Photo
- - - - -

Canon announces EOS 7D (Official Thread)

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Boat diving
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    Digital and Film Photography (duh)
    HD Videography

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:10 PM

Fergus: Can't wait to see your report :)

I finally decided to take the big step, ordered the D7 and upgrade from my old 10D. (I know I'm slow to upgrade).

With the D7 specs it was a "no brainer" for me and did not want to hold out any longer. Why now?

1. Primarily my glass I already owe. Having the Tok10-17 was a big reason to stay APS-C.
2. The D7 HDvideo options of 24-60fps.
3. High speed 8fps in Hi JPG&RAW
4. 100% VF plus LiveView
5. Weather sealing

My wish for the housing is that it will incorporate a remote for capturing wildlife behavior from a distance.

I'm serious considering buying video lights instead of flash to enable the use of video and rapid stills. Maybe flash makers should consider combining video lights within their photo flash units instead of those modeling lights?

I'm sure it will require me to sell my vintage Rolleimarin III system to afford them...LOL.

I have been studying the on-line D7 manual, so I will be ready as soon as I get it in my hands. I'm dying here holding my breath, waiting for this awesome camera to arrive.

Hope to see reports from others and new housings announcements soon. ;)

Bo

I have a 7D in hand now- a pre-production model from Canon and am off to shoot wildlife with for a week starting early tomorrow morning. Unfortunately no underwater testing, but I'll give it a good workout, including the video and report back. From what I've seen so far I'm pretty impressed.

7D and Oly E-PL1 (yet 2b housed) , D10 in upgraded Ike;
Sigma, Tokina and Tamron lenses.
Vintage film NikIII, 35mm & 2.1/4 housings.

#42 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:22 PM

I have been studying the on-line D7 manual, so I will be ready as soon as I get it in my hands. I'm dying here holding my breath, waiting for this awesome camera to arrive.

The full PDF of the Manual is here. Canon 7D Manual (Not sure if the on-line thing was something different or not.

#43 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    HD Videography

Posted 05 September 2009 - 04:48 PM

Yep. talking about same.

I'm amazed of all it can do for only $200 more than I paid back for my new 10D (easier than admitting D10 is worth only 10% of original, and same will happen to D7, but I hope not for awhile).

I do see that this is the future and within my price range (versus going FF). The value factor (camera features versus price) is right for my wants and needs. Even though I expect Canon to come out soon with new 1DmIV ($3K+ is out of my budget) and probably a 60D to fit in the $1,200 range (with less capability than D7).

I may consider in the future to get a 5Dm2 body, but it needs to drop below 2K first, and that is not likely to happen anytime soon.

In the meantime I will get a lot of shooting with my 7D :). I hope and pray that performance is true to the claims and hype. For me it will be quantum leaps of what I'm used to.

Bo

The full PDF of the Manual is here. Canon 7D Manual (Not sure if the on-line thing was something different or not.

#44 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    HD Videography

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:29 PM

Time for wishful thinking.

Another feature I love that Canon decided to build-into the D7 is the multiple flash control with TTL (like Nikon). Could this control feature be included in a housed system? With the D7 having a pop-up flash, could a fiber optics cable allow TTL output control to multiple flash units? Imagine the possibilities.

So here is my big wish. I want a compact lighting unit that will provide me both with video lighting and additional TTL flash/strobe allowing the D7 master control over multiple synchronized flash/strobe units.

Am I wishing for the impossible here?

With the D7 specs it was a "no brainer" for me and did not want to hold out any longer. Why now?

1. Primarily my glass I already owe. Having the Tok10-17 was a big reason to stay APS-C.
2. The D7 HDvideo options of 24-60fps.
3. High speed 8fps in Hi JPG&RAW
4. 100% VF plus LiveView
5. Weather sealing

My wish for the housing is that it will incorporate a remote for capturing wildlife behavior from a distance.

I'm serious considering buying video lights instead of flash to enable the use of video and rapid stills. Maybe flash makers should consider combining video lights within their photo flash units instead of those modeling lights?

