Need Saga +25 info

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:14 PM

Does anyone come across info about Saga +25 macro diopter, or have used it before? How is it compare to Nauticam SMC or CMC-1?

I need a very strong macro diopter, any recommendation? Beside Saga?

Thanks!

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1911 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:23 AM

A lot depends on your focus distance needs. Once you get beyond +15 or so the biggest worries are DOF and can you find the critter. I think the CMC is very well designed (at least for my macro lens) and is quite nice optically. I haven't seen the Saga but always worry about CA with such lenses.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:59 PM

Thanks Bill,

I actually used a +7 stacked on top of the Nauticam CMC-1. I was trying to shoot sheep nudibranch, the focus distance is not an issue since they don't move much and I can get very close. I'm trying to minimize CA as much as possible, but my primary goal is to have the biggest magnification. I'm shooting with Panasonic LX100 so the longest focal length I can get is 75mm.

I'm shooting video so cropping in is not an option. With the +7 stack on top of the CMC-1, I can only fill a 4mm sheep nudibranch into like 1/8 of my frame.

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1911 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:21 AM

The CMC should allow you to shoot something 32 mm wide full frame by itself. The problem is that your LX100 is not a very stellar macro shooter. Adding a + 7 to the CMC should get you to something like 30 mm full frame (not a big improvement). The SAGA +25 will get you by itself to something like 30 mm full frame (a bit more than the CMC). Unfortunately the physics of your camera are the fundamental limitation to shooting something that is 4 mm across.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#5 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:06 AM

Thanks Bill! Sound like I probably should schedule my sheep nudibranch hunting dive after I have a new set up, or some how the Nauticam Multiplier will work on the CMC-1, will have to check with people at Reef Photos.

#6 mikan

mikan

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:20 AM

Hi 

I can help you ;)

In wich camera you want to use the lens? 

In a DSLR it doesn't works, the +25 lens is designed only for compact cameras, and is really awesome in cameras like Sony RX100 (I,II,III) Canon S-series...

Here you can see some pictures of a friend of us who is using a Canon S-100 and the +25  lens

16528926663_0c90374af1_c.jpg

16962292578_3676ba9363_c.jpg

If you are DSLR user, you can use till the +20, is hard to use but with an awesome optical quality.

The lens what more I use are +10 (same power than Subsee) and +15 more powerful than SMC.

Here you can see 2 pictures with my Canon 7D, Canon 100mm macro and +15 lens. No crop.

13970068210_d37eaecb40_c.jpg

14224575243_9cb27e3a18_c.jpg

And finally, 3 pictures (only with the 100mm, with the +10, and +15)

9648051244_1c045b69b4_c.jpg

9644838205_2af3710305_c.jpg

9648219768_6e883357a2_c.jpg

Hope that pictures can help you

Jordi

7D in Nauticam Housing, 2 x Inon-Z240, 2 x Subtronic Alpha Pro
Canon 100mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 17-70m
SAGA macro lenses +10, +15, +20
Who always wants to be right, never will know the truth

#7 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:04 PM

Thanks Jordi! That look really promising!! I'm using Panasonic LX100, technically it's a point and shoot but the sensor is M43 size. The zoom only goes up to 75mm. I think the Nauticam SMC is equal to about +15. I have the Nauticam CMC-1 which I think is about +17, that's why I think the Saga +25 a lot strong and meet my need. I will see if I can get my hand on one and play with it.

#8 mikan

mikan

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:05 AM

Hi

Yes, CMC is about +17 but the SMC is about +12.

Saga +25 will works perfect on your camera.

You can find the Saga +25 at Reef Photo, they sell SAGA products and I think they have some unit of this lens. If you need anything else about this lenses, please, let me know.

Best regards from Spain.

Jordi

7D in Nauticam Housing, 2 x Inon-Z240, 2 x Subtronic Alpha Pro
Canon 100mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 17-70m
SAGA macro lenses +10, +15, +20
Who always wants to be right, never will know the truth

#9 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1911 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:52 PM

The +25 will indeed work on the camera, but it will not allow him to shoot a 4 mm beasty full frame, the full frame resolution is like 60 mm wide and a + 25 will take that to at best 24 or so, not enough for the original requirement.

Bill

Bill
www.blueviews.net

#10 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:26 AM

Thanks for all the information. I guess it's best to illustrate the problem I have now. These are the two shots I have.

