• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:32 AM

OK, I have a happy ending to report, here is what happened.

When my old computer died (catastrophically, with no recovery possible) I bought a new one and restored everything from a Time Machine backup. What I learned from a helpful Adobe tech support rep is that license info among other attributes is not saved in a backup. The solution is to "sign out" of the old copy then reactivate a new copy. Except this is impossible if you don't have access to the old machine to deactivate.  Trust me, it doesn't work going to your Adobe account from a different machine!  Eventually the rep found a back end way to deactivate my account manually, which then gave me the ability to reinstall and reactivate with my original licence code.  

So for those who think that "no one should fear getting cut off from LR", good on ya, cultivate some helpful tech reps.  Also, advising that all would be good had you managed your library differently for the last 10 years, is seriously unhelpful.   I am a lowly amateur who didn't even know about such exotica as XMP sidecars and had no ability to create them after losing access.  That is just not useful advice.  

I know better now, and will be exporting JPEGs of all final images. I will also be actively seeking alternatives

#42 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2447 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, good food and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club.

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:44 AM

Excellent you got your "Happy Ending", Robert. Well done!

It's helpful to know the issue about Signing Off - and then On again. Definitely worth knowing that when changing machines!

Good luck with your hunt for an alternative.......

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#43 davehicks

davehicks

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:10 PM

I am detecting a little bit of internet hostility here.  You present a problem you frustratingly can't solve on an internet forum.  People start offering suggestions.  You complain that the suggestions offered assume that you are a lowly amateur.  (I am sure you are not)  BTW, it is discussions like this that helped myself and many others to learn UWP and Post Processing.  Just because you know a thing does not mean that others in the audience might learn something.  Then you finally solve the problem by doing what absolutely should have been step #1 - Calling Adobe's 1-800 Support center.

This is just poor form and etiquette.   Don't go soliciting for assistance and then lash out at those who attempted to help.  Nobody was rude to you are talked down to you.  I am glad you were able to resolve your problems.  

davehicks@hotmail.com

#44 tursiops

tursiops

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:03 PM

I am detecting a little bit of internet hostility here.  You present a problem you frustratingly can't solve on an internet forum.  People start offering suggestions.  You complain that the suggestions offered assume that you are a lowly amateur.  (I am sure you are not)  BTW, it is discussions like this that helped myself and many others to learn UWP and Post Processing.  Just because you know a thing does not mean that others in the audience might learn something.  Then you finally solve the problem by doing what absolutely should have been step #1 - Calling Adobe's 1-800 Support center.

This is just poor form and etiquette.   Don't go soliciting for assistance and then lash out at those who attempted to help.  Nobody was rude to you are talked down to you.  I am glad you were able to resolve your problems.  

You are perhaps too sensitive or too defensive, I can't tell which. The poster had a problem with an old catalog and a dead computer. Posting about making XMP files is indeed not helpful for his specific problem, although I have now set up my LR to make such files routinely; thanks for that. (I note that neither you or I found out about such files from Adobe...)  Posting about calling Adobe is prima fascia good advice, but I'll wager that for everyone who has called Adobe and got a knowledgeable tech like troporobo did, there are 50 of us who found it a frustrating waste of time.

#45 davehicks

davehicks

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 02:44 PM

Let's recap and summarize.

Q:  How do I rescue my files from Lightroom when I don't want to pay Adobe any longer or have been locked out of my Account?

A:  Step 1) Install Lightroom free trial on a new PC (which was the OP's situation)

Step 2) Import your old LR catalog and turn on XMP file generation

Step 3) Uninstall the free Lightroom trial software

Step 4) Install the totally free Adobe Bridge app (or Photoshop, etc) and open any file you every processed in Lightroom with edits intact thanks to the XMP sidecar files.

Edited by davehicks, 17 July 2019 - 02:45 PM.

davehicks@hotmail.com

#46 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 04:32 PM

Dude, relax.  You are the one making assumptions.  I have already explained that I don't have a subscription, and tried with tech support many times.  You react with "probably you lost your license, just keep paying Adobe, then install other software you don't need, and you should have been working differently anyway".  i am sure you're trying to be helpful.  The advice just didn't fit my situation. So let's move on to other solutions. 

#47 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:15 PM

Have a look at Capture One Pro - the raw conversions are very good, and it now has a very full range of features.  _ you can download a one month free trial.  The learning curve can be steep, but they have good resources with a good range of video tutorials.