Bo

#45 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:07 AM

Well I'm back from shooting with the 7D. In the end I had 3 7D bodies available to me, and I think they were production models. In a nutshell I loved the camera- responsive, rugged, and great high iso. I don't have any sample images, as they're with the client, but they will appear online in time. I will try to get a more detailed set of impressions on my site when I get time.

Things I particularly liked:

The AF is really good. I was shooting birds in flight and other fast-moving subjects and the keeper rate was really high.
The 8fps was great, but probably more use above water than underwater in most instances.
It has a cool way of controlling one or more speedlight flashes wirelessly via digital optical signals from the built-in flash. This was great for macro. Wonder if anyone will develop an UW strobe which works the same way.
The viewfinder is great- 100% coverage and nice and bright, similar to the 5D MkII. This should be handy underwater.
There is a huge amount of customisation available on the camera. Different functions can be assigned to a variety of buttons- for instance you can switch to a whole new set of AF settings at the touch of a single button. And the range of AF settings is pretty massive.
The electronic level in live view is pretty funky and you can even get it to appear in the viewfinder, as lines of focus points.
I havn't had the chance to really delve into the image quality yet, as I was just shooting solidly- several thousand shots over 5 days, but initial impressions are very positive.

All in all a camera that I can't wait to play with more and get it underwater.

Fergus
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#46 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    HD Videography

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:25 AM

Thank you so much for your quick report. I'm very excited and curious about image quality ofcourse. Please let us know when we can see some of your images you made with the 7D. How was the LCD brightness and clarity in comparison to the 5D2? Did you shoot any video with the camera? Again, Thank you for sharing your first impressions :).

Well I'm back from shooting with the 7D. In the end I had 3 7D bodies available to me, and I think they were production models. In a nutshell I loved the camera- responsive, rugged, and great high iso. I don't have any sample images, as they're with the client, but they will appear online in time. I will try to get a more detailed set of impressions on my site when I get time.

Things I particularly liked:

The AF is really good. I was shooting birds in flight and other fast-moving subjects and the keeper rate was really high.
The 8fps was great, but probably more use above water than underwater in most instances.
It has a cool way of controlling one or more speedlight flashes wirelessly via digital optical signals from the built-in flash. This was great for macro. Wonder if anyone will develop an UW strobe which works the same way.
The viewfinder is great- 100% coverage and nice and bright, similar to the 5D MkII. This should be handy underwater.
There is a huge amount of customisation available on the camera. Different functions can be assigned to a variety of buttons- for instance you can switch to a whole new set of AF settings at the touch of a single button. And the range of AF settings is pretty massive.
The electronic level in live view is pretty funky and you can even get it to appear in the viewfinder, as lines of focus points.
I havn't had the chance to really delve into the image quality yet, as I was just shooting solidly- several thousand shots over 5 days, but initial impressions are very positive.

All in all a camera that I can't wait to play with more and get it underwater.

Fergus

Edited by fotoscubo714, 14 September 2009 - 11:31 AM.

#47 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:10 AM

LCD brightness and clarity were great, although I didn't have it alongside a 5D Mkii, it is supposed to be the next generation of technology. I did shoot video with the camera and again initial impressions were excellent. In fact, (I should declare an interst here- the whole project was being filmed for a commercial for Canon), the director often used the 7D in preference to his big pro video rig. We were sometimes fighting over the 7D bodies. He was really excited by the variable frame rate, and being able to shoot 50 or 60 frames a second (in 720p) for slo mo. I won't give too many details about the project, but it will be online on the Canon site hopefully some time in November and at that point the stills from the shoot should also go up. If I get my hands on a 7D again before that I'll post a few sample shots.

All in all, now I've had to give the camera back, I feel I'm missing it already :) .
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#48 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:48 AM

I think this camera could be a watershed moment in the Canon /Nikon competition thing. At least on paper this camera takes some significant steps past it's Nikon competitor the D300s, both for stills and video, and were I to be considering one of these 2 at this point and I did not have investment in any one system, the Canon would be a no brainer. What bothers me is that Nikon's D300 to D300s upgrade was so lame so that no longer are these guys just leapfrogging each other from one generation to the next that it does not really matter which system you buy. I've heard rumors that Nikon's next D700 will be a D700s and not a D700x, in other words just a lame upgrade of adding limited video to the D700. If that does happen, and the upgrade is not an upgrade to a 24MP camera with more advanced video capabilities, then the argument of D700s vs 5DMKII (already almost a year old) would again be a no brainer in Canon's favor. Even I as a diehard Nikon fan, would consider switching, because I could only see Nikon continuing to fall behind in the future, as they have in the past.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#49 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    HD Videography

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:04 PM

Wow, congrats on being invited on that Canon gig. Looking forward to the project results and your images. They need to do better than November though, the camera excitement, momentum and hunger is now. Come on Canon feed us now!

