• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 stphnmartin

stphnmartin

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:54 AM

I tried again last night with the 60mm and cmc-1. Getting a gauge as to the best subject size for this combination of lenses. Tried variations of MF and AFC with tracking. Couldn't get the latter to work at all probably due to the shallow depth of field. I'm using one area focus. I'm sure it's probably a familiarity thing, but when I get the camera underwater it doesn't respond like it does when I'm sitting at home just going through the settings! I tried AFC tracking on a hermit crab and the camera failed miserably. It would lock onto something when I was just trying to get it to auto focus!

Anyway, that was me screaming underwater in case you were wondering. Onward with the learning!

View dive videos on my youtube channel. Sony CX550, Bluefin housing, GoPro 4, Sola 3000s, Phantom 3 4k, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X

#22 stphnmartin

stphnmartin

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:25 AM

A quick clip of an octo eye using the 60mm and CMC-1. There was lots of particulate in the water as you'll see.

View dive videos on my youtube channel. Sony CX550, Bluefin housing, GoPro 4, Sola 3000s, Phantom 3 4k, Osmo, Final Cut Pro X

#23 stphnmartin

stphnmartin

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:48 PM

Learned something new today. Using a knockoff battery with the 12-50mm lens I've determined I can only get 1.25 dives before the battery dies. So, there is a drawback to cheaper brand-x batteries and I'll changed them out after each dive when using the 12-50mm. I think the electronic zoom helps to drain the battery.

Also giving up on auto ISO. 

#24 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:51 PM

Wow, can you explain? This is probably one of the main reasons why I'm looking to getting the GH5.

As at the moment I run the GH4 in S Priority and fix the ISO and let the camera adjust aperture, however a most of the lenses, this causes visible flicking, was hoping going for autoISO on the GH5 would get around this...

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#25 stphnmartin

stphnmartin

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:29 AM

Wow, can you explain? This is probably one of the main reasons why I'm looking to getting the GH5.

As at the moment I run the GH4 in S Priority and fix the ISO and let the camera adjust aperture, however a most of the lenses, this causes visible flicking, was hoping going for autoISO on the GH5 would get around this...

I've been getting a lot of graininess in video and I suspect it's the auto ISO. I shoot video in manual with 360 shutter angle. I adjust aperture for depth of field and was hoping auto ISO would adjust appropriately for exposure. The graininess could be related to custom white balancing, so I'm going to do another test to make sure that's not the issue. I've been setting a custom white balance and not resetting it as often as I should as depth and ambient light changes. Will let you know.

#26 bubffm

bubffm

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:25 PM

Learned something new today. Using a knockoff battery with the 12-50mm lens I've determined I can only get 1.25 dives before the battery dies. So, there is a drawback to cheaper brand-x batteries and I'll changed them out after each dive when using the 12-50mm. I think the electronic zoom helps to drain the battery.

I guess it depends on the brand. I got some bluemax batteries and they are lasting longer than the orig. Panasonic batteries.

#27 SWink

SWink

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:15 PM

Is that using the power zoom on the 12-50?

My Video: Panasonic GH4, Nauticam Housing, 7-14mm, 12-35mm, 45mm & Olypmus 14-42mm. Archon W42VR x 2, Inon LF800-N
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube..../SteveWinkworth

#28 stphnmartin

stphnmartin

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:29 PM

Is that using the power zoom on the 12-50?

Yes, power zooming it.

#29 Timccr

Timccr

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:52 AM

Hi Adam,

Is the Oly 12 - 40 parfocal on your GH5? Olympus tell me that both the 12-40 and the 7-14 are parfocal but there seems to be some doubt about this. Thanks, Tim

#30 adamtaylor

adamtaylor

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:28 PM

Hi Adam,

Is the Oly 12 - 40 parfocal on your GH5? Olympus tell me that both the 12-40 and the 7-14 are parfocal but there seems to be some doubt about this. Thanks, Tim

I am by no means familiar with good vs bad performance as a parfocal lens.

I do not zoom with my 12-40 lens while shooting so cannot comment on that.

But I have changed aperture to lighten or darken the image due to camera orientation relative to available light. Subjects seemed to remain in focus when kept within the general focal plane.

Keep in mind this was experimenting with with transitioning to an upwards angle near the surface, or in extremely dark environments at high ISO so I was not expecting perfect results.

Maybe someone else can provide a more definitive answer?

Regards

Adam

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
<p>Olympus OMD E-M5, Nauticam Housing,12-40 f2.8 with 180mmm dome & extensions, 12-50mm & 60mm in macro port, 8mm Panasonic Fisheye in 4" mini-dome, 2 x YS-D1, Sola 800

#31 Timccr

Timccr

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for the reply Adam. And yes, if any of you lucky people already in possession of a GH5 could comment it would be most appreciated.

#32 rollin

rollin

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Aquatic ecology, wildlife photography

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:47 AM

I shoot a shutter angle of 360° as I want all the light I can get on the Gh-5's small sensor.

In 60p, shutterspeed is 1/60s, which is in my opinion even better looking than 1/120s. Especially if you convert the footage to 30 fps or lower, which is the reason why lots of people use 60 fps anyway. Only in real slow motion a higher shutterspeed is desirable.

Autofocus is frustrating at times indeed. I use small AF-areas to adress this. In macro, I focus once with the back button and use focus peaking combined with moving the camera to keep things in focus.

#33 lutfu

lutfu

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

HELLO

is the nauticam macro port and the zoom gear of Olympus 12 50 for gh5 different from the port and zoom gear of Olympus 12 50 for gh4

with gh5 cant I use my nauticam port and zoom gear for 12 50   which I was using with gh4

thanks

lutfu

#34 bubffm

bubffm

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:45 PM

Hi, you need a different gear ring for the 12-50 gear to work woth the GH5. It's Nauticam part #90166. The other parts of that gear are identical for GH4/5.

http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=9425

#35 lutfu

lutfu

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:56 PM

Thank you for the information

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Panasonic GH5, Nauticam, Olympus 12-40