Photo
- - - - -

Nikon D500 DX camera first impressions underwater.

D500 DX D810 Sea&Sea First impressions

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Nicool

Nicool

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:14 PM

Hi there,

I thought i would share my joy to be playing with this nice camera in ergonomic Nauticam housing! 

Since i haven't used other recent Nikon DSLRs underwater i wouldn't be well placed to compare, but i can just say i love how the autofocus reacts in difficult conditions.

Below is a picture i was happy to capture due to the rarity of the fish (scabbard fish i think). which normally lives hundreds of meters deep where i am, sometimes rises close to surface for hunting at night). This encounter was in difficult conditions (1 meter viz at night, he was swimming around me attracted by my focus light beam). 

D500 autofocus was spot on the eye though it was quite close (no cropping).

cheers

Nicolas

Attached Images

• NLR_0582.jpg

#22 simon87

simon87

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:34 AM

Hi all,

I just bought a D500 and wondering which housing i should purchase for it. I am looking at the Nauticam and Subal. Subal, regarding to the specs is significantly lighter (1kg) but also more expensive and I think it does not have an integrated flash trigger system like the Nauti, right? If someone has one of these housings (or others), I would appreciate if he/she would share some experiences, ergonomics, pros/cons here.

Nicool wrote shortly about the ergonomics of the nauti - is there anything you dont like about it? Is it possible to do back button focus and release the shutter with one hand?

Thanks

Simon

#23 frank70

frank70

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:18 PM

I have a Nauticam and very pleased with it.

Ergonomics are great , back butten focus is with your thumb and release is with your finger , no problem

Frank

#24 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2454 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, good food and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club.

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:34 PM

Hey Simon

Looking recently at the Subal website, I think you can install a flash trigger mechanism using either optical or electrical connections.

http://www.subal.com...lectronics.aspx

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#25 simon87

simon87

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:51 PM

Hi,
thanks for the answers. Hey Frank - dont know if i missunderstand your answer or you missunderstood my question :)
I meant doing back button focus and releasing, while holding the housing in only one hand (underwater). In a review of Alex Mustard for the NA-D750, he noticed that  you cant do it on this housing with one hand. If I couldnt do it with the NA-D500, it would be an issue for me.
Thanks Tim for the info. So additional costs with the Subal :P

Edited by simon87, 17 July 2016 - 08:42 PM.

#26 frank70

frank70

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:42 PM

I misunderstood u but tried it today , i could pull of a shot using only my right hand  but wouldn't want to do a couple after one another, my hand started shaking because of the awkward grip so if your looking at shooting one-handed that would be a problem.

Frank

#27 simon87

simon87

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for your effort Frank. Will keep it in mind.

#28 Nicool

Nicool

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:52 PM

I misunderstood u but tried it today , i could pull of a shot using only my right hand  but wouldn't want to do a couple after one another, my hand started shaking because of the awkward grip so if your looking at shooting one-handed that would be a problem.

Frank

And that's why i keep hoping (and asking) for Nauticam to offer hand-straps on their DSLR housings, just like Subal does, or just like Nauticam themselves do on their Mirorless housing, see this item which i had on my mirorless housing:

http://www.nauticam....&sid=12&ssid=57

I think it would take your hand pain away, and provide the usual benefits of hand-straps.

I take also this opportunity to ask if anyone knows why their is some sort of buckle/shackle on the steel thing which hold the right handle of the Nauticam housing together with the main housing body, see the picture attached.

Despite attaching a hand-strap, i can't think of other possible needs?

Attached Images

• hand strap.jpg

#29 VladimirM

VladimirM

Sea Nettle

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:21 AM

I was using D500 on Cayman Island 3 weeks ago and here is some pics. I use fisheye lens 16mm 2.8D. Camera is absolutely amazing and I love it as I usually not shoot with cropped sensor but this cam I like so much. I use with Subal housing ND500 with TTL inbuilt electronic trigger, small 4" dome port and Sea&Sea strobes YS-D1.

More pics

Attached Images

• DSC_0664.jpg
  • DSC_0696FB1potpis.jpg
  • DSC_0352FB.jpg
  • DSC_0413.jpg

#30 VladimirM

VladimirM

Sea Nettle

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:24 AM

More pics

Attached Images

• DSC_0389.jpg

#31 VladimirM

VladimirM

Sea Nettle

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:33 AM

More pics

Attached Images

• DSC_0502.jpg
  • DSC_0523.jpg
  • DSC_0831.jpg
  • DSC_0687.jpg
  • DSC_0548.jpg

#32 simon87

simon87

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:24 AM

Nice pics Vladimir,
with 10fps you can do split shots even with a 4" dome :)
Which Dome did you use? Zen? I guess you had no troubles with shooting one hand (and using back button focus)?

Edited by simon87, 21 July 2016 - 01:26 AM.

#33 Nicool

Nicool

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:53 AM

Congrats Vladimir on the pictures!

Your second wreck picture and the ray are just fantastic!

Great to see your split with 4 inch dome too :-)

And that's why i keep hoping (and asking) for Nauticam to offer hand-straps on their DSLR housings, just like Subal does, or just like Nauticam themselves do on their Mirorless housing, see this item which i had on my mirorless housing:

http://www.nauticam....&sid=12&ssid=57

I think it would take your hand pain away, and provide the usual benefits of hand-straps.

I take also this opportunity to ask if anyone knows why their is some sort of buckle/shackle on the steel thing which hold the right handle of the Nauticam housing together with the main housing body, see the picture attached.

Despite attaching a hand-strap, i can't think of other possible needs?

I am happy to say my prayers apparently got heard: you can find on Nauticam dealers what seems to be a new hand strap compatible with some housings, including the D500 one!! It goes by:

Hand Strap for 28113 Large Handles (for NA-1DXII, D500, D5, 80D)

#34 simon87

simon87

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:44 AM

Congrats Vladimir on the pictures!

Your second wreck picture and the ray are just fantastic!

Great to see your split with 4 inch dome too :-)

I am happy to say my prayers apparently got heard: you can find on Nauticam dealers what seems to be a new hand strap compatible with some housings, including the D500 one!! It goes by:

Hand Strap for 28113 Large Handles (for NA-1DXII, D500, D5, 80D)

Hi Nicool,

Thats very good news. Thanks for the info.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: D500, DX, D810, Sea&Sea, First impressions