There are more first impression reports coming out (see Canon Rumors for links), which all seem to be very positive. APS-C is not dead and taking some FF shooters for nature, sport and weddings. But, how much is this 7D going to change things for underwater housings and strobe/video light development? I'm sure I'm not the only one here that would want all of the 7D capabilities available and usable down under. I do see this camera to be around for awhile and worth the R&D of a good housing and lighting system.

This camera, like the 5DmII, is just the beginning of a new standard in still/HDvideo hybrids, and no longer should we be thinking of separation between photo and video, but instead of just more camera options to explore and grow into. Although I'm very "Old School" (I still love shooting my housed Hassy 500), I'm excitedly embracing all these new tools for visual communication and artistic expression.

I can't wait to get my hands on mine and I will not let it go, so I never have to miss it. I have already bought a better strap system so the camera does not fall when I finally fall asleep while holding it. :)

Bo

LCD brightness and clarity were great, although I didn't have it alongside a 5D Mkii, it is supposed to be the next generation of technology. I did shoot video with the camera and again initial impressions were excellent. In fact, (I should declare an interst here- the whole project was being filmed for a commercial for Canon), the director often used the 7D in preference to his big pro video rig. We were sometimes fighting over the 7D bodies. He was really excited by the variable frame rate, and being able to shoot 50 or 60 frames a second (in 720p) for slo mo. I won't give too many details about the project, but it will be online on the Canon site hopefully some time in November and at that point the stills from the shoot should also go up. If I get my hands on a 7D again before that I'll post a few sample shots.

All in all, now I've had to give the camera back, I feel I'm missing it already :uwphotog: .

#50 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    HD Videography

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:35 PM

Those damn Brits are the first. Seems that the 7D is now available at a UK dealer, Jessops. Also Canon is putting a lot of info out on their European websites. In their Dutch website (I'm Dutch and able to read "Nederlands" <www.eoszine.nl> the 7D article conclusion hints at 7D features to be available in cheaper future models in a year (my suspicion of a D60 and also a Rebel T1 leak today). I'm sure some limiting restrictions will be applied in comparison to the 7D. Also an extensive 12 page preview on Canon's CPN European website <http://cpn.canon-eur....do#container>.

My question is this: Why have the 7D release in Europe first? Used to be that Japan was first, with US & Canada next, then the rest of the world. What happened? I have my conspiracy theories...LOL.

I'm hoping to hear that mine is in the mail next week.

#51 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:29 PM

I think there've been several watershed moments in the big boy war. The 1D series kicked Nikon's D2 series as did the 5D. Much of the migration started there. Then Nikon benefitted from the 1D Mark III series debacle and the FX series took off. Then came the 5D2 which knocked everyone's socks off.
Nikon will always be behind Canon because of the Canon budget. They can simply outspend Nikon into making better value products. Most stuff is in house so it's always going to be cheaper.
For Nikon, underwater seems to have an entrenched club because of the Nikonos strobe protocol. Whereby it's popular and widely supported. Not so the 6 pin Canon system, where it's so pathetic that only 1 strobe manufacturer handles most functions.
The flash system of Nikon is still ahead of Canon, which is ok but could be a lot better.
I do think with lenses you don't really lose the farm when changing brands but the camera bodies depreciate pretty quickly.
I actually don't want too many people to switch cos with no competition, Canon will sit on its butt and not innovate.

