• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

The ZenBook 11" & 13" ultrabook PC's are great recommendations. The Samsung Series 9 11" & 13" are also excellent. I would really recommend a 13" system however if you want to do some lightweight photo editing. The size and weight of an 11" vs 13" in PC is really, really small. In the case of both the ZenBook and Series 9 systems above the difference between 13" (2.6 lbs) and 11" (2.4 lbs) is just a few ounces. The extra screen size will make working with photos a lot easier. I know the 13" units are both 1600x900 screen size, which is definitely the minimum you should accept. These are all screaming fast pc's with core i5 cpus and fast SSD drives. The Samsung has the sharpest and brightest screen I have ever seen on a laptop.

Samsung Series 9:
http://www.microsoft...87200/list.true

Please don't pay any mind to suggestions to use VirtualBox or Parallels. This is crazy talk and should be reserved for hard core nerds. And running 2 operating systems on a computer with a 128 GB SSD drive is a HUGE waste of space. The storage is small enough on these systems already. You need more room for photos!!!

#22 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

This is crazy talk and should be reserved for hard core nerds. And running 2 operating systems on a computer with a 128 GB SSD drive is a HUGE waste of space. The storage is small enough on these systems already. You need more room for photos!!!

Yes, this is crazy talk and yes, I'm a hard core nerd :)

It's really only necessary to run a VM of some sort if you absolutely must run a Windows program. I agree it's unnecessary - I do so only because I like to use the Windows version of Microsoft Office. Also, I have this stupid program called iGolf to manage my golf GPS unit which refuses to work well in OSX, so I just use the Windows version of the program :D

On the 128gb drive thing, I will tell you what I'm running on my 15" Macbook Pro:

- 8gb RAM
- 128gb SSD
- 500gb regular hard drive where the CD drive used to be.
- OSX
- Windows 7
- Parallels v.7
- Lightroom 4.0
- Adobe CS5
- Photomatix
- Nik's filters
- Tiffen filters
- Microsoft Office for Windows
- Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc.

I use the 500gb drive for data only, programs and both OS's on the SSD. I have close to 60gb free on the SSD.

I would recommend with any laptop keeping your photos backed up on an external drive, say 500gb or more. In addition to that, I carry a bunch of SD cards with me and don't delete any photos when on a trip. That way, I have my photos in two different places in case of catastrophe.

A 11" or 13" laptop with a 128gb SSD is more than sufficient using this methodology.

JP

Edited by johnspierce, 31 May 2012 - 10:39 AM.

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#23 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:31 PM

I would recommend with any laptop keeping your photos backed up on an external drive, say 500gb or more. In addition to that, I carry a bunch of SD cards with me and don't delete any photos when on a trip. That way, I have my photos in two different places in case of catastrophe.

I use an external 2Tb usb 3 drive for my photos. When I'm out of home my photos are in the SD cards, the laptop drive and in the external drive. I'm a little paranoid. :)
I have now all my photos in Bluray disks for backup, that way I can delete the photos from the SD cards and the laptop drive.
Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#24 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

Hey Diver Pam -

I think you should guesstimate how many photos you will be taking on the trip. Last year I dove Taiwan, Komodo, Lembeh and Palau with one comp. I dove for 5 weeks with a Toshiba netbook with 250 gigs of hard drive space and I filled it up (also had an extra 100 gigs of extra compact flash cards and filled all of those up too). So I would take into account how much storage you will need.

Also - having a larger monitor is helpful for viewing your photos. I really wish I would have had a larger monitor to critique my photos and help my technique.

Just some thoughts!

Cheers,
Jeremy

#25 holloways

holloways

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

Below are the "official" Adobe Lightroom system requirements (which I got from the B&H site).

What are your thoughts about these requirements given Pam (and my) need for a fast and super light weight traveling computer (or MAC) that can run Lightroom. Do these requirements need to be enhanced to make the SW run efficiently? What do these systems REALLY need? (ie: what processor, how much RAM, etc.. I'm not sure about PAM but I'll be taking 16+/- mp RAW photos and I will be on a liveaboard.

