- - - - -

Advice on Lembeh Straits

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 1845 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:04 PM

Hey Guys

I plan to take advantage of working for a while in Banda Aceh by spending a weekend diving at KBR. Any advice on lenses and gear? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks!

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE - Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#2 Painted Frogfish

Painted Frogfish

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:07 AM

Hi Tim
This is macro heaven. Terrain is quite featureless with black sand. You will find your 60mm the most useful. Maybe try a dioptre. strongly consider getting a 105mm too. Can be a bit cold for this part of the world sometimes..down to 24 or 25 degrees. 3mm should sufficient though, with maybe hood or vest. There is also a wreck which I haven't been to, but with yourlimited time I'd concentrate on the world class macro stuff you see here that you don't elsewhere!
Marcus Lim
Nikon D200; Seacam; Ikelite DS-125

#3 Simon K.

Simon K.

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:41 AM

I don't know how much was destroyed UW by the Tsunami but befor that Aceh also should have been a great (but political/security wise difficult) place to dive. Had any Chaces to dive there?

#4 kthan

kthan

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:49 AM

have you checked out Pulau Weh? heard many good things before the martial law. it would be so mcuh nearer for you.

Eric

#5 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 1845 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 25 November 2005 - 01:22 AM

Thanks guys! I'm trying to get a 105mm even as we speak.

Yep, Pulau Weh is just 45 minutes away on a ferry. I'm working on that for next weekend and am told it is quite good. I'll post a report once I have been. Security should not be a major problem now - but I don't know about tsunami damage.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE - Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#6 mattdiver

mattdiver

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:Photography (duh!), billiards, modern architecture.

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:17 AM

I was there for a weekend back in September and had a great time. It was my 4th trip there, but it's still a surprisingly great place for macro.

If you can't get a 105mm on time, a 60mm (with or without diopter) will do just fine.

#7 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 05:39 PM

Just there for a few days? At KBR, go to TK2, TK3 or Retak Larry. With a 60 or 105 you will be happy. Get a Woody's diopter...they're inexpensive and are just right for the animal size in KBR. We found these sites major repeats. I(f you have night dives in hand, go to Nudi Falls. It's a very nice dive.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#8 kthan

kthan

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:10 PM

awaiting for your reports on Pulau Weh. Operator claims you can see whalesharks crusing by from the beach at the right time of the year. Hope now is the right time of the year :(

Matt: any u/w pics of Weh to share?

Eric