Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:39 AM

My favorite picture for 2008 :

Posted Image

#42 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:55 AM

Guys...don't forget the story behind these fantastic images. I'm riveted to the seat reading these things while looking at the world's best photos. Reading the passion behind them is quite a gift....thanks all and Merry Christmas!
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#43 Tim Digger

Tim Digger

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Hyperbaric Medicine Dive Photography Walking and Climbing

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:00 AM

I have had this photo in my brain for 8years, since before I started taking pics U/W. In Sept I repeated the Northern wrecks and reefs of the Red Sea and redived the Carnatic. My only regret my Sigma 17-70 was not wide enough for the shot I wanted. So at this time of year it is a shot looking back and forward. I will go again. With I hope a Tokina 10-17.
Seasons Greetings to all on a great web site,
Tim DiggerCarnatic2.jpg
Upgraded from D70s to Nikon D300s Dec2010. Lenses Sigma 17-70mm macro (non HSM) and 105mm macro. Tokina 10-17mm
Ikelite housing and DS125 and TTL converted DS50.

#44 secretsea18

secretsea18

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:37 AM

A wonderful thread with some very special images...

Here is mine: Skeleton shrimp taken of a dusk dive at Barren Island in the Andaman Islands taken in April. I think it looks like a salsa dancer complete with Carmen Miranda hat.

DSC_8670adj_for_laups__Small_.jpg

Taken with Nikon D80 with 60mm lens with Woody diopter in S&S housing with 2x Ike 125 strobes.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Robin

Edited by secretsea18, 20 December 2008 - 11:38 AM.

#45 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:19 PM

Loads of great stuff, here. Love the stories behind the favourites too. Keep 'em coming. Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#46 gecko1

gecko1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

Here's mine: A giant pacific octopus from Alaska. This guy was out and about in a shallow palm kelp forest near Port Alexander. At the time I was really bummed that I had the 105 on the camera instead of the 10-17 but in retrospect I think it was for the best as I really like this shot.

Posted Image

Clinton

Nikon D800, Nauticam Housing, Sigma 15 FE, Nikkor 17-35,105 VR Micro, 2x YS-350, ULCS arms, LMI Sola 800 Photo, Macromate

http://www.baue.org

http://metridium.com

#47 Nige Wade

Nige Wade

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:42 PM

Jeff,
Your pool shots take my breath away.
Well done you!!
And a merry christmas.
Nige Wade

http://www.wadeimaging.com
There's no dignity in diving. Especially as you get older.

Nikon D800 Subal ND800 housing Nikkor 16-35, 60, 105 and a Sigma 15 FE. Inon Z240's. ULCS arms.

#48 sgietler

sgietler

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:46 PM

wow, lots of wonderfuls shots here. great job everyone.

Here's my favorite behavior shot from 2008, a Bobbit worm capturing a goatfish, in Anilao. This action happened in less than a second, when the fish swam over the worm, the worm struck with lighting speed, and immediately the fish and worm disappeared into the sand, all that was left was a cloud of smoke. Nikon D300, 60mm lens, f8, cropped photo.

Posted Image

Edited by sgietler, 20 December 2008 - 07:20 PM.

#49 limeyx

limeyx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:57 PM

My favorite (from our Red Sea Trip :lol:

We were doing the (now infamous) "Dive 4 wrecks on one scooter dive and be back on the boat before breakfast" dive (Marcus, Carnatic, Ghanis D. + 1 more ?)

The shot is noisy and not really in focus, but is easily my favorite that I shot this year, as I am always blown away when I look more closely and see that the white "smudge" in the middle is a diver, which I think really shows off the scale of the wreck, & the vis.

Posted Image

#50 Sagen

Sagen

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:37 PM

Always have fun reading this post and figure I should actually contribute this time.

This is my favorite shot of the year. At the time this photo was taken, I was kicking as hard as I could to get into position and my mask was filling with sweat. This was our third dive that we had actually spotted "Big Senor", but prior to this pass I didn't have any great shots and I was not going home empty handed. Many thanks to the diver in the foreground for organizing and inviting my wife Jill and I along on a spectacular trip. It's been a struggle to get a decent print, but apparently I think it's worth the time investment to keep on trying.

I'll stick with the rules and just post this one (maybe someday I'll post some others from what's been a good year).

Taken at Darwin's Arch, Darwin Island, Galapagos. Female whale shark at 105 fsw. Canon 20D, Tokina 10-17mm

Posted Image

Edited by Sagen, 20 December 2008 - 11:43 PM.

Camera: Canon 20D w/100mm, 60mm, 10-22mm and Tokina 10-17mm, DS-125s and Light Canon rigged as Focus Light

#51 dkayuk

dkayuk

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:12 AM

My pictures used to be quite mediocre but after attending Maria's (Oceanvisions) u/w photoworkshop in Nuweiba in September 2008, I managed a few decent shots.

