3 replies to this topic

#1 Jettbritnell

Jettbritnell

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:44 PM

Hi,

Will be aboard the North Sulawesi Aggressor the first week of February 2006.
Have been reading mixed reports about wetsuit vs water temp. I normally wear a one piece 3mm suit and have a 3mm vest/5mm hood combo for extra warmth if needed. I normally dont feel cold...but am wondering if most would reccomend wearing a full 5mm suit?

Also, has anyone been to Bunaken around that time of year? Is it worth going there for the second week of Feb...or simply dive with a resort in Lembeh?

Cheers, Jett

Jett Britnell
Jett Britnell Photographics
http://www.jettbritnell.com
http://jettbritnell.blogspot.com
Member: Ocean Artists Society (Phorographer)

Nikon D800 in Aquatica Housing, twin Sea & Sea YS-D1's.

#2 mattdiver

mattdiver

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:Photography (duh!), billiards, modern architecture.

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:18 PM

Hi Jett,

I go there at least once a year, and only wear a full 3mm suit. Actually, mine is so old, it's probably less than 2mm by now :)

You sometimes hit a thermocline on the deeper dives along the walls of Bunaken, but it rarely drops below 27ÂșC, and it's quite stimulating...

Have fun there,
Mathieu

#3 Painted Frogfish

Painted Frogfish

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:49 PM

Hi there,
Bunaken/Bangka should be about 28/29 deg C so a 3 mm will be fine.
Lembeh Straits is the only cold place, it can drop to about 24 deg sometimes...so your combo should be enough there too.. Don't need to really get a 5 mm. Depends how much body fat you have too :)
Marcus Lim
Nikon D200; Seacam; Ikelite DS-125

#4 Painted Frogfish

Painted Frogfish

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:57 PM

Forgot to add that you can stay at Kungkungan Bay Resort at Lembeh where you will ONLY do muck diving in the famous black sand areas. Bunaken (wall diving) is over an hour away or more just by car and half and hour by boat after that, so most people who stay on land only either do Bunaken side (mostly wall dives) or Lembeh side (macro) because of the logistics.

Going on a liveonboard means you will get to do wall dives at other sites (Bunaken and further out towards Bangka), as well as the weird and wonderful stuff at Lembeh.
Marcus Lim
Nikon D200; Seacam; Ikelite DS-125