Windows:Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon 64 processor
Microsoft Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 or Windows 7 with Service Pack 1
2.0 GB of RAM
1.0 GB of available hard-disk space
1024 x 768 display
DVD-ROM drive
Internet connection required for Internet-based services

Mac OS:
Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
Mac OS X v10.6.8 or v10.7
2.0 GB of RAM
1.0 GB of available hard-disk space
1024 x 768 display
DVD-ROM drive
Internet connection required for Internet-based services

#26 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

I use an external 2Tb usb 3 drive for my photos. When I'm out of home my photos are in the SD cards, the laptop drive and in the external drive. I'm a little paranoid. :)
I have now all my photos in Bluray disks for backup, that way I can delete the photos from the SD cards and the laptop drive.

I have a LaCie 2TB external hard drive and it may weigh more than my Samsung Series 9 13" laptop. It's like turning a 3 pound notebook in to a 6 pounder! I usually carry a small 300mb 2.5" USB drive along for backups and overflow storage, small and light.

#27 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

Below are the "official" Adobe Lightroom system requirements (which I got from the B&H site).

What are your thoughts about these requirements given Pam (and my) need for a fast and super light weight traveling computer (or MAC) that can run Lightroom. Do these requirements need to be enhanced to make the SW run efficiently? What do these systems REALLY need? (ie: what processor, how much RAM, etc.. I'm not sure about PAM but I'll be taking 16+/- mp RAW photos and I will be on a liveaboard.

Nicely put - thanks. I would like to have something that I can take on all my dive trips - but I am specifically looking toward several trips in the next year and a half that will be 3 weeks or more each. My head is still spinning from all of the info. I intend on printing off all of the info in the thread so that I can have it with me as I go through this process.

All good thoughts - sounds like the 13" screen is the better choice for viewing photos on a laptop - and weight is neglible between them.

Know that a thin external hard drive is a must for a dive trip. Okay with that. I use 2 external hard drives on my home PC for my pictures.

Keep in mind - I am NOT a hard core nerd - and having to run 2 OS in one computer will probably be too much for me. I perfer the KISS method.

Looking forward to seeing what else you guys have to say.

DiverPam

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#28 holloways

holloways

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

I spent a good part of the weekend researching computers to address exactly the same thing. While the MAC looked like a great choice - I'm a PC gal and all my support systems (people that can help me fix troubleshoot) use PCs - so I decided to stick with a PC / Windows. There is a category of laptops called "THIN AND LIGHT" that seem to hit the mark.

I scoured PC world, talked to stores, consumer reports, read articles, etc. I ended up buying a light weight laptop at Costco (there is a bunch of them on sale for the next 2 weeks) and there were none a few days ago. I ordered a "Thin and Light" computer with a little heft. After looking at a number of the REALLY Thin and Light computers - I decided they were way too flimsy for travel (they bend like one of those thin cutting boards.... yikes). The great thing about Costco is the return policy (90 days no questions asked – even if used and after 89 days you decide you don’t like the color) and they extend (double) the mfg’s warranty. The ZenBooks look like great machines – but you can’t get them at Costco (fast, inexpensive, hassle free).

Here are the requirements I created for myself after doing my research

Item Requirements
Screen size: 13”
Thick: 0.6-1.0”
Weight: 2.5-3.5 lb
Processor: Intel Core i5 minimum, 1.6 GHz - 2.5GHz (more is better)
Optical Disk Drive: Nice to have for loading software, backing up, copies, movies, etc. Not 100% necessary – but makes it less complicated and more flexible
USB: Multiple ports - at least one of which is USB 3.0
Screen: 1280 x 800
RAM: 4 GB ok, 6 GB is better
Available hard disk space: More is better… 500-700 GB (issue with Solid State machines in that they only come with 128GB hard disks). The 128 may be OK if using external back up and once home I move everything to home machine. My 16 MB pictures in Lightroom suck space fast.
Graphics Card: ??
Power: 6-9 hour battery
Availability: COSTCO
Delivery Schedule: 1 week (I’m leaving on a trip)

Nice to have (more stars = more important)
*** SD Card reader (some have more types, SD at a minimum)
**** Disk Drive - DVD ROM
*** VERY Fast to boot
** RGB and HDMI connector
** Long life battery

I ended up buying this Toshiba Portégé® R835 for $750. A great deal. Highly recommended by the rating agencies and available from Costco in 3-5 days. Good luck.

http://www.costco.co...ductsInCategory

item number: Item # 639140
Sometimes the machine shows up and sometimes it doesn’t – which is why I added the item number

#29 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

This is a really great computer, and you can't beat Costco for service and warranty. Great price on a really powerful and portable system!

