9 replies to this topic

#1 d.abdo

d.abdo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:29 PM

Hey gang

this is going to be one of those annoying (not one of THOSE questions again), and it probably has been covered before (sorry :blink: ).

I was wondering will two DS-51 strobes cut it for wide angle shots, or is it just point less to contemplate this.

I ask as I am looking to try and keep the weight of my gear to a minimum. I know DS-125 would be better, but price is a bit of an issue for me. They would be connected up to a canon20D.

Or should I suck it up and loose some cash and just get the 125's

Any advice will be gratefully accepted.

Sorry again about the crappy question.

Cheers dave

west oz

#2 ripli

ripli

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:graphic design and scuba

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:26 PM

Hey gang

this is going to be one of those annoying (not one of THOSE questions again), and it probably has been covered before (sorry :blink: ).

I was wondering will two DS-51 strobes cut it for wide angle shots, or is it just point less to contemplate this.

I ask as I am looking to try and keep the weight of my gear to a minimum. I know DS-125 would be better, but price is a bit of an issue for me. They would be connected up to a canon20D.

Or should I suck it up and loose some cash and just get the 125's

Any advice will be gratefully accepted.

Sorry again about the crappy question.

Cheers dave

west oz

Hey Dave. I've two DS50 my own and you can get false wide angle (CFWA) that looks like WA, but for real one you will need two big ones...i'm planing to get 2xDS200...well...if i change to DSLR...and get the money :glare: :glare: :glare: :glare:

#3 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:12 AM

Hi Dave,

I've been diving with the Canon 20D and one DS50 and wanted to upgrade to a second strobe. Although WA isn't high on my priority list I wanted to have the ability and tought 2 DS50's (equivalent in beam to the DS51 I think) wasn't going to cut is in both horizontal and vertical dimensions simultaneously. More importantly, the DS125 gives you two other features I really wished to have; a ridiculously fast recycle time and a build-in modeling light. Some will also mention the warmer color of the DS125 over the DS50 as an advantage. I now have both a DS125 and a DS50 but haven't taken the combo under yet. In hindsight I should have gone for the DS125 right off the bat, but the DS50 sure is nice and compact and it pumps a wicked amount of light in its smaller cone.

Bart
Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#4 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2351 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:41 AM

I think 2 DS125s are fine for wide angle. I sold my 200s when I bought the 125s and have never looked back.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#5 yukikokubo

yukikokubo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 07:53 PM

Newbie here. Actually not even started; just trying to figure out how to outfit my Canon 400D at the moment...

I'm thinking about buying the Ikelite housing and two DS-51s. I will be using the Canon EF-S 60mm as well as the Tokina 10-17mm and am a little concerned about the light coverage when shooting wide.

I have spent the past week searching through forum after forum but have only read a few posts by people who have actually used the DS-51s in wide shots. I know what the specs say but I want to hear from more people who have actually used these lights in wide angle shots.

The cost and the size/ weight (I'm very petite - read: shrimpy) is very favorable on the DS-51 so I am looking for as much information as possible. If you could send or post some examples, that would be great!

Thanks,
Yuki
:wacko:

#6 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:40 AM

going back to the original question: I can cover a 15mm FE lens on my cropped 20D sensor, using the DS-50/51s. It is (nearly) possible without the diffusors, but easily works with the diffusors on.

two times 80 degrees (ikelite's quoted coverage with the diffusor on) is pretty close to 180 degrees FE coverage (which in the 20D will probably be around 165 degrees because the canon sensor is slightly smaller then nikons). (that's diagonal, the horizontal FOV is much less).

Also: ikelite makes a point that there quoted coverage is based on one stop difference between centre and sides, there still is some light around it.

edit: PS might have a look at this thread on digigreen : the poster uses a double DS-51 setup as well, and on the 10mm setting (3th and 4th picture, check the exif's) it looks like they cover it well enough...
http://www.digigreen...mm-fisheye.html

Edited by Cerianthus, 12 February 2008 - 01:43 AM.

Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 70D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#7 antacid

antacid

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:35 PM

I used a DS50 and a Inon Z240 during my trip in December with a 350D and 12-24 lens. Coverage was pretty ok and dark areas were usually due to poor strobe placement.

You can have a look at the photos here and decide for yourself. The Ikelite is mounted on the left, and inon Z240 on the right.

Click on the first album on this page:
http://www.coloureds...m/site/Dive.htm
www.colouredshots.com
Kodak disposable film camera

"I use lousy equipment. I charge very high rates."

#8 rodriguezfelix

rodriguezfelix

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:UWP, Surf, Travel

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:01 PM

I had use and still own two of each. For WA I always felt like it need more power so colors results wash out with 50´s.

I found that mixing one of each on vertical WA composition provides nice lighting, but it’s hard and tricky with landscape shots.

As a conclusion I should say that 2X 125 is a perfect match for WA , I don’t recommend 50´s range for WA.

#9 jlyle

jlyle

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 03:40 PM

I have a garage full of stuff that I bought and then had to replace with the more expensive items I should have bought in the first place. If you get two DS-51s, you will buy DS-125s later. Why not save a little money in the long run and get the 125s, now?

PS, I now shoot dual DS-125s.
Olmpus OM-D EM-5 in a Nauticam housing with dual Sea and Sea YS D1 strobes
8mm, 12-50mm, 45mm lenses
My web page.

#10 yukikokubo

yukikokubo

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:30 PM

Thanks, guys. I have to say, I'm not interested in the DS125 because of cost, size and proprietary batteries. If I decide to spend that much money, I will probably go for a pair of Inon Z240s. Though if I do, I wouldn't have TTL, which I'm not sure I will like, but that's another matter all in itself. I'm still not convinced either way about buying or not buying a pair of DS-51s. I would love to hear more about this from people who have used, or currently use two DS-51s, and please show me examples if you have 'em. Thanks again in advance! :D

Edited by yukikokubo, 12 February 2008 - 06:59 PM.