• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

John even in todays magazines a heavily cropped image from the 10.2mp Nikon D200 will still makes the front cover? So in practice you wouldn't see the difference between the 15mm Sigma in FF D800 and Tokina 10-17mm in Dx mode of the D800 unless you want billboard size and/or want your image heavily cropped to produce many different images from that one image.

So back to the original posters question "How useful is the Tokina 10-17mm on the D800" can we concur that the Tokina is still a useful lens on the Nikon D800 unless you require the 36mp image size for large printing or heavy cropping of the image?

Regards Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#22 cristiansub

cristiansub

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Professional Photographer
    for work: still life, advertising and wedding.
    for fun: underwater, reportage.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Well with the D800 you can safely use ISO 3600 and a smaller f/stop/faster shutter-speed. Maybe that's where the problem lies.

There's something wrong if it's require to use the closest f/stop (16-22), with the 10,5mm at f8 at the same distance and condition don't make this problem in the border.
I have 2 D700 and 1 D800, ok they are good to the high ISO but the sharpness the you have ant the minimum ISO is better.

Cristian.

#23 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

John even in todays magazines a heavily cropped image from the 10.2mp Nikon D200 will still makes the front cover? So in practice you wouldn't see the difference between the 15mm Sigma in FF D800 and Tokina 10-17mm in Dx mode of the D800 unless you want billboard size and/or want your image heavily cropped to produce many different images from that one image.

So back to the original posters question "How useful is the Tokina 10-17mm on the D800" can we concur that the Tokina is still a useful lens on the Nikon D800 unless you require the 36mp image size for large printing or heavy cropping of the image?

Regards Mark

That's a good summary of my opinion - but why get a D800 at all when a D300 will do the job?

Edited by John Bantin, 05 January 2013 - 01:35 PM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#24 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

"but why get a D800 at all when a D300 will do the job"

I guess it goes back to your earlier posting. We all have performance which we dont need and use, But its nice to know its there just incase you need it.

My query isnt about why have a D800 over a DX camera like D7000 its more about comparing the 15mm Sigma directly against the versatile Tokina 10-17mm and what is required in domes to get the best performance. The best way to compare both lenses directly is to use the D800 in FF and DX mode.

With rumours of a D7000 replacement or maybe an introduction of D400 within the next few months with a 24mp image size in DX format the new question would be "Why get the D800 when the D7100/D400 will do the job and allow billboard sizing and heavily cropping of images".

Regards Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

#25 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

With rumours of a D7000 replacement or maybe an introduction of D400 within the next few months with a 24mp image size in DX format the new question would be "Why get the D800 when the D7100/D400 will do the job and allow billboard sizing and heavily cropping of images".

Because I will have undertaken about another half-dozen dive trips with the D800 by then?

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#26 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Fair enough John but it would be an interesting comparison between the D800 and the new DX flagship when it is released wouldnt you say???

#27 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

The problem is that we have to choose something and once it's paid for, one is committed. I still use a D200 for studio product shots (smaller files - control of dynamic range by lighting). I shoot my topside travel pictures with a Canon G1X. Great quality, very compact, but I'm not really comfortable with a compact. I'd rather use a DSLR. It's a personal thing. I hope that I'll be satified with the D800 for some time to come. I'm not really into kit as long as I can do the job. I'll leave the camera comparisons to Adam and Alex.

Edited by John Bantin, 06 January 2013 - 04:33 AM.

#28 VizBiz

VizBiz

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

I have just bought a D800 and hope to use it with this lens..

Does it run the sensor in crop mode, or do i still get full resolution?

Thanks
I dive and take pictures....
VizBiz
See them HERE

#29 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

I have just bought a D800 and hope to use it with this lens..

Does it run the sensor in crop mode, or do i still get full resolution?

Thanks

You can set the camera to DX mode manually and otherwise you get the full resolution. But after seeing some comparisons with the Sigma and the Nikon FE-lenses the Tokina was clearly providing the worst quality (not to speak about adding a TC), so i sold it. But as long as you don't do comparisons you probably will be satisfied.

Udo

Edited by Udo van Dongen, 21 January 2013 - 01:21 AM.

www.udovandongen.com
Nikon D800, D800E, Hugyfot housing, 15 mm fisheye, 16-35 mm WA, 105mm VR Macro, 60 mm Macro, Subsee +5 an +10 wet diopters, Inon Z-240 strobes (3x), Inon float arms, Nauticam armclamps, Bigblue and Inon focus lights.

check out more photos on the facebook

#30 kmsellin

kmsellin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Kmsellin,

At what scale do you start seeing the difference (largest image printed with D800 vs largest image with a Dx)? What sizing for magazines does the cool D800 do which a DX camera like the D7000 can't do?

Regards Mark

Hi Mark,

This is a good thread with alot of good questions! I think you will be happy with the Tokina on the D800 if you are happy with it on the D7000 or similar. But....this is just as long that you dont start to compare side by side pictures... With the Sigma 15mm, the diffrent is just really big! But to you need it? If you don´t do big prints and heavy croping you will be more than fine with D300s/D7000. I recently had a covershot for DYK with just the D300s and the Tokina 10-17mm. And I am quite sure that the quality would not be worse with the Nikon D800 and the Tokina in DX mode. But when you start to see all the details you can get out from the D800 with a good lens you just want more...Why? I don´t know, Do you need it? Probobly not! But, its just amazing how much you can do with the pictures. I also discover that I take picture in slight diffrent way with the D800. I don´t need to compose the picture perfect direkt in the Viewfinder, I can leave abit of more "Air" and the fix it later. This is specially good when it comes to Macroshots, but also wideangle.

I don´t know really what more to tell you. Just try the diffrent combos and see what you like! The biggest diffrent for me is FX vs DX...now when I am starting to control it....I never want to go back to DX. But thats just me!

Good luck with your choice!

Attached Images

• DYK - Cover.jpg