New Mac Pro

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3849 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:23 PM

Yeh...yeh...you guys wait till I build my Core2Quad PC... :)

Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos | www.flykam.com.au

#22 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:20 PM

based upon my experience and that of many others I would be loathe to purchase another LaCie product.
I've scrapped close to half dozen of their 500+ Gb drives.

They seem to last just over a year (if that). I just replaced my last LaCie witha G-Drive unit.
---------------
Mark

#23 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:16 AM

Now I'm doubly jealous....congrats Mark.. did you get black or silver....flat or glossy screen? Lacie has a small sized field external made to take the bumps in the field that you might want to use for your media drive.
Steve

Hi Steve,
I ended up with the silver non glossy model. I'd heard that the glossy screens really reflect badly in the field. Looking for field drives now so the link is appreciated.

hoovermd - In Palau I had two LaCie drives, a 500GB and a 320GB plugged into a table top G5 for over 2 years with no problems. Most of the time they were not shut down overnight either. Never any problems at all.

Cheers,
Mark.... :)

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#24 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:56 AM

Hey Mark..As you never answered my text message... :)

Where did you buy and upgrade your Mac book pro ????

How much...????

Come on, give the dog a bone... :P

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#25 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2845 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:41 AM

I have 3 lacies a 120, 200 and 320. The 120 and 200 are about 3 years old, I always shut them down when not editing and use disc utilities on them regularly. I never fill them up more than 90% and have not had a single problem with any. I do know that the G tech has gained an excellent reputation and wouldn't hesitate to buy one of them as well. I think Mary Lynn has many more Lacies than I and also has never had a problem. I did hear that the larger capacity ones( over 500) were having some problems.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#26 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 04:09 PM

... I did hear that the larger capacity ones( over 500) were having some problems.

All my drives were over the 500Gb or greater.

Interesting discussion at:
http://www.darcynorm...xtreme-failure/
---------------
Mark

#27 limeyx

limeyx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:50 PM

based upon my experience and that of many others I would be loathe to purchase another LaCie product.
I've scrapped close to half dozen of their 500+ Gb drives.

They seem to last just over a year (if that). I just replaced my last LaCie witha G-Drive unit.

Completely agree.
I had an external 500G Lacie. You couldn't pay me enough to use their stuff again.

1) 14 months after purchase (conveniently out of warranty) the drive had a catastrophic failure (with no warning) and all data was lost (not even data recovery tools would work)
2) turns out this is essentially a known issue with power supply/heat
3) their "support" was incredibly rude to me and said the only thing I could do was buy a new one.

I did. From another vendor.

#28 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:02 AM

Completely agree.
I had an external 500G Lacie. You couldn't pay me enough to use their stuff again.

1) 14 months after purchase (conveniently out of warranty) the drive had a catastrophic failure (with no warning) and all data was lost (not even data recovery tools would work)
2) turns out this is essentially a known issue with power supply/heat
3) their "support" was incredibly rude to me and said the only thing I could do was buy a new one.

I did. From another vendor.

Wow, word for word my EXACT experience.

I didn't even bother calling when the last one died.
I DO now have 4 250Gb raw drives to check out tho...
---------------
Mark

#29 hd2o.tv

hd2o.tv

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:I've been in video production since early 90s. Finally shooting HD underwater. Get our 2008 DVD from our site! http://hd2o.tv/

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:16 PM

Mac Pro... is that like being with the angels? LOL

About the comment on render speeds: What about variables to render times? Codec, program settings, filters. As a compositor rendering a 30-second spot sometime can take hours. Use stablize filter, color grading, composition modes... they totally depends on the clip.

As for external LaCie drives, I've actually seen people use them as 'video drives'. Would you put VW wheels on a race car. That's a storage device that can't physically move video data much less keep up. I have several 1TB LaCie drives with me and in studio because I shoot P2. Never had one fail because I only tun it on to do massive data transfers/ video redundant backups. Super fast Firewire 800 ports in series, but just storage. Hard to burn up a storage drive, easy to cook a 7200 rpm drive on video. It worries me to trust a couple hundred dollar LaCie with ANY priceless video, so each has it's own backup. I too know the anguish of a drive failure [RAID crash during client project]. What a sinking feeling when the reality of 'it ain't coming back' kicks in. Sorry to hear about that.

regards,

Hey Mark..As you never answered my text message... :)

Where did you buy and upgrade your Mac book pro ????

