5 replies to this topic

#1 andycornish

andycornish

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:09 PM

Morning All,

After a lot of reading on forum, researching on prices and generally delaying spending money I seem to have narrowed down my choice to two lenses:

Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5             Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye

I am leaning towards the Sigma as it is a prime and i gain a couple of f stops, I have a 50mm prime I use on land and I like how crisp the images are compared to 'normal' zoom.

For reference I am currently using a Canon EOS (mirrorless) with a 22mm lens in a housing, but will be taking my DSLR underwater once I can save the funds for strobes then a housing.

Cheers

Andrew

#2 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2232 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:37 PM

Hi Andrew

I'd suggest the Tokina 10-17mm is the lens of choice for DX users; and the Sigma 15mmFE for FX users. 

I've had both: the Tokina 10-17 on a Nikon D300 (a DX SLR); and, now, the Sigma 15mm on a  Nikon D800 (an FX SLR). They are both excellent lenses if used as I suggest.

If I was using a DX format SLR I'd stick with the Tokina. But with FX, its the Sigma.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#3 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2225 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:24 PM

Hi Andy,

To reiterate Tim's excellent post-you are (somewhat) comparing apples to oranges.

The Tokina 10-17mm is a cropped sensor lens, whereas the Sigma 15mm is a full frame sensor lens.

If your SLR is a Canon, you should also consider the Canon 8-15mm (which works on both crop and full frame sensors.)

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#4 megtooth

megtooth

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:37 PM

I agree on the -15.  I own and have shot both the Tokina and now, the Canon 8-15 using my 7D in a Nauticam housing with the 100mm Nauticam dome.  Both are tack sharp, fast focusing and have a great zoom range.  Excellent zoom for shooting large fish (like sharks) as you need to stay with your group if you are with the big guys (like tigers or hammerheads)  These lenses are extremely wide!!!  Also they are fantastic for close focus wide angle shots.  Either will add a new dimension to your shooting.  I was initially frustrated by the lens til i realized you have to get really close to normal sized things on the  reel.  Then it all comes together.  I am going to be housing a Canon 5D Mark III and noticed your signature have a Nauticam housing as well.  If so, I am interested in selling my Tokina 10-17, Nauticam zoom gear and the 20mm port extension/with lock.  You just need to add the 100mm Nauticam dome and you are good to go. PM me if you are interested.  

#5 andycornish

andycornish

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:27 AM

Thank you for the informative and helpful feedback I am definitely now considering the tokina 10-17mm, the price difference with the canon 8-15mm I think would be better spent towards a new strobe (as the last one flooded).

Having never used a fisheye lens I am looking forward to the challenge and bringing a new aspect to my photography.

@megatooth I will send you a PM

#6 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2232 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:44 AM

Hi Andy

I doubt you'll regret that decision. The Tokina is pretty darned good and just so flexible.

One thing I would suggest you do watch out for, I've seen a few Tokina 10-17's (mine included) where part of the barrel came unstuck! If it does, don't panic (!), it fits back on quite easily and doesn't effect the operation of the lens. But it sure is a bit scary when it first happens. There is a type of double sided tape that seems to hold this particular bit in place and, perhaps, in warm conditions or under pressure from a zoom ring, it can come unstuck and the part if holds detaches.

I don't know if megtooth has had this issue but, as I say, it's not a show-stopper at all.

Have fun with your new gear when you get it. 

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Canon, Fisheye, sigma, tokina, compact, dslr