10 replies to this topic

#1 Yusran Abdul Rahman

Yusran Abdul Rahman

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:underwater photography

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:19 AM

trying to find some review about XT1 for uw photography over the internet.. and surprisingly nobody has done it.. perhaps nobody use XT1 underwater... the camera itself is a very very good camera and there are lenses suitable for wide angle and macro photography available both from fuji itself and from zeiss..there's also camera housing available from nauticam together with the ports.. so why nobody has use it????

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1886 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:15 AM

I think one reason is that there is no real good macro lens for the system. The native 60 lens is only 1:2 and the Zeiss is expensive and slow focus. 

As for wide angle, I have no idea.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 Poliwog

Poliwog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Travel, 6 metre Bombard Explorer RIB, Triumph Spitfire 1500, Amateur Radio(VE3WRP)

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:41 PM

I have the X-E2 and think it is a wonderful camera. I really enjoy it and love not having the anti-aliasing filter on the sensor.

I would love to take the X-E2 underwater with me and have spent hours looking for a housing for X-E2, but have not come up with anything yet.

I am tempted to try and fabricate a housing for it, but don't know if it would be worth the effort.

I could upgrade to the X-T1 but the response to my question from Nuaticam about using focus and aperture gears together at the same time was so "off putting", that I decided not to purchase their X-T1 housing at all.

Paul Walker.
Nikon D2x, D7000, Aquatica D2x, AD7000, SunStrobe 200 x2, Inon Z240 x2, TLC Arms

#4 njcfm

njcfm

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:17 PM

the auto focus was fairly slow... it has been improved recently but still no reviews. 

On the rock that is Bermuda, if anyone is visiting let me know

#5 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2364 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:20 PM

The only criterion for housing a camera is if enough of them are sold that a manufacturer will make a housing for it.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#6 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1101 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

Nauticam's owner Edward Lai used the camera in Taiwan, and he had lots of positive things to say about color and resolving power.  His feedback is valuable, as I don't know many people that have used more, different cameras underwater.

Image gallery:

https://nauticam.smu...A-XT1/i-XnVxcTJ

#7 njcfm

njcfm

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:27 AM

Nauticam's owner Edward Lai used the camera in Taiwan, and he had lots of positive things to say about color and resolving power.  His feedback is valuable, as I don't know many people that have used more, different cameras underwater.

Image gallery:

https://nauticam.smu...A-XT1/i-XnVxcTJ

is his review online anywhere? would love to read it

gallery of images looks nice.

#8 Andy Morrison

Andy Morrison

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:37 AM

Here is what Reef has to say about the Zeiss 12mm - "It is the sharpest super wide rectilinear lens behind a dome port we have ever tested on any format. Corner sharpness here outperforms the best Nikon and Canon glass on professional full frame bodies at equivalent coverage angles. It also compares favorably to the best APS-C DSLR cameras, and the best that the Olympus / Panasonic Micro Four Thirds system has to offer."

They make this lens in Fuji mount as well and the price has dropped considerably. I have been shooting an X T1 and X Pro1 for 90 percent of my daily photojournalism work and love them.

The autofocus of the X T1 is really quite good. Is it Canon good? No. But it's good. I've not shot it underwater and have no plans to. But I think the autofocus would be just fine for wide angle work, not sure about macro. Maybe, maybe not.

The file quality is great and will match my 5D MKIII up to about ISO 2,500 IMO.
It's a great camera but I'd have to see how well it works in a housing. And since I shoot strictly wide angle as nice as the Zeiss is it is still not wide enough for my needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 njcfm

njcfm

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:40 AM

Here is what Reef has to say about the Zeiss 12mm - "It is the sharpest super wide rectilinear lens behind a dome port we have ever tested on any format. Corner sharpness here outperforms the best Nikon and Canon glass on professional full frame bodies at equivalent coverage angles. It also compares favorably to the best APS-C DSLR cameras, and the best that the Olympus / Panasonic Micro Four Thirds system has to offer."

They make this lens in Fuji mount as well and the price has dropped considerably. I have been shooting an X T1 and X Pro1 for 90 percent of my daily photojournalism work and love them.

The autofocus of the X T1 is really quite good. Is it Canon good? No. But it's good. I've not shot it underwater and have no plans to. But I think the autofocus would be just fine for wide angle work, not sure about macro. Maybe, maybe not.

The file quality is great and will match my 5D MKIII up to about ISO 2,500 IMO.
It's a great camera but I'd have to see how well it works in a housing. And since I shoot strictly wide angle as nice as the Zeiss is it is still not wide enough for my needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thanks for the review, I'm searching for my next setup and Fuji is really producing some great cameras I just have concerns about the autofocus being fast enough for fish, macro, and even quick larger animals.  The lens selection isn't perfect either but i'm sure what is out would suffice. 

Basically looking for anything to reduce the size/weight of my rig =)

#10 thatdylanguy

thatdylanguy

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:24 AM

Wanted to bump this thread as I love my Fujifilm X-T1 for topside use, and really want to move to the NA-XT1 housing to replace my Sony RX100II setup. I've got the X-T1, 10-24mm f4 and would buy the Zeiss touit macro if I went with the X-T1 for underwater use. 

I'm a big fan of the colour rendition of the Fujifilm, far more so than Sony. I've also looked at the Olympus EM5 MkII setup, purely for underwater use, but that seems overkill given I wouldn't want to replace my Fujifilm gear with it for use topside. Final alternative is sell off my Nikon D700 system (no housing, only used topside), my Fujifilm X-T1 setup and go all in on Sony A7II or A7RII, for both UW and topside use, but I'm wary of the extra size the Sony system brings with a decent increase in lens size, if not body, over the Fujifilm system.

My main concern in going with Nauticam and the X-T1 is there's zero feedback anywhere on it, good bad or otherwise. I was talking with the Australian distributor of Nauticam a couple of weeks ago (when I upgraded to dual Z240s for my RX100II rig), and he said he hadn't sold a single NA-XT1 housing. It's pretty clear to me there's never going to be an upgrade pathway from Nauticam for the X-T2 (or X-T1 MkII), based on the very low take-up of the NA-XT1. It seems like the N85 port system has widespread use across Sony E mount, M43rds, Canon EOS-M and Nikon CX mirrorless lines, which may give options for using a future Fujinon fisheye I guess..

Would it be a huge mistake to go with the unloved, unknown X-T1 Nauticam setup?

#11 Diver4fun

Diver4fun

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 10:19 PM

The XT-1 is already a few years old, you might want to wait for the XT-2, there are a few rumors going. IMO If it's good Nauticam will definitately make a housing for it. 

Keep in mind there are very few lens options though. Still looks like a decent choice.

My Flickr underwater album - https://flic.kr/s/aHskUKoqFw

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fujifilm, Fuji, XT1, Nauticam, Underwater, Photography