I ended up buying this Toshiba Portégé® R835 for $750. A great deal. Highly recommended by the rating agencies and available from Costco in 3-5 days. Good luck.

Sometimes the machine shows up and sometimes it doesn’t – which is why I added the item number

#30 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:25 AM

I spent a good part of the weekend researching computers to address exactly the same thing. While the MAC looked like a great choice - I'm a PC gal and all my support systems (people that can help me fix troubleshoot) use PCs - so I decided to stick with a PC / Windows. There is a category of laptops called "THIN AND LIGHT" that seem to hit the mark.

Sometimes the machine shows up and sometimes it doesn't – which is why I added the item number

Thanks for the info - Appreciate you sharing what you came up with. Sounds like it addresses the issues I am looking at and looks like a good computer. Only problem for me - no Costco in my area. Bu that gives me a great starting place. I will be looking at their website in a few minutes.

Thanks - printing out the list as I am typing. DiverPam

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#31 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:53 AM

Look at the new macbook pro: http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#32 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:38 AM

Look at the new macbook pro: http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

STOP IT!!!
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))°>

#33 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

STOP IT!!!

In looking at the new MacBook Pro all I can say is WOW!!!!

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#34 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:03 AM

In looking at the new MacBook Pro all I can say is WOW!!!!

After a heavy drooling session I do notice that the retina display is only available on the 15"...phew! Now I can be content with my old Macbook air for another year or so until they've squeezed it into the 13" :lol: Mid you it comes at a massive cost compared to the 13"
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))°>

#35 PeteAtkinson

PeteAtkinson

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

I had the same issue; a new PC laptop. I considered the Samsung 9, but instead bought the Asus Zenbook UX31A, which is solid and has a 1920 x 1080 IPS screen. It's the IPS bit which sold it for me. I would have also considered the UX32VD which also has the same display available, but the RAM and HDD are upgradeable. But it wasn't available in Thailand. Since I use a couple of WD 500GB Passports for storage on trips, the fact the UX31A only has 125GB SSD is not an issue.

#36 PeteAtkinson

PeteAtkinson

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:33 AM

We are now driving a 24" Eizo monitor off the Asus UX31A and running Lightroom. It works, althought it's a shade sluggish. There's little space on the SSD for anything but it's easy enough to use a USB 3.0 HDD attached to it. For a second computer, it's fine.

#37 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

I saw the Asus Zenbook and fellt in love with it as he/she is beautiful, light and powerful with a excellent screen and
it is top of the 13" Ultrabooks.
As option would be the Samsung Series 9 900X4C (A04DE) or the HP Envy 14-3000eg Spectre
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#38 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

Now drooling again over options. Will still be PC for me. Have had to put off that purchase for a few months....but keep the thoughts coming guys.

Let us know how the new ultrabooks as a primary are working with lightroom.

Happy diving - DiverPam

The Fin Foundation

#39 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:03 AM

Hi,

I am standing for the same decision and I am also a PC-person...

My choice seems to end up with the ASUS-Zenbook with an 11.6" Screen. Dimensions 299 x 196.8 x 3 ~17 mm (WxDxH) Weight 1.1 kg
The 13.3" Monitor version would be roughly an inch wider&deeper and 0,2kg heavier.
The downside of these ZENBOOKS atre that the come with only 4GB RAM.
I did some checks of importing,rendering & easy editing in LR4 and my desktop never used more than 3.5GB RAM.
So I deemed it OK for Lightroom on the road.
The advantage is that it has 2 USB3 ports. Which gives the possibility to bring 2 external USB3 500GB Memories for storing and easy backup!

Well, those Zenbooks looks really really nice :-)

/Erik

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#40 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:27 AM

Has anyone tried the Microsoft Surface Pro?