This one is shot with Nauticam CMC-1 and 75mm with my Panasonic LX100, the nudibranch is about 2mm I believe:

sheep_nudi01.jpg

This one is shot with Nauticam CMC-1 with a Bluewater +7, the nudibranch is probably a bit over 3-4mm.

sheep_nudi02.jpg

I shoot 4K video and output to 4K, so cropping is not an option (compare to still). I don't expect to fill the whole screen with subject this size, so I would take any better magnification I can. I'm hoping people won't have to squint their eyes to see it. So, how much of an improvement would I get from the Saga+25?

Thanks again for all the information you could provide!

#11 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1911 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:41 PM

Based on my calculations, I think you will get 2.5 x magnification. That means that your 4 mm nudi will look like it is 10 mm. The big problem you are starting out with is that your camera doesn't really have macro capabilities. Compared to the CMC, you should see  a tiny (2.5/2.3) effect of about a 9% increase.

Bill

Bill
www.blueviews.net

#12 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:19 PM

Thanks Bill, since the Saga +25 is about 9% increase to the CMC, I think I'm better off stacking something on top of the CMC. From this point, it's just a matter of which one stack better on the CMC. Time to see if any of my buddies have Subsee +10 or something around that strength.

#13 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:57 AM

I will be back in Sardinia end of month and then i will have time and dive conditions to do extensive tests with the LX100 and my SubSee +10.

If you come over i will be happy to borrow you my Subsee +10.

In any case, the LX100 is not very good to do macro, but i am still happy with the overall performance and the 4K capability of the camera.
it would be interesting to stack 2 SubSee +10 or the Saga +25 to see if the camera (and the operator) can handle that in a useful way.

Chris

Nikon D800 + Sigma 15mm + Nikon 105mm Micro VR + Hugyfot Housing + 3 Inon Z-240 strobes + 2x2 8'' ULCS arms - Panasonic LX100 + Nauticam Housing + SubSea +10 diopter
Nikon D90 + Ikelite housing + Ikelite DS125 strobe (for sale) - Nikon D7000 + Hugyfot housing (for sale) 
Canon G1X + Canon OEM housing (sold) - Canon G12 + Patima aluminium housing  (for sale) - - Fuji E900 + Ikelite housing (for sale)
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#14 Jos Broere

Jos Broere

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:06 PM

Hello,
Magnification of a SMC is 2.7x. There is a stronger lens. That is the Noodilab Mobi. The quality is the same as the SMC but the magnification is better it is 3,8x. I sell these in Europe. See also example pictures on http://www.aquacam.n...iopter-38x.html. Alexander Mustard has tested this lens. Greets

#15 sbonev

sbonev

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:45 AM

I will be back in Sardinia end of month and then i will have time and dive conditions to do extensive tests with the LX100 and my SubSee +10.

If you come over i will be happy to borrow you my Subsee +10.

In any case, the LX100 is not very good to do macro, but i am still happy with the overall performance and the 4K capability of the camera.
it would be interesting to stack 2 SubSee +10 or the Saga +25 to see if the camera (and the operator) can handle that in a useful way.

Chris

hello,

did you try with stacking several macro wet lenses on the lx100. i am about to get an lx10 and was looking in the macro possibilities. Unfortunately with 72mm max it is not very versatile and i am really wondering if it is worth it...

#16 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1911 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:52 AM

Stacking is interesting but you will run into physics. Large magnification but you will soon run out of working room and lighting will be very tough.

Bill

Bill
www.blueviews.net

#17 sbonev

sbonev

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:42 AM

Stacking is interesting but you will run into physics. Large magnification but you will soon run out of working room and lighting will be very tough.
Bill

yes, that is why i need someone that has done it to tell me if it is something usable and feasible. with the current market, from the advanced compact cameras the only usable for macro is rx100ii with the 28-100mm. I personally don't like the image quality compared to the lx10, and it is a bit old and housing might be an issue to get. that is why i was wondering if i can compensate the 28mm difference between the lx10 and rx100ii by stacking for example an cmc-1 and saga +25...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

#18 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1911 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:28 PM

Try it on your kitchen table. I think you will not be as happy as the calculations suggest. 

Bill

Bill
www.blueviews.net

#19 sbonev

sbonev

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 04:49 PM

Try it on your kitchen table. I think you will not be as happy as the calculations suggest. 
Bill

And what exactly made you think I would rather engage in pointless discussion with you, instead of testing it myself if I could?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk