14 replies to this topic

#1 kraft2000

kraft2000

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:04 PM

Hi !

I've read some pretty nice review about the XT-2 for still photography and video ( with lots of very good lenses ) and many many people chose it as the best camera of 2016.

Many people compare it to the a6500, and a majority of them prefer the Fuji.

Anybody knows why there aren't that much interest for this camera for underwater photography ?

There are several factor  that would make this camera perform quite well :

• the fuji color rendition seems to be one of the most pleasant
  • good low light photography because of APSC sensor
  • good sharpness coming from the lack of low pass filter
  • good set of wide angle lenses

The only limiting factor would be the lack of IBIS ( I'm very interested in the EM1 mk2 just for this feature ) and good macro lenses for the X-mount.

I didn't find any housing for it, but Nauticam built a housing for the XT-1 a few years ago. I don't think it was very popular as well ... 

Has anybody tried the XT-1 underwater ?

#2 Samy's Photo and Video

Samy's Photo and Video

Starfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Warm Water, Cold Water, Surf, General Travel and Cultural Discovery.

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:51 PM

From this site.

I couldn't find a link to Mr Lai's review.

The XT-2 is a great camera with an ever expanding line of lenses.

https://nauticam.smu...A-XT1/i-XnVxcTJ

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 12.38.34 PM.png

Edited by Samy's Photo and Video, 21 January 2017 - 12:52 PM.

AquaTech - Aquatica - Amphibico - Nauticam - Seacam - Sea & Sea - Ikelite - Fantasea Line - Zen - Inon- Light & Motion - Keldan

ULCS - Technical Lighting Control - Beneath The Surface - GoPro - Knekt - Xit-404 - SubSee - AO - WaterShot - DJI - PolarPro

Canon - Nikon - Sony - Leica - Fuji - Phase - RED - Panasonic - Olympus - Zeiss - Sigma - Tamron - Lexar - Sandisk

ThinkTank - Tamrac - Tenba - Pelican - SKB - Tokina - Hoya - Kenko - Tiffen - Schneider - Metabones - Rode - Sennheiser

Samy's Camera Underwater Photo & Video 

431 South Fairfax Avenue, Los Angeles CA 90036   323-938-2420 ext. 1330

www.samys.com  │ 

:fishblue:  :bananashark:  :surfing:  :lobster:  :uwphotog:  :fishred:  :island:  :drink:

#3 LensTravels

LensTravels

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:47 PM

Absolutely love my X-T2 and would love to try it out underwater, but haven't found any housing for it yet.  I was searching the net again and came across this company. http://www.subal.com..._GoPro/XT2.aspx 

#4 Draq

Draq

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:14 AM

Although I have never owned one, Subal housings have an excellent reputation for quality and are undoubtedly one of the best housing brands.  I would not hesitate to use one.

#5 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 1858 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:59 AM

I'm with Draq. I've had 5 Subals - for the Nikon Coolpix 5000, D100, D200, D300 and now D800. I think they are superb.  

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE - Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#6 kraft2000

kraft2000

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:38 AM

Interesting ! although I didn't find any dome or ports compatible with the fuji lenses on their website .

#7 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

Nauticam took a wait and see approach to X-T2 demand, monitoring requests before deciding whether or not to produce the housing.  In the end there was sufficient demand, and this will be rolling out in the next few weeks.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#8 kraft2000

kraft2000

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:53 AM

Excellent news ! 

I would be interested in the performances of fast wide angle primes like XF 16mm f/1.4, and which dome or port to use with.

Also, If the lack of IBIS can be compensated with good OIS as in the 10-24 f4 OIS, I'll most definitely switch to Fuji.

#9 njcfm

njcfm

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:02 PM

Nauticam took a wait and see approach to X-T2 demand, monitoring requests before deciding whether or not to produce the housing.  In the end there was sufficient demand, and this will be rolling out in the next few weeks.

I have to admit it is really frustrating for manufacturers to do this.. I would have happily placed a pre-order as soon as the camera came out if they offered that option..   I have been fighting jumping the canon ship for awhile and i love my fuji x-pro1.. 

the lack of housings for canon's mirror less line and fuji's stinks, hope to see this happen really soon even though it will likely cost me a bunch of money. 

On the rock that is Bermuda, if anyone is visiting let me know

#10 Joss

Joss

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:08 PM

Good news, I'm still making my mind between the EM1 mark2 and the Fuji XT-2 system.

I would like to see full compatibility with:
     Zeiss Touit 12mm (aperture ring)
     Fujifilm XF 10-24mm and
     Zeiss Touit 50mm

Hopefully with N120 port system in order to avoid the expensive N85 to N120 adapter and also in this way, we don't need to remove the lens everytime we take out the camera from the housing.
Extra space for the power booster  grip will be awesome, might be to much to ask though.

#11 kraft2000

kraft2000

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:05 AM

I just got a response from Nauticam . They will release the housing quite soon, and here is the compatibility chart :

https://drive.google...w?usp=drive_web

#12 njcfm

njcfm

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:51 AM

it is may and I haven't been able to find/see this housing anywhere.. 

guess i'll just stick with what is available. 

On the rock that is Bermuda, if anyone is visiting let me know

#13 LensTravels

LensTravels

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

Nauticam has finally released it's underwater housing for the XT-2: http://www.housingca...ifilm-x-t2.html.

#14 tbumgarner

tbumgarner

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:21 PM

I got my copy of the NA-XT2 housing from Nauticam about six weeks ago. It's very nice though I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces yet. I'm still awaiting my Retra strobes and other bits and pieces to finish the full kit. I have the wide angle covered with the Fuji 10-24 and the Nauticam wide angle dome port. I have the Fuji 80mm macro arriving on Friday on the macro side. I hope that Nauticam will support that macro otherwise I'll have to get the 60mm as it is currently supported. My next dive isn't until Bonaire in February and then a trip to the Philippines in June. Hopefully I have everything squared away by then. I'm coming from a Nikon D7000 and Ikelite setup, that worked well, but I've switched completely to Fuji for my camera system.

Edited by tbumgarner, 22 November 2017 - 08:32 PM.

#15 LensTravels

LensTravels

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:21 PM

I'm going to hold off just a while longer before purchasing my Nauticam XT-2 housing; I'm waiting for the new Fujifilm XF 8-16mm F2.8 R LM WR to come out later next mid-year. Love my 14-24mm f2.8 Nikkor and was hoping Fujifilm would come out with an equivalent.