1 reply to this topic

#1 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 01:02 AM

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I hope that I will be accepted by the community because I must confess: I do not use a digital camera underwater! I still stick to my trusty Nikonos RS. Forgive me, please... ;)

I am planning a dive trip to Tofo / Inhambane for mid-February to March next year.

Anyone who has been there at that time of the year or can comment on the weather?

From what I found it seems to be peak-cyclone season in the southwest Indian Ocean - but are the traditional weather patterns still valid after all these el ninos, el ninas and el I-dont-know-whats??

And even if the Inhambane area is not hit by cyclones directly, what about rainfall: Short and sharp shower or rain all day and night long?

I got some informations from tour-operators ("no problem"), but, well, they want to sell their trips ...

Any information welcome,

best regards

Joerg

http://www.dive-images.de

---
http://www.dive-images.de
---

Olympus OM-D EM5, Inon Z240 and Nikonos RS, Ikelite SS200

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10705 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:22 PM

joerg
I've been to tofo and inhambane a few times, mostly in the fall (their spring). I was in Sodwana and Mozambique 2 years ago in March. The rainfall was mostly late afternoon and at night, quite cloudy in the buildup. Also the rain were usually from cumulo nimbus electrical storm, Noah get your ark style pours. The viz was worse due to the washout. And it was hella humid. But it didn't rain everyday or all day.
I would suggest you make it march-april so that you give yourself a bit of buffer. Then again with global warming, who knows what weather will be like? :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.