• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 seansrs968

seansrs968

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:04 PM

Does anyone else have this housing? How do you like it so far? I just purchased one and have mixed opinions about it. I really do not care how the dome port attaches to the housing. Would love to hear what others have to say about it.

#2 ceckaa

ceckaa

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:41 PM

Does anyone else have this housing? How do you like it so far? I just purchased one and have mixed opinions about it. I really do not care how the dome port attaches to the housing. Would love to hear what others have to say about it.

Hi!

What type of extention ring do YOu have, or with what lens do You want to use it?

#3 Don in Colorado

Don in Colorado

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:14 PM

I had a Nikon D300s Ikelite housing that worked fine for me. The port attachment is a little spooky though, although it worked fine for me. I used it in some pretty crappy conditions, such as being towed back to the boat with 10 other divers, when the boat's mooring broke. The seal held tight.

I will probably buy an Ikelite D7000 housing soon. I am considering purchasing a Housing Sentry for my housing. http://www.uwcameras...ry_overview.htm

I had no problem with the port attachment, but it did not inspire great confidence. It appears to be much more secure with the 4 point lock, than it did with the 2 point lock. I use Ikelite strobes, and I like their built in TTL converter in their housing.

So, I would say I am happy with Ikelite. For the price, they can't be touched by any other housing. I do lust for the Aluminum housings, but I can't justify their cost for my minimal amount of diving.

#4 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

If you want true angst, about port attachment, try an aluminum system, where you cannot see the o-ring, after assembly.
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#5 ileiman

ileiman

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:26 AM

I have dived for over a year now with the Ikelite housing and Canon 7D. I have done two long live aboard trips in tropical waters (Indonesia and Red Sea), and lots of local dives in the Baltic Sea. A total of 100 logged open water dives, plus numerous test and training dives at pool.

It works and seems to be reliable as long as you take good care of it.
Comparing to anything else, I especially like the price of it. While even the Ikelite housing with ports isn't exactly cheap, all the others (Subal, Sea&Sea, Nauticam, Aquatica, Hugyfot) are ridiculously more expensive, and I really cannot find much justification into spending 2x or 3x the amount of money to a housing. Maybe Ikelite isn't as cool & nice as a Subal, but hey - look at the prices :)

What I don't like about the Ikelite is the weight and size of it on land, but below surface it doesn't matter if you use floats. Also the controls could be a little smoother to use, but you can live with that. There is no control for the joystick, which I miss a little, but you can live with that too. Also I don't like the idea of having to disassemble the whole system just to swap the camera battery and memory card, but you can live with that too - and in any case the battery typically lasts up to four one hour dives (= an entire day of diving).

Almost forgot: on my housing the live-view lever broke, but Ikelite repaired that for free under warranty, and changed it to an ordinary push-button, which I think works much better.

I strongly recommend changing the Ikelite arms to Stix arms with floats. That allows you to make your rig neutrally buoyant and well balanced under water. I also use Ikelite DS161 strobes, and those are very good & powerful strobes but unfortunately very heavy as well. The regular Ikelite arms are also too short for wide angle work.
Canon 7d, Tokina 10-17mm fisheye, Canon EF-S 60mm Macro, Sigma 10-17mm OS HSM, Ikelite housing,
2x Ikelite ds-161 strobes with Stix 12"+12" arms with floats.
Canon ixus 980is in Canon housing.
Olympus c8080wz in Olympus housing.
website www.leiman.fi.

#6 Otara

Otara

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:38 AM

If you want true angst, about port attachment, try an aluminum system, where you cannot see the o-ring, after assembly.

You cant with Ikelite either with the 10-17mm port, which is probably the most failure prone as well unfortunately, as its the only one you need to rotate to attach it.

So its a false sense of security as far as Im concerned and the design of the port mechanism is far more important than whether its transparent or not.

Otara