Photo
- - - - -

Dear Housing Manufacturer, my wishlist is ....

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1061 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Manager / Handyman at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 11 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

DOS? What's that? I didn't see it in either XP or Vista...j/k. What about MAC users?
And if you did do that, how would you change the button labeling? If you reassign them and then forget what you reassigned them to, it could be interesting u/w...

It's only MAC users who would forget what they've changed them to..... :)

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio for June / July 2014!!

#22 sjspeck

sjspeck

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:U/W Video

Posted 11 March 2007 - 04:06 PM

I'd like to see the manufacturers keep their websites more current. When new camera models are released it sometimes takes months for them to be listed as compatible or not on mfrs. websites. I realize that in some cases they just don't know until they are able to obtain a sample for testing but don't most mfr's have a new product liaison for this sort of thing. In several cases, new camera models share an existing shell so at least some mention of a housing in progress would be nice. Most consumers don't attend the video industry trade shows where these items are sometimes displayed pre-production.

Not to bag on Amphibico, but I've read several posts and seen a pre-production picture of their new HD Monitor on a scuba forum. Yet nothing on their website as of a few days ago. And it's something I'm sure many HD videographers would be really interested in.

And one more thing, how about standardizing the connectors used on external monitors so it's not such a hassle to use other manufacturers...

And in a similar vein, I've found out about several different accessories for my housing that aren't listed anywhere on the housing mfr's site. If you sell it, please list it so we can buy it...

Edited by sjspeck, 11 March 2007 - 04:17 PM.

#23 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 11 March 2007 - 04:18 PM

Not to bag on Amphibico, but I've read several posts and seen a pre-production picture of their new HD Monitor on a scuba forum. Yet nothing on their website as of a few days ago. And it's something I'm sure many HD videographers would be really interested in.

And in a similar vein, I've found out about several different accessories for my housing that aren't listed anywhere on the housing mfr's site. If you sell it, please list it so we can buy it...

I aggree as well.
Quite often we have gone to another site and brought online a product (Non Diving) just because they had more info about it with pics and stuff. People need info about sutff for sure and will go and read reviews on products that they want before they buy and it's more and more on the internet and less in mags....

Like I wonder how many folks went and tried EDIUS because of my postings and stuff :) .
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#24 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 05:50 PM

In several cases, new camera models share an existing shell so at least some mention of a housing in progress would be nice. Most consumers don't attend the video industry trade shows where these items are sometimes displayed pre-production.

In defence of all manufacturers, the big electronics companies tend to have a big long line for their demos. They first go for their big market of production houses etc. U/W is still a minor market. So the housing manufacturers are pretty low on the list.
Recently, I even had to give my contact to one of the manufacturers because their Canon rep was slow in getting a loaner camera to them. I've had to climb mountains to get a Sony V1U tester, and I asked in Aug 06! I had to use my industry buddy's camera in Dec because Sony's response was so glacial.
There are are a lot of mitigating circumstances. For instance, housing manufacturers have to gauge the sales of cameras in order to support them (esp camera specific housings like the Sony FX/Z1 etc). I'd been told by a major manufacturer since last Nov they'd build a housing for the HDR-FX7/V1 but they never announced it and still haven't, because they are waiting on the sales figures and also interest level.
As you say, it's easier to deal with the little consumer cameras since they tend to be of similar size. But even those throw in a big surprise once in a while, like the HC1/A1 telemacro mode and the older lanc boards problem.
So it is understandable that manufacturers fence sit until they are sure the product is going to launch. It's pretty embarassing if they had to backtrack on an announcement.
However, I have to agree that the websites in general could be improved on ease of navigation and search.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#25 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:48 AM

...I'd been told by a major manufacturer since last Nov they'd build a housing for the HDR-FX7/V1 but they never announced it and still haven't, because they are waiting on the sales figures and also interest level.

UT OH :)

I think I'm in trouble :P

#26 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:42 AM

Ron, you're fine... at least 2 of the major housing manufacturers are covering the Sony FX7. You should be a happy camper by June... poorer... but happy. :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#27 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:47 AM

By then we will be using the A2 with 2lux capability... :)

Or the Z2 with 1lux

Or the V2 with 1lux

Or the

Or the

Dive safe

Dean(you may say I'm a dreamer..But I'm not the only one)B
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#28 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:14 AM

Ron, you're fine... at least 2 of the major housing manufacturers are covering the Sony FX7. You should be a happy camper by June... poorer... but happy. :)

That's a relief to know. What is taking the housing mfr.'s so long ?

Just got back from Curacao video-less. Naturally, I saw some really cool stuff like box crabs, eels feeding, etc..

#29 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:50 PM

The timescales indicate they're having to tool bodies/lenses from scratch. Seems like they couldn't just stick the new cams in those old VX2X00/PD1X0 bodies as we thought they might.

Machining from a solid lump (e.g. Gates) can be implemented quickly on CNC machinery, but making new die-casting tools (e.g. Amphibico) takes months.

