• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rwe

rwe

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

Any experience or comments on this Mcoplus strobe?

Mcoplus ST 100 Waterproof Flash strobe for A6500 A6000 A7 II RX100 I/II/ III/IV/V underwater Camera Housings Diving Case-in Flashes from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Sony NEX-5N,10Bar Housing, Olympus C-8080, PT-023 (broken port tabs, of course), single Inon Z-240, flickr site: https://www.flickr.c...9071@N08/albums

#2 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

New to me?

Who is US dealer/support?

I'd try for a good user Inon z240!

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 500, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#3 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 09:01 PM

Probably will work all right for a while. Out of morbid curiosity I went searching around the site for warranty details, and the closest I found was the promise they would refund your money if it didn't arrive in 60 days or if was not as described.  Probably like many knock-offs, if it has a warranty they'll replace it if it fails, one day after warranty expires no parts or service available, buy you can buy a new one if you need to.  Interesting is if you scroll down further you'll find a very similar or identical flash with  the Sea frogs brand on it but that is $450.

#4 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:02 AM

New to me?

Who is US dealer/support?

I'd try for a good user Inon z240!

Meikon, in my experience, ships direct from Hong Kong, no US middleman taking their cut, and even a used Z-240 (of which this looks like a clone) is several times more expensive - you can buy five of these, brand new, for the cost of two used Z-240s and still come out ahead money-wise. If one breaks or floods - just break out the spare :)

Interesting is if you scroll down further you'll find a very similar or identical flash with  the Sea frogs brand on it but that is $450.

I'm pretty sure that Meikon, SeaFrogs, Mcoplus, Camdive, Kitdive and who knows who else are various fronts/brands for the same Chinese outfit. $450 is just normal price spread for Aliexpress - I don't know what the seller is hoping to achieve by advertising such a markup, but here you can get the same SeaFrogs branding (if that's what you're after) for $278, with a $12 discount at checkout. Meikon sells this strobe direct from their site for $299, and they also stock an electrical sync cord for compatible housings.

#5 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:40 PM

Meikon, in my experience, ships direct from Hong Kong, no US middleman taking their cut, and even a used Z-240 (of which this looks like a clone) is several times more expensive - you can buy five of these, brand new, for the cost of two used Z-240s and still come out ahead money-wise. If one breaks or floods - just break out the spare :)

You could do that, personally I don't like the "if breaks throw it away consumer thing", I'd prefer to get something that has a good chance of  lasting a long time and can be fixed if it breaks.  It's also one thing if you at home, but what if it floods while on an expensive liveaboard?

#6 reefsafe

reefsafe

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:30 PM

I just received 2 of these (Sea Frogs) today. Paid $255 each shipped, so I figured why not give them a try. These are my first strobes so i'm having a bit of trouble interpreting the user manual, it's in poorly converted English.

I attached a picture of the rear controls and the 2 buttons i'm having an issue with labelled 1 & 2.

#1 button appears to be the focus LED. It unscrews about a quarter turn then pops out. If pressed in the focus LED comes on, the button can be turned left or right when depressed to lock in position and keep the LED on. However, if it is locked in to the 'ON' position the LED will not activate if button #2 is also pressed in. Is there a difference between locking in the left or right position or is this just either way for convenience?

#2 button appears to lock out the #1 button when depressed and locked into position. if #1 is pressed in and #2 is out the LED focus light will activate. I really don't understand this as it seems redundant to have #2 button control whether or not #1 will activate?? Am I missing something?

37825231225_66b72f4c21_b.jpg

Edited by reefsafe, 28 November 2017 - 06:32 PM.

#7 tursiops

tursiops

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:15 PM

Since the strobe is a copy of the INON Z240, maybe this will help.

http://reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=7

Edited by tursiops, 28 November 2017 - 07:18 PM.

#8 reefsafe

reefsafe

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:19 PM

Thank you!

#9 Mr_Vr

Mr_Vr

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 12:10 PM

Please let us know your experience with the strobe.