• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jplaurel

jplaurel

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:34 PM

Does anyone know what Wratten number cyan gel I might try over daylight video lights?

I have been playing with my Keldan Luna 8s fitted with cyan heads and they are really useful in getting natural-looking footage as deep as 20m or so. I white balance to a combination of the cyan light and ambient, and it gives you a natural looking background, while objects that are close don't go all red.

I'd like to find some gels to tape over my Sola 2000s to approximate the same effect as a more compact option. Something that would work well with a GoPro, for instance. It will cost around 2-3 stops of light, but I think it'd be a useful option, nonetheless.

Thanks - Jim

Edited by jplaurel, 30 July 2015 - 05:34 PM.

#2 Viz'art

Viz'art

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:19 AM

Jim, I did experiment with gel on the strobe, and found that using 80B gels along with a 15cc of green did the trick (swap the 15 for a 30 for subject further than 1.5m), these where hooked up on Ikelite Ai strobes which are somewhat warm to begin with, so you might need less blue with the sola,

as well I have some old Tiffen Cyan filter for the Underwater Ektachrome film, these seem like 30cc cyan to me.

Jean Bruneau 

www.vizart.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-800, Sigma 8mm & 15mm Fisheye, Nikon AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 4x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cyan, sola, keldan, white balance