• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10708 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:38 AM

I've moved all the chatter about the oceanarium to the following thread to keep things on topic:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=27902

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#22 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:24 PM

Hi,

I am just back from the Smartresort on Mabul. Stayed there for 2 weeks. at the time there were not many divers. Because the Smartresort had reserved many permits for Sipidan we had to go everyday to Sipidan. After 4 days I was very bord of Sipidan. OK the Barracudaschool is very nice also is the turtle cave, but after 4 days the turtles are not that interesting anymore. I asked the Smartresortmanger not to put me on the list for sipidan anymore. That was not possible because the permits were there and I had to pay the dayrates for Sipidan altough I went for the muckdiving at Mabul and kapalai which was very interested although not so good as lembeh. but still very good. Luckely for me the manager managed to get me off the list for the Sipidanpermits for the second week.
For all people who want to dive Sipidan I only can recommand going in 2nd an d 3rd week of January (low season) you won't have to worry about Sipidan permits.

Rob

I agree. I grew bored of Sipidan too. I found the overall biodiversity to be not so good there. And, yes, the turtles even got boring after a while. I am an avid muck diver and really enjoyed the diving around Mabul. Yes, the vis isn't as good, but so what. After a couple of pelagic dives, I am perfectly satisfied to bury my head in a pile of muck!!