• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:28 AM

I agree Pete, for what I've spent on the GH4 (and all the bits for it) - I could of easily got the AX100 and Gates at the beginning and have a wad of cash left...

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#22 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:20 AM

One point to add to Pete's list is battery live. Using the largest battery I get close to 4hrs of 4k shooting from the AX100 with one battery. Which covers you easily for a full day of diving without having to tinker with the housing on a narrow boat - always a cause for potential error. You ll be lucky to get 45mins from a A7sii if I read some reports correctly.

bubffm

#23 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:54 AM

How do you guys travel with Gate housing? I have seen it before and it would take up almost a whole back back and can't fit under the seat of an airplane. I might consider a camcorder for my next upgrade (like the gradual exposure change and the better IS). Right now I'm trying to max out my LX100, and use my GH4 for land video/timelapse only, so I'm aware of Panasonic's limitation.

#24 wydeangle

wydeangle

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 12:32 PM

kc,

I put my AX100 Gates housing in checked baggage after padding it with at least one wetsuit. I put the camera and ports in my backpack along with all the batteries, padding the ports with neoprene covers on the lens sides and the plastic port caps on the housing sides. Of course, with a mechanical housing, NEVER travel with the camera inside - but you already knew that. A few fluffy things (speedos(?)) can be inside the housing to save some space.

So far, all the gear has made it...

Tom

#25 Etc

Etc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:38 AM

I'm sorry wydeangle... Why never travel with the camera inside the housing?
I'd say "never travel with the housing checked in"!!!

#26 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:15 AM

I'm sorry wydeangle... Why never travel with the camera inside the housing?
I'd say "never travel with the housing checked in"!!!

I would never travel with the cam inside the housing, certainly not in this type of housing. It may be different for some comact camera system.

I take the housing in a hardcover carryon roller. it fts the housing, the cam separately in a handycam bag plus bits and pieces and is essily within ithe carryon luggage limits.

#27 wydeangle

wydeangle

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:23 AM

etc,

I'd never travel with the camera inside a mechanically operated housing because a bump to one of the controls might damage the camera. It could break a button on the camera itself or crack the touch screen. Electronic controls don't have this problem, although my experience is that electronics have other problems :nea:

On the other hand, as you point out, putting the housing inside a carry-on may cause it to be overweight and oversize. Gates housings are tough enough, and can be padded inside the checked bag with a wetsuit.

Maybe the future will bring 8K videocameras with superb white balance etc. that are smaller than the GoPro including the housing :cake:

Tom

Edited by wydeangle, 10 April 2016 - 05:24 AM.

#28 Etc

Etc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:58 PM

Interesting information. My old L&M has just a few mechanical controls so I've never had any problems in carrying it with the camera inside. But I never travel with essential gear in my checked baggage because I've had a few bad experiences with lost luggage. I'm afraid I'll have to take the risk!!

#29 Dbuky

Dbuky

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:18 PM

Hi Pete,

In manual white balance on a red and white slate, do you use the one push with the red filter on or off?

#30 Dbuky

Dbuky

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:21 PM

Pete, using the one push with a white slate and red stickers, do I press the one push with the red filter on or off? Also, how often in depth should I re white balance?

#31 Dbuky

Dbuky

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:32 PM

I don't know if I'm posting right or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#32 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:24 AM

Very interesting article.

Great how they did the evaluation and came up with a solution.  We should do the same with all cameras.

I wonder if something similar could be done for manual white balance without a filter.  Is the solution to find a better mwb reference or do we still need a filter ?

#33 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:28 AM

Manual white balance on the GH4 gets me in the ballpark. Then I fine tune it in post with FCP.
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#34 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:56 AM

I have started using the Color Finale plugin for FCPX for my color correction work and its absolutely fantastic for post color work.

bubffm

#35 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:43 AM

Tangent support inbound for ColorFinale this month too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#36 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:20 AM

Pete, using the one push with a white slate and red stickers, do I press the one push with the red filter on or off? Also, how often in depth should I re white balance?

Hi "D" yes use the filter when doing a manual WB with the slate.

Owner of Down Under Aquatic Imaging.
www.duai.com.au

#37 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:23 AM

Interesting information. My old L&M has just a few mechanical controls so I've never had any problems in carrying it with the camera inside. But I never travel with essential gear in my checked baggage because I've had a few bad experiences with lost luggage. I'm afraid I'll have to take the risk!!

The last couple of times I have flown, I have checked my video equipment in and used a small GPS tracker inside the bag.

Whilst I have never had any bags go missing, I mark my bags with my contact details and flight details but now that I am checking the video gear in, the GPS gives me an added level of comfort that if it goes astray, I can pinpoint the bags location.

www.duai.com.au

#38 Etc

Etc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:37 AM

The last couple of times I have flown, I have checked my video equipment in and used a small GPS tracker inside the bag.

Whilst I have never had any bags go missing, I mark my bags with my contact details and flight details but now that I am checking the video gear in, the GPS gives me an added level of comfort that if it goes astray, I can pinpoint the bags location.

Wooo!,That's HI tech!!. Great Idea!

#39 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:33 PM

Wooo!,That's HI tech!!. Great Idea!

It's pretty cheap insurance really.

The one I use costs $150 to buy so if your bag was lost/stolen, would you pay $150 to get it back?

I know I would and it would make any insurance claim or lost baggage claim very easy to deal with.

I turn on my phone once I leave the plane and check the tracker app while I am walking to the baggage collection and I already know my bag has arrived.

I am going to buy another couple of trackers for my other bags now as the piece of mind is worth the investment alone.

www.duai.com.au

#40 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:38 PM

Anyone tried the above methods for white balancing a RX100?