#30 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10639 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 02:47 PM

Another wish is to support Assign Buttons on cameras that have them. Often these buttons are invaluable to switching camera settings on the fly.

Drew

#31 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:23 PM

Better cable management for umbilical lights, so the cables from the batteries to the light heads are properly integrated into the light arms (but still easy to replace if necessary). I know some lights have this already but not all.

#32 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:38 AM

The Gates housing for the V1/FX7 will have assign button access.

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#33 videodan

videodan

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:05 AM

My wish list is for the upcoming Sony XDCAM eX camera housings.

1. Design housing with one premium wide angle lens (Full Zoom Thru, zero distortion) to complement the Fujinon 14X lens. Housing to be perfectly balanced for that lens.

2. Three flip arms for: CC Filter, Macro Lens arm with assorted changeable dioptors, and Expodisc or similar White Balance Filter.

3. Full electronic/mechanical controls for all key functions, including Assign Buttons.

4. Gain adjustment must be easily accessible.

5. Gyro Stabilizer for steadier shots.

Most important of all: Start designing now, so we don't have to wait over a year after the camera starts shipping to get our housings. Shoot for no more than a two month wait. Yes, it can be done.

I'm sure I missed a few things, so feel free to add to this list.

Dan

Edited by videodan, 21 April 2007 - 06:12 AM.

Daniel Deck
Light & Motion Bluefin HD, Sony FX1, L&M HID's
Previous: AquaVideo FX1, L&M Bluefin Pro V900

#34 Roger Eve

Roger Eve

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Amateur u/w videography. Warm Waters only :-)
    Sailing, Flight Simulation....
    Enjoying a healthy (so far) retirement :-))

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:04 AM

The Gates housing for the V1/FX7 will have assign button access.

Hi Dean,

That is very good to know. Where did you glean that bit of information?

Roger
Roger "Bones" Eve - Arundel England

#35 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:56 PM

Hi Dean,

That is very good to know. Where did you glean that bit of information?

Roger

Marinevisions has a great page on the Gates FX7 housing. Plenty of pictures and information.

Marinevisions FX7 Page

Joe was kind enough to send me an enlarged picture showing the controls and the assign button.

fx7_cu.jpg

Edited by ronrosa, 21 April 2007 - 08:31 PM.

#36 Roger Eve

Roger Eve

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Amateur u/w videography. Warm Waters only :-)
    Sailing, Flight Simulation....
    Enjoying a healthy (so far) retirement :-))

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:20 AM

Hi Ron,

Thanks for that. I have seen the marine visions pages, but I couldn't read the name on that button on their screen shots. Your photo is higher res. and all is now clear. That could be a very useful feature.

Roll on May. I suspect you are probably in the US ( no need to say), so you may well get access to the housing before those of us on these little islands to the west of Europe. I will be most interested in getting info from you on the housing - specifically the space available for w/a converter etc.

Cheers

Roger
Roger "Bones" Eve - Arundel England

#37 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:00 AM

Can I only see one 'Assign' button on this housing... :blink:

I was all fired up for the V1 but now I'm going XDCAM EX mental... :D :P :wacko:

If this baby has a decent Lux level I am going to buy two :blink:

V'dan is right though.. the manufacturers should be working on housings asap because theres going to be a stampede for these units...where do I put my deposit ?

YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAA XDCAM... :) sorry i'm losing it again

Dive safe

Dean(xdcam ex)B
Facebook me ;)

#38 ronrosa

ronrosa

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:31 PM

You are tough to please Dean. :wacko:

The way I look at it, one assign button is better than none. Same goes for the flip diopter. Most of the other manufacturers don't have these features.

If all goes according to plan, I'll see a prototype on May 17th at a NY club meeting, place my order, experiment with weighting and controls locally and take it on a my August dive trip to Cocoview.

Edited by ronrosa, 22 April 2007 - 02:50 PM.

#39 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:44 AM

Your correct Ron...But you've been waiting this long..Lets have perfection.

Be good to hear your thoughts when you get one...

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#40 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:11 PM

My wish list is for the upcoming Sony XDCAM eX camera housings.

1. Design housing with one premium wide angle lens (Full Zoom Thru, zero distortion) to complement the Fujinon 14X lens. Housing to be perfectly balanced for that lens.

2. Three flip arms for: CC Filter, Macro Lens arm with assorted changeable dioptors, and Expodisc or similar White Balance Filter.

3. Full electronic/mechanical controls for all key functions, including Assign Buttons.

4. Gain adjustment must be easily accessible.

5. Gyro Stabilizer for steadier shots.

Most important of all: Start designing now, so we don't have to wait over a year after the camera starts shipping to get our housings. Shoot for no more than a two month wait. Yes, it can be done.

I'm sure I missed a few things, so feel free to add to this list.

Dan

6. Achieve neutral buoyancy when lights/monitor are in place without adding external floatation (i.e. make it positively buoyant when lights/monitor are not fitted and then add weights to make it neutral when there are no lights/monitor fitted).