I think this camera could be a watershed moment in the Canon /Nikon competition thing. At least on paper this camera takes some significant steps past it's Nikon competitor the D300s, both for stills and video, and were I to be considering one of these 2 at this point and I did not have investment in any one system, the Canon would be a no brainer. What bothers me is that Nikon's D300 to D300s upgrade was so lame so that no longer are these guys just leapfrogging each other from one generation to the next that it does not really matter which system you buy. I've heard rumors that Nikon's next D700 will be a D700s and not a D700x, in other words just a lame upgrade of adding limited video to the D700. If that does happen, and the upgrade is not an upgrade to a 24MP camera with more advanced video capabilities, then the argument of D700s vs 5DMKII (already almost a year old) would again be a no brainer in Canon's favor. Even I as a diehard Nikon fan, would consider switching, because I could only see Nikon continuing to fall behind in the future, as they have in the past.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#52 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    HD Videography

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:56 PM

I have always been a Canon guy ever since their F1 with the sportfinder in 1970's. The difficult choice then too was between the two, with Canon being more attractively priced in comparison to Nikon. Only Nikon products were my Nikonos III and V, because nobody else offered anything close to them and Nikon was very successful because of that monopoly in a niche market.

I take my hat off for Nikon to be willing to develop their professional underwater line back then, but understandingly them dropped it when digital came in. Fast forward 40 years and things have not changed. Canon continues to have these watershed moments when they can meet the need for value with the masses by offering hybrid options in every price range and leave the specialized niches to the 3rd party manufacturing. Let's face it, for them high end professional underwater camera gear is a low income niche market. Not worth all the expensive R&D (i'm talking SLR here not P&S).

The development of hybrids (still with HDvideo cams) will now challenge our need for new lighting options. Underwater photography is all about bringing down with you proper lighting. Now we need video and strobe lighting, hopefully in one compact package that can meet both needs on the same dive and allow easy switching between the two options. The topside features and options on the 7D scream for new underwater inclusions. How difficult would it be to include LED video lighting together with dedicated slave TTL from the camera master? I'm no engineer, but it must be possible? I think that old fashioned strobe cable systems with pins is outdated and old thinking. Fiber transmission seems more logical.

Maybe we should forget about strobes all together and just have (powerful, long burning, easy output adjusting) video lights. I have no experience trying to do this, maybe somebody here can provide any experience in this. I belief that this HD video option with Hybrids is going to change the rules for this ball game and offer new opportunities for those manufacturers that embrace it.

I'm hoping to have my hands on my 7D next week and see if there is any close housing fit, although I seriously doubt it. I may consider some DIY options if minor modifications seem possible and start saving for when housings become available in a year or so. Keep ya'll posted.

I think there've been several watershed moments in the big boy war. The 1D series kicked Nikon's D2 series as did the 5D. Much of the migration started there. Then Nikon benefitted from the 1D Mark III series debacle and the FX series took off. Then came the 5D2 which knocked everyone's socks off.
Nikon will always be behind Canon because of the Canon budget. They can simply outspend Nikon into making better value products. Most stuff is in house so it's always going to be cheaper.
For Nikon, underwater seems to have an entrenched club because of the Nikonos strobe protocol. Whereby it's popular and widely supported. Not so the 6 pin Canon system, where it's so pathetic that only 1 strobe manufacturer handles most functions.
The flash system of Nikon is still ahead of Canon, which is ok but could be a lot better.
I do think with lenses you don't really lose the farm when changing brands but the camera bodies depreciate pretty quickly.
I actually don't want too many people to switch cos with no competition, Canon will sit on its butt and not innovate.

#53 jejochen

jejochen

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:06 AM

has anyone heard news already about housings for the 7D?
I already have ports and stuff from ikelite, but the customer service still can't confirm they will produce a housing for this cam...

#54 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:24 AM

Not that its cloak and dagger, but the engineering dudes are pretty early in and usually late leaving these days, so I guess they got to be up to something already.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#55 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:32 AM

Here's hoping. I'm seriously tempted by an Aquatica for the 7D......
Oh, and I hope it has optical connectors.

Edited by Ferg42, 30 September 2009 - 07:11 AM.

Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#56 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    HD Videography

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:36 AM

has anyone heard news already about housings for the 7D?
I already have ports and stuff from ikelite, but the customer service still can't confirm they will produce a housing for this cam...