How much...????

Come on, give the dog a bone... :D

Dive safe

DeanB

Dean,
Call Garry Rosenberg at CDW. 877-826-6783 Garry has scored music for hours of underwater video. Tell him what you do and he's always a big help. If he doesn't know he says so, and gets answers. Mention my name Paul Dymon.
Don't forget the Cinema Display with that upgrade! Now were talkin.
peace,
hd2o.tv
Paul Dymon Films

#30 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10708 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:12 PM

Apple seems to be following a 5-6 mth cycle for new model announcements. So since the LEDs were announced in June, I expect the new MBPs to be in time for x'mas shopping or later.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#31 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:34 PM

Paul, thank you very much my good man...So kind.

Drew, 6 months :D bloody heck..apple is going to be an expensive game of keep up... :)

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#32 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2845 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:49 AM

Just got my new Mac Book Pro today, thus it should be obsolete by tomorrow. Have never used a laptop and have to get used to using my fingers here to scroll and such. It shipped with Leopard so need to figure out the new OS as well. Oh happy day! Any recommendations for laptop bags, what features should I look for?
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#33 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 07:16 PM

Just got my new Mac Book Pro today, thus it should be obsolete by tomorrow. Have never used a laptop and have to get used to using my fingers here to scroll and such. It shipped with Leopard so need to figure out the new OS as well. Oh happy day! Any recommendations for laptop bags, what features should I look for?
Steve B)

I've hemmed and hawed for weeks now on whether to get the 15" MacBook Pro or the 13" MacBook.
Seems that the new MacBook was announced last week and this really made my decision difficult.

It all really boils down to the fact that the 15" MB Pro doesn't fit in the same travel space as my old IBM T42P due to the wider form factor, so I'm real sensitive to your laptop bag situation :( At any rate I ended up with the 2.6GHz MB Pro w/ 4Gb of RAM and a 200Gb hard drive. Placed the order today so you can probably guarantee a new model before Xmas. :)

I have need to run Windoz for my "real" job and VMWare Fusion is the path I'll be taking with Vista, RedHat Linux (Oracle) and XP Pro for software development.

It just really sux that I'll have to come up with a new bag as well as some sort of 3rd party docking station ;)
Too bad Mr. Jobs doesn't recognize my problem. I'd kill for a 13" MB Pro with a Apple made docking station!!
---------------
Mark

#34 WaterWorks

WaterWorks

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:24 PM

I've hemmed and hawed for weeks now on whether to get the 15" MacBook Pro or the 13" MacBook.
Seems that the new MacBook was announced last week and this really made my decision difficult.

It all really boils down to the fact that the 15" MB Pro doesn't fit in the same travel space as my old IBM T42P due to the wider form factor, so I'm real sensitive to your laptop bag situation :( At any rate I ended up with the 2.6GHz MB Pro w/ 4Gb of RAM and a 200Gb hard drive. Placed the order today so you can probably guarantee a new model before Xmas. :)

I have need to run Windoz for my "real" job and VMWare Fusion is the path I'll be taking with Vista, RedHat Linux (Oracle) and XP Pro for software development.

It just really sux that I'll have to come up with a new bag as well as some sort of 3rd party docking station ;)
Too bad Mr. Jobs doesn't recognize my problem. I'd kill for a 13" MB Pro with a Apple made docking station!!

you've definitely made the right choice from the two there, mate. Quite simply, the smaller notebooks will more than suffice for every day emailing, web-surfing etc.... but the minute you want to do any graphical work (photoshop, video editing etc..) you'll be more than grateful for the added real-estate that the larger screen offers you.... one of my team bought themselves a 12" for editing on and rues the day he made that decision.....

enjoy the toy! (I mean tool)