15 replies to this topic

#1 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:33 AM

Has anyone done this? If so could they comment on their experience?
Thanks
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1461 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

I didn't do this all the way, but have shot both the 7D/Nauticam and the Sony 5/Nauticam. Results are mostly comparable, the NEX system is quite a bit smaller/lighter and less pull on your arm. The lens choices for NEX are not quite (OK not at all) comparable to the DX universe, but if they fit what you want to shoot, image quality is quite fine. I think that it is a viable switch (same size sensor after all). The NEX 7 has a phenomenal EVF and I think it would make a great system.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 jmauricio

jmauricio

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

I'm currently considering this as well. With a young child travelling to diving destinations with a DSLR set up is simply not an option. Since I completed my D7000 set up, I think I've used my compact system more. Solely out of convinence.

NEX 7 looks real compelling as it seems to provide the same ergonomic manual control of a DSLR but in a more managable form factor. Lens choice is clear a draw back...

I rented an NEX 7 for an upcoming trip to test it out. Will decide what to do afterwards!

Edited by jmauricio, 27 July 2012 - 10:20 AM.

#4 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2278 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

Not NEX, but I bought a Panny GX1 and housing.

My D300s and it's housing have not been out of the closet since then.

Much lighter, easier to use and transport.

No appreciable difference in IQ.

Not saying that the D300s is not a better system, just saying I really like my GX1 setup.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#5 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2057 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

I've been through this is some detail in the last couple of months, and opted to stick with DSLR because of AF issues, lens choice, low light performance and the ability to print large images...

Tim

#6 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

It all depends on the requirement for the end-product. If you only ever look at your pictures at 72dpi (your computer's monitor) you've probbly already wasted your money!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#7 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:37 AM

Thanks for all the comments. I dont want a camera to hold me back, now or in the future, I'm willing to wait for more lenses and make do with whats available for niow, if I dont go this way it looks like it may be the D800 as there currently seems to be the only choice if I stick with SLR and want the latest tech, lack of demos in the area of both cameras is putting a major brick wall in making me decide. My images arent just on my monitor, but correct me if I am wrong, the NEX7 has 24MP x 1.6 =38.4, the D800 has 36mp? fair enough the NEX7 is cropped but is this not similar?
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#8 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2057 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:04 AM

My images arent just on my monitor, but correct me if I am wrong, the NEX7 has 24MP x 1.6 =38.4, the D800 has 36mp? fair enough the NEX7 is cropped but is this not similar?

The sensor spacing is important, as well as matching the sensor's resolution to the optical resolution. That's why the D4x is better than the D800: fewer sensors, more widely spread out, result in better low light performance, faster burst shooting and reduced sensor noise.

The D800 has better AF than any DX camera that I've used, and DX DSLRs have better AF than EVIL cameras at the moment.

There's some difficulty with choosing lenses and domes for an FX camera: there's just not the flexibility that a lens like the Tokina 10-17mm gives to a DX system, and mid-range wide-angles are notoriously difficult to shoot without a big dome. There are still gaps in the lenses available for EVIL systems, too.

I'm learning FX, but slowly!

Tim

Edited by tdpriest, 30 July 2012 - 02:05 AM.

#9 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:12 AM

Thanks for that explanation Tim :)
Cheers
Paul

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#10 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

Maybe this might be the one, NEX6
http://www.sonyalpha...gapixel-sensor/
Cheers
Paul

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#11 A.Y.

A.Y.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

Some good news on the NEX front:

First, an 18-200mm with power zoom and advanced OSS was announced, and it will be the new kit lens for the newest NEX-EA50 professional camcorder.

A hacker group has been at work, trying to enable higher bite rate 1080 60p videos on the NEX and Alpha cameras. The person who hacked the GH2 is also involved.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Some "SR5=almost certainly correct!" rumors.

- The biggest is that the NEX full frame rumors had finally received "SR5=almost certainly correct!" status. NEX FF will be able to use the 20 A-mount FF lenses with an adapter and use the E-mount lenses in "crop mode". I hope it has phase detection autofocus on the image sensor like the NEX-6 and NEX-5R.

- NEX-6 and NEX-5R will feature phase detection autofocus so they should be the first two mirrorless cameras with 1080 60p HD and phase detection video autofocus. Photos of both cameras have already surfaced.

- 16-50mm OSS pancake has power zoom and will be almost as small as the 16mm pancake.

- 11-18mm F4 won't be a pancake lens.

- 35mm F1.8 will be small.

Edited by A.Y., 20 August 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#12 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:59 AM

Well I pre-ordered an NEX6 last week, delivery's expected at the beginning of October, and a free 30 days no quibble refund is offered, anyone else pre-ordered one?
Cheers
Paul

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#13 A.Y.

A.Y.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:14 AM

I pre-ordered the 10-18mm F4 OSS, but will wait for the upcoming NEX Full Frame camera since I need an extra stop of high-iso performance and a body smaller than the NEX-VG900 FF camcorder. If the reviews on the phase detection autofocus are good, I'm planning to get a NEX-5R for my wife.

Similarly I went from EOS to NEX and it's nice that my Canon lenses can be used on the NEX system for top side.

Edited by A.Y., 19 September 2012 - 07:31 AM.

#14 Aliens

Aliens

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

I have the NEX7 in Nuticam housing. Couldn't be happoer. Love the EVF

#15 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:44 AM

What did you use before that Aliens?
Cheers
Paul

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#16 tdtaylor

tdtaylor

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:50 AM

I switched from FX (D700) to m4/3 (Nauticam and Oly OM-D) a couple of months ago. I could not be happier. I am finding the learning curve fairly easy. What little I give up in focusing speed, I gain heavily on the advantages from my humble opinion. Going from a 22-24 pound rig to a 11 pound rig, plus all the additional ports and lenses, has made travel much more pleasurable. I can now travel with the housing, 3 ports, 5-6 lenses, camera, backup camera, S&S flashes and accessories in a reasonable weight backpack and my regs/goggles/computer/laptop in a carry shoulder case without much issue. And now I can get everything else in one rolling duffle. Before, with the heavy DSLR lenses, ports, and strobes, much, including the housing went in the duffles, and I fought to keep two duffles under 50 pounds each and keep my backpack to a reasonable weight. The housing, two Ikelite 160s and an extra battery were alone 15 pounds. And it is much easier to get in, and "push" the unit through the water. My backup Canon S90 still goes in the duffle.

I still heavily us my D700 for sports, wildlife and events, but the OM-D has become my travel and UW setup. I have even left my beloved Leica system in the closet since I got the OM-D. If anyone is interested in a full Ikelite setup for cheap let me know........