I think it is safe to assume that Ikelite will have one as all the other major housing manufacturers like Aquatica, since this camera seems pretty popular from the get go and is already on back order at many dealers after initial shipments. Luckily, I'm receiving mine tomorrow.
My choice of housing will be that one that allows easy use of all the outstanding new features of the camera and probably require some significant retooling of current designs. I'm curious to see how design engineers address the new needs.

Bo

#57 Backscatter

Backscatter

Clownfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:20 AM

Hello,

We've heard from Aquatica, Sea & Sea, and Subal that they are planning to make housings. I know that Subal hopes to have a prototype to show at DEMA, depending on when they get their camera bodies. Ikelite is fairly certain, but we have not heard word from them officially.

We will stock housings from all of these brands as soon as they are shipping (and can order Seacam, if they produce one), which at this point will likely be end of the year/beginning of 2010. We also just received our first shipment of cameras this week.

Best regards,

Sterling

I think it is safe to assume that Ikelite will have one as all the other major housing manufacturers like Aquatica, since this camera seems pretty popular from the get go and is already on back order at many dealers after initial shipments. Luckily, I'm receiving mine tomorrow.
My choice of housing will be that one that allows easy use of all the outstanding new features of the camera and probably require some significant retooling of current designs. I'm curious to see how design engineers address the new needs.

Bo

Edited by Backscatter, 30 September 2009 - 08:29 AM.

Backscatter Underwater Video & Photo
831-645-1082
www.backscatter.com
Contact Us!

#58 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:58 AM

Amigos,

Played with a 7D at my local store yesterday (they got in 3 at 1:00 p.m. and 2 were gone by 3 p.m.!)

Very very nice....Viewfinder is incredible and feels as solid as any PRO camera to me.

Know it's not everyone's flavor but I believe Ikelite got one already and is working on it. I have many fellow Ike shooters already selling their 40D, 50D and Rebels because they can use APS-C Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye and others on the 7D.

Looks like a great choice for UW.....

dhaas
David Haas
www.haasimages.com

#59 Backscatter

Backscatter

Clownfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:28 PM

Hi again,

Jim Decker, Backscatter CEO, had a chance to shoot some test footage with one of the 7D cameras that just arrived at the shop this week. Good news - the bitrate of the Quicktime files is even higher than the 5D Mark II!! In 1080p mode, the footage is encoded at 46 Mbps, and in 720p at 47 Mbps. This compared to 42 Mbps from the 5DMKII.

Also, toggling custom settings allows the frame rate to be set in 25p and 50p for PAL, in addition to the 24p, 30p and 60p for NTSC. 50p and 60p are only available in 720p mode, but still, this should be very interesting for shooting at higher frame rates and then re-conforming using Cinema Tools for slow motion effects.

We've yet to test high ISO footage, but this will be the next big factor to check out against the 5D Mark II, to see how the APS size sensor holds up. Hopefully the dual processors will make a difference in noise reduction.

Best regards,

Sterling

Edited by Backscatter, 01 October 2009 - 09:29 PM.

Backscatter Underwater Video & Photo
831-645-1082
www.backscatter.com
Contact Us!

#60 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    HD Videography

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:59 PM

Well, mine arrived this morning and I have been having one OMG!, OMG!, OMG! moments all day playing with it. (Remember this is a quantum leap from my D10). Just for the heck of it, I tried fitting it in my D10 Ikelite and only the mode control matches, so I need to start looking and saving for a new housing.

What is the normal average development time for a housing these days? I have not been in the new housing market for a long time. Guess I will research the housing development for the 5DmII and get some idea.

Off to bed with my new girl friend, my sweet 7D. :D

Amigos,

Played with a 7D at my local store yesterday (they got in 3 at 1:00 p.m. and 2 were gone by 3 p.m.!)

Very very nice....Viewfinder is incredible and feels as solid as any PRO camera to me.

Know it's not everyone's flavor but I believe Ikelite got one already and is working on it. I have many fellow Ike shooters already selling their 40D, 50D and Rebels because they can use APS-C Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye and others on the 7D.

Looks like a great choice for UW.....

dhaas