nudibranco

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:clear waters for WA and small critters ! Beach diving

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:19 PM

I have the 12-60mm F2.8/4.0 leica panasonic lens.  It is a very good lens 

and happy on dry lands!

However I am wondering how it would perform underwater with Nauticam compatible port.

Underwater I usually use and I am happy with the Pana 8mm FE and 60mm Oly macro options but quality in the mid range zooms is a struggle.   I see people happy with the Olympus 12-40mm.   Is the 12-60mm  F2.8/4.0  a good quality option?

I have been using sometimes both 9-18mm and 12-50mm lenses but I have never been happy with the range of the first one (quality just ok) and very unhappy with the quality of the second one (but range is very useful).

Thanks

#2 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 12:17 AM

The 12-60mm f2.8-4 is a stellar lens. However due to the zoom range and the range the barrow has to move, I cannot see how it would be possible to make a port for it.

The 14-42mm MK II I think is a hidden gem of a lens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#3 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:50 AM

The Pana 12-35 2.8 also works extremely well underwater behind a dome. Wide enough for nice reef shots and a very pratical zoom range for larger ‚macro‘ and fish portraits.

#4 nudibranco

nudibranco

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:clear waters for WA and small critters ! Beach diving

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:05 PM

The 12-60mm f2.8-4 is a stellar lens. However due to the zoom range and the range the barrow has to move, I cannot see how it would be possible to make a port for it.

The 14-42mm MK II I think is a hidden gem of a lens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought so too,  especially since the zooming goes the wrong way but I did find the support in the Nauticam chart for the 7" N85 dome port.  It is a recent discovery ...  I find the 12mm range almost enough for wide angle and a .5x magnification ok for some smaller subjects in certain waters.  The 14mm is just not wide enough for me UW unfortunately and adding a wide angle wet lens does not convince me yet...  :(

#5 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:43 PM

The 12-40mm oly lens is great UW lens, it gets to 0.3x magnification at 40mm due to close focus ability. The Panasonic lens gets a similar result I believe.  The 12-60mm at 60mm does not look much longer than the 12-40 at 40mm, so I expect it works fine in the designated port, though I would prefer the Zen 170mm glass port I have if it was compatible with the Pany lens.

Nauticam also suggests the 180mm glass dome with 55 plus 10 mm adapter/extension, the same as the Olympus 12-40mm so I expect the Pany lens  would also work in the Zen dome that I use which is the type II with built in additional 30mm extension.  The diameter of the Pany lens appears slightly less so you can fit camera/lens through back of housing on both lenses I expect.

I think it would be a safe bet to buy a dome to use the lens if you already have it.  While the above water performance of a lens is no guarantee of its UW performance , in your case if you had issues you could always get the Oly lens for UW use as it is a known excellent performer and it uses exact same dome.. I suspect though that your 12-60 will perform just fine.

#6 tomc

tomc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:39 PM

The Panasonic 14-42 II mega O.I.S. lens + both macro and wide angle wet lens seems to work great for me shooting video on my GX8 & GH5. 

Keep in mind that I am talking video and not scrutinizing stills.

Panasonic GX8
http://www.tpixs.com