#1 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:06 PM

Hi all,

I have a trip to take (thanks to NCUPS) aboard the MY ANGGUN out of Phuket, Thailand. There are two basic options:

Thailand / Myanmar: This goes to Andaman Sea in Thailand
or Myanmar (Burma). Of these two areas, what are the pros and cons?

Indonesia: Bali, Lombok, Komodo.

If you had to choose, what option would you select and why?

What time of the year would you recommend?

We are going to back this trip up with another one that I won at LAUPS at Sipadan Water Village. I have been to Sipadan Island in 1992 before it became over developed with resorts. The viz was not too good in August and I have read on this forum where it is not too good in Jan-Feb either. I'll survive. If all works out, we may add a third leg to this trip at KBR in Lembeh. How's that for a vacation???? If I can swing it I will, but I am interested in yout thoughts on the Anggun and where you recommend I go.

Any advice is helpful. If you have some unpostable (is that a word?)comments, drop me a note privately.

joediver@earthlink.net

Thanks for the advice.

Joe
Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#2 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 05:58 AM

Joe,
Personally I prefer Komodo over Andaman Sea as a whole.

Burma is pretty good for macro although not quite as good as South Rinca. From February onward, there is a decent chance of seeing whale shark in Andaman Sea. In Komodo, you will have chance to see mantas but no whale shark as far as I know.
The Similan/Richeliue/Bon/Tachai can get pretty crowded but once you get to Burma, it should be nice and quiet. I never see more than 2-3 boats (more often we were the only boat). However in Komodo, you will almost always be the only boat at pretty much any divesite.
Visibility around the Similans usually is 30+m, less as you go up north. Burma Bank can be 30-40m+ but for the rest of Burmese site, I would consider 15-20m pretty good. Komodo viz was about 15-20m at most sites that I could remember.
Bali/Komodo will be quite a bit colder than Andaman Sea, 20-26C vs 28-30C.
The Similans have some very nice soft corals with excellent colors. To get something similar in Komodo, you will definitely have to go to South Rinca to have anything comparable but did I mention cold! (well, relatively for tropical divers anyhow) :)
Northern part of Komodo has some excellent hard coral growth

Sipandan in August is not bad. I was there in July and viz was around 15m. January is still wet season there and might be a tad too early. The best viz is probably between March-May.

Edit: forgot to mention, Komodo is definitely the place where you want very experience local guide who knows the area well as current can be very tricky and down current can be very serious problem. I would check with the Anguun first regarding diveguide. I am not even aware that they are going out to Komodo.