Diving Lanai, HI in January

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 977 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:03 AM

I'll be on Lanai (at Manale Bay Resort) in mid-January giving a business presentation (I know, rough job, but somebody's gotta do it). :D I'll have time to do two AM dives on two of the days I'm there. Is the diving there good enough to be worth the trouble of hauling my uw camera gear, etc. over for only 2-4 dives? Water temps, etc.? Any insights would be appreciated.

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Lumix GX8 in Nauticam, Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 08:04 AM

I think that based on Rand's excellent Monk Seal photos from there - the answer is yes. Not too often you get to photograph one of those.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 randapex

randapex

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for the compliment James :D But it was the Island of Niihau that I shot the Monk seals, it's a bit (Well, a lot) further north. 2 hrs. north of Kauaii. Where I've dove in Feb a few times and seeing the Humpback whales and hearing them underwater is really cool. Worth the dive just to hear them.

Not sure if the Whales hang out there or not. As I've yet to make it to Lanai, but the Mauai dive ops run over there so it must be fairly good for them to do that. I've heard the lava tubes have holes in the top where the sun comes in, that's pretty cool. So, could be a great spot for sunbursts. Probably wouldn't pack all my dive gear for just a couple dives though.

Rand
Rand McMeins
Nikon D2X. Subal ND2. 2 Inon Z220S

Greenwaterimages

#4 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:07 AM

Temps in Feb 2004 were 77 and 78 F and Oct 2004 Temp was 81 F when I did dives at Lanai from boats out of Maui. The 'First Cathedral' lava tube is a must-see (RS13mm FE shot attached). Saw bandit angelfish, a Hawaiian endemic, on both trips. DM said they were rare but I saw 3 at one time there. I don't do what there is the way of dive support on Lanai itself.
Tom

Attached Images

• FirstCathedral2.JPG

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Currently used housed digital cameras: Canon EOS-1Ds MkIII, EOS-1D MkIV, and EOS-1DX; and Nikon D3X. More or less retired: Canon EOS-1Ds MkII; and Nikon D1X, D2X, and D2H.

Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 200mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 60D, 150D, and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/