This was the best one. It was taken during a dawn dive (about 7am, I think) on the last day of the workshop. The lionfish were pretty calm and moving more slowly than usual. I managed to get a big lionfish to completely block the sun. The shot was taken at the Nuweiba Hilton Hotel House reef and won me a Sport Diver UK Readers pic of the month. It's the first time I actually won something!!

I used an Olympus SP350, Inon Fisheye conversion lens and Inon Z240 strobe (type 3). The fisheye lens were very very close to the lionfish....

Here's my image

Posted Image

thx

DK

#52 Tjsnapper

Tjsnapper

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:57 AM

Many thanks to all the Wetpixelers that have shared their knowledge on this site, it has been an invaluable source of information and inspiration.
Here is one of my favorites underwater photos this year (my first year of diving). It was taken in October, the second day after getting my PADI Adv Open water ticket. It was my first wreck dive and also the first time I had strapped the dome on the front of the camera. I would have preferred it if the Videographer was not hanging on the back of the Anit-Aircraft gun, but there you go.

thistle.jpg

Thanks .... and

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.

Tristan

Thanks Stew :lol:

Edited by Tjsnapper, 21 December 2008 - 03:21 AM.

No diving for 3 weeks-- work work work.
Web:www.tristanjonesphotography.com
Email:info@tristanjonesphotography.com
Blog:Visit My Blog

#53 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:15 AM

If anyone can tell me how to get the image to appear here it would be great I have tried [img] tags but i get this response " You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board. A valid format is: , an invalid format is: [url="http://www.domain.com/picture.one.gif""]http://www.domain.com/picture.one.gif"[/url]

Thanks .... and

Tristan

PM sent Tristan

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#54 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1750 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:08 AM

Hi all,

I hope it is OK to have more than one! There are such fantasic images on here-I love this thread!

I got married to the woman of my dreams on Kuredu Island in the Maldives in May. This is my gorgeous bride!

Posted Image

While we were there we did some diving! Whilst cruising between dive sites, we were surrounded by a massive school of Mantas. There were easilly a hundred of them, feeding in the plankton bloom, moving up and around the graceful arcs that they do while feeding. Some were even breaching! We got in with skin diving gear and this one particular ray moved in close as I dived down and these pictures were the result. It was actually brushing on my dome port! We spent a good hour or so in the water with them-these weren't the best of the series of images, but being that close to such a magnificent animal was very special.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wishing you all the very best for Christmas and great safe diving for 2009

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#55 lpp

lpp

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:24 AM

Here's mine ,

Beaver : Primed in BBC Wildlife Photographer in the Year, London 10/2008

_MG_0876.JPG

Laurent

#56 tubino

tubino

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Vacuum tube audio, vintage hi-fi, horn speakers, Tannoy dual concentric speakers.

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:49 AM

Wow, what a great thread with wonderful images and stories. From my first (and only, so far) trip with an SLR. I was pleased that I managed to get foreground and subject reasonably lit, subject in focus, and I like the peek-a-boo look of the shrimp. But mostly it's my favorite because it reminds me how absolutely luxuriously wonderful it was to take a slow leisurely shallow beach dive in the mornings at Eden Beach in Bonaire, and just watch what happens with the little things as the sun comes up. Nikon D200, Tamron 90mm, Sea & Sea YS-90DX x 2.

Posted Image
Nikon D300s, Ikelite housing + 2 Ike DS-160. Tokina 10-17 fisheye, 11-16mm, Sigma 50 macro, Nikon 105 VR, SubSee Magnifier.

#57 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:41 AM

Laurent,

Let me be the first to say what Mike Veitch was thinking, "nice beaver shot"

Anyway, my favorite non-contest worthy shot. I just thought it captured the soulful serenity of the underwater photographer as he waits to exit the water. Trying to capture it was difficult as the boat kept bobbing up and down quite significantly.

Posted Image

Edited by scorpio_fish, 21 December 2008 - 06:42 AM.

"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#58 lpp

lpp

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:02 AM

Oups...thank you Scorpio....Fantastic adventure..beaver meeting and WPY 2008...

#59 Andy Morrison

Andy Morrison

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:15 AM

Looks like I'm not the only one who went diving on their honeymoon this year.
Posted Image
This is a shot of my wonderful wife swimming through a huge school of yellow tail snapper at Snapper Ledge in the Florida Keys on our honeymoon. Maybe not my best shot of the year but it was by far the best dive of the year. We're mainly wreck divers who see very little fish where we dive so this was a treat.

#60 limeyx

limeyx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:41 AM

Many thanks to all the Wetpixelers that have shared their knowledge on this site, it has been an invaluable source of information and inspiration.
Here is one of my favorites underwater photos this year (my first year of diving). It was taken in October, the second day after getting my PADI Adv Open water ticket. It was my first wreck dive and also the first time I had strapped the dome on the front of the camera. I would have preferred it if the Videographer was not hanging on the back of the Anit-Aircraft gun, but there you go.

Thanks .... and

Tristan

Thanks Stew :lol:

Stunning!