Photo
- - - - -

Great Lakes, not so exotic but worth it just the same!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 trimix125

trimix125

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:56 AM

Hi Steve,

very impressive wreck!!!
That looks like from another world ;-))

Thanks for sharing,
Wolfgang

Edited by trimix125, 27 August 2016 - 11:56 AM.

#22 Nicool

Nicool

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:30 PM

Wow wow wow! Love the Cornelia B and the Gunilda!
Those wrecks are like my childhood dreamt wrecks: wooden and still intact! This is like a jump in the past, thanks for sharing this guys.

Questions though:
-how deep is the gunilda? Any chance to photograph it with blue/green water (not black)?
-where are the fishes?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

#23 Hubby63

Hubby63

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:CCR Mixed Gas/Photog/Cave/

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:22 PM

Hi Nicool

The Gunilda is about 70m dark and cold...4C.  To get the blue green water background would require very high ISO, and/or exceptional vis....maybe early season?  The Windiate always a crowd pleaser and so photogenic!  In general the Great Lakes fish tend to be skittish, but they are there from time to time. Visibility on the average 15-40m and great for photo ops.

Come Join Lust4Rust for a great lakes adventure. check out Lust4Rust.CO or contact Pete Mesley (owner)

Happy Holidays!

steve

#24 Nicool

Nicool

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:58 PM

Hi Nicool

The Gunilda is about 70m dark and cold...4C.  To get the blue green water background would require very high ISO, and/or exceptional vis....maybe early season?  The Windiate always a crowd pleaser and so photogenic!  In general the Great Lakes fish tend to be skittish, but they are there from time to time. Visibility on the average 15-40m and great for photo ops.

Come Join Lust4Rust for a great lakes adventure. check out Lust4Rust.CO or contact Pete Mesley (owner)

Happy Holidays!

steve

Thanks Steve, one day for sure!
Btw, the zen mini dome i bought from you works great :)

#25 Stoo

Stoo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

Hi Stoo,

I am super excited to make other trips round the Lakes, Tobermory, Isle Royale, Two Rivers, Milwaukee, Whitefish etc etc. You are so right about cold water diving. I guess anyone if given the option will want to go for the 30ºC water but people shouldnt discount colderwater dives. There are cracker sights to be enjoyed and the water temp is a slight logistic to think about avoiding freezing your balls off! Want to give that Gunuilda a nudge too!! Cant wait!

Pete

Indeed... I always figure that the reason we don't get more visitors from afar, is that transitioning from tropical diving in a 3mm suit isn't easy. Or inexpensive. On the other hand, anyone who can dive in 200' of water that's barely above freezing can easily head south (and we do!)

#26 CaptChad

CaptChad

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:30 PM

I've been diving the GLs annually every year for the past six years and they never disappoint me. We will be heading up to the PI this summer and I can't wait to get some pics like these for my collection. Great shots guys!

Edited by CaptChad, 11 February 2017 - 06:30 PM.

#27 Ggtuim

Ggtuim

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:32 AM

Excellent pics, thanks for sharing.