in extensions.

#3.: extreme WA: Zuiko 8mm fisheye Pro (excellent!)

with Zen DP-170-N120 and 30mm N120-N85 adapter.

(maybe later I will go for the 140mm or even 100mm fisheye dome, but IQ is excellent also with DP170)

#4.: "regular" WA range: this is the "problem child"

Pana 7-14mm (o.k., but IQ not really at satisfaction)

with Zen DP-170-N120 and NA 60mm N120-N85 adapter.

my wife uses Zuiko 9-18mm behind planport (the IQ is really bad! - I cannot recommend this combination).

for this WA range the Pana 8-18mm behind Nauticam 180 domeport or Pana (or Zuiko) 7-14mm behind Athena 200mm port might give better results (we had already many discussions on the dompeport issue here) - maybe I will end up later with a 200mm port for the Pana 7-14mm, but see below...

I recently acquired a Tokina 10-17mm zoom fisheye and a Metabones 0,71x speedbooster (allows the Canon mount lens to be used on MFT body, reduces focal length to 7-12mm and increases f-number to f2.5-f3.2. So far the combination works perfect over water, no incompatibility problems). I also have ordered the corresponding Nauticam adapter plus Zoomgear, but still am waiting to get it and test this combination out (we are leaving on April 19th for 2 weeks to Egypt :) :) :), maybe I can test already there, but I do not count on it...). In case this combination gives very good results, I will acquire another Metabones 1x adapter and this may well become my standard WA configuration from 180o to 74o diagonal FOV. In addition the Metabones 0,71x adapter will also allow me to use a circular fisheye (as Sigma 4,5mm FE in Canon mount)...

Wolfgang

#27 amylynn829

amylynn829

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:16 AM

In regards to the viewfinder, do you have one that you prefer (45 degree v. straight)? What are the biggest pros/cons for using one? I haven't really considered it since I figured it mostly adds bulk/weight to the package but curious as to personal experience.

Amy

I have owned both and would strongly suggest sticking with the Nauticam.   Just need to slide the camera in one then the other will have no trouble deciding.   

Regarding the price difference, not as much as you think if you factor in all the "accessories" you will be buying for either.   One in particular which makes a difference is a viewfinder, have both the straight and 45 degree for the Nauticam.   Once you use one will never be without it.

The Olympus housing was smooth functioning, all controls worked, light/easy to carry and excellent factory support.   Keep in mind they are unable to be repaired, fog and can not use a vacuum system.

Hope it helps

al

#28 fdo

fdo

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:03 AM

Hi, I you are interested, I am planning to upgrade to the EM1 MKII and will be selling my EM1 MKI Aquatica housing. Housing has the vacuum pump, optical ports. I also have  a few other accessories that I could sell. Best Regards, Fdo.

#29 dlvolk

dlvolk

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:07 PM

I have an E-M1 and E-M5 (v1), and they focus about the same speed, except for CAF where E-M1's PDAF excels.  I understand E-m5 II is similar.  E-M1 and E-M5 v1 have the same port on olympus housings, but E-M5ii has the smaller, more difficult to swap port, if you care about that.  I've had multiple Olympus housings and they were all a great value, and never had issue with fogging.  I only go down 60' though.

#30 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:57 AM

I upgraded from the EM-5 MkII to the EM-1 MKII last year.  I found the M5 II great for most things but AF with the 60mm macro could be an issue with hunting.  With the MkII the AF is much snappier, so seems to be a better option if you are doing macro.  As to whether to get a Nauticam housing, with the EM-5 II they olympus housing uses the smalller PEN ports so it restricts your lens choice.  The M1 MkII on olympus has better choice of ports, but nothing to match the Zen ports for use with wide angle lenses and the number of lenses you can use is a little limited by availability of zoom gears for the oly housing.  If you can afford it the Nauticam housings are much nicer to use with a more extensive choice of lenses you can use.

#31 tursiops

tursiops

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:22 PM

In regards to the viewfinder, do you have one that you prefer (45 degree v. straight)? What are the biggest pros/cons for using one? I haven't really considered it since I figured it mostly adds bulk/weight to the package but curious as to personal experience.

Amy

I have the 45 viewfinder. It is awsome.....no issues with macro focus, framing. You need to practice with it to get it angled right...

Only downside is the size and weight, for air travel. And cost....The viewfinder plus my WWL-1 cost more than my car.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Olympus, E-M1, Nauticam