• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 clairegoodwin

clairegoodwin

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:49 PM

Claire, when testing strobe cables with a multi-meter, check, obviously for low impedance along each conductor. But also check for infinite impedance between the conductors. I have cables that got dampness within, and checking on a high range showed slight conductivity between some wires. And it produced all kinds of headaches until I discovered this and changed the cable.

Thanks Pete - that's good to know for next time!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

#22 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, medicine, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:42 AM

Hi Claire: 

What you describe sounds like the ancient conflict of Sync (electric) vs fiberoptic cables.  My sync cables were a source of continuing trouble and failure (also for my dive buddy) so I sold my Ikelite strobes and switched to fiberoptic cables for my Inon Z240 and now S&S YS-D2 strobes. 

Result: strobe firing problems are gone.  Caveat: Ikelite strobes require sync cables or hybrid cables. 

I made my own fiberoptic cables out of Toshiba hi-fi Toslink cable from eBay, never a problem for 4 years, reliable, cheap (under $5.) and tough.  

Best of luck!

#23 clairegoodwin

clairegoodwin

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:15 AM

Hi Claire: 
What you describe sounds like the ancient conflict of Sync (electric) vs fiberoptic cables.  My sync cables were a source of continuing trouble and failure (also for my dive buddy) so I sold my Ikelite strobes and switched to fiberoptic cables for my Inon Z240 and now S&S YS-D2 strobes. 
Result: strobe firing problems are gone.  Caveat: Ikelite strobes require sync cables or hybrid cables. 
I made my own fiberoptic cables out of Toshiba hi-fi Toslink cable from eBay, never a problem for 4 years, reliable, cheap (under $5.) and tough.  
Best of luck!

Interesting Kraken! - oh dear might be time for a strobe upgrade too......

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk