31 replies to this topic

#1 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

Long a stalwart in the Still Photo housing market, Canadian based Aquatica has recently announced the introduction of a new line of aluminum housings for the Sony HDR-SR11/12 and the NEW Sony HDR-XR500V/520V HD camcorders.

Here are the specs for the housings, looks pretty exciting for users of these cameras, I especially like the access to manual white balance control.

Construction:
- Marine grade solid aluminum
- Fully anodized with a hard coat of polyurethane paint
- All hardware is marine grade aluminum & stainless steel
Controls:
- On/Off
- Record/ Standby
- Photo
- Zoom Telephoto / Zoom Wide
- Home Button (touch screen access)
- Option Button (touch screen access)
- Tele Macro (touch screen access)
- White Balance One Push (touch screen access)
- Manual Control Knobs to access Focus, Exposure, AE Shift & WB Shift
- Smooth Slow-Motion Functionality (touch screen)

Features:
- Flip filter Arm with UR Pro blue water color correction filter
- Sensitive Hydrophone to capture clear underwater sound
- Water sensor alarm with blinking LED
- Bayonet Mounted Lens System
- 2 Auxiliary ports

Ports:
- Standard dome port: Optically corrected to give 1:1 angle of view underwater
- Flat port: Best choice for macro work, allows full zoom through with diopters.
- Wide angle port: A good all around performance lens giving 70°FOV with full zoom through, & 90° FOV with macro adapter off the port, giving partial zooming.

Dimensions:
- 7" D x 4.8" H x 9.5" W (14.5"with handles)
- 17.7cm D x 12.2cm H x 24cm W (37cm with handles)

Weight:
- On land 7.5lbs (Kg) fully loaded w/camera battery and lens.
- In seawater slightly negative buoyancy

Operating Depth:
- 300 feet / 90 meters

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#2 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1232 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:10 AM

Here are some photo's of the new units
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6192 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:27 AM

Thanks Peter.. my connection slow at the moment :P

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#4 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:26 AM

Price anyone?
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#5 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1232 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:28 AM

$2495 USD is the number the comes to mind.

Edited by pmooney, 04 April 2009 - 04:29 AM.

#6 dbeitz

dbeitz

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:29 AM

I'm wondering if my Sony HC9 will fit in it. I just went to Aquatica's website, but I can't find any mention of them there. Anyone know where I can more info online?

#7 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1232 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:19 AM

I would think it very unlikely that the HC9 would be compatible with the Aquatica Wave - the thing with mechanical housings is that all those buttons need to line up.

As I understand it the prototype was developed around the SR12 and the shipping version will be for the XR500 /520 series of hard drive cameras.

#8 Video-Joe

Video-Joe

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:13 AM

$2495 USD is the number the comes to mind.

We are still fumbling some numbers around, we want to be aggressive yet not compromise standard options and accessories. We will have a firm price in a few weeks. It will be a bang for your buck!
Joe Bendahan
AKA: Video-Joe
Amphibico
www.amphibico.com
Marketing Guy

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

Joe, welcome to WP and congrats on the new gig at Aquatica. Please make it bang in canuck bucks. The US buck is getting higher these days. :good:
Also, if you guys can setup resolution and distortion chart tests for your WA ports, you'd be the first manufacturer to do so publicly. So much of that information is dependent on reviews and testing.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#10 ccad

ccad

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:15 AM

Wow,, arent you the guy that was at amphibico before and preaching the virtues of electronics housings over mechanical,,,,and now, selling such mechanical unit??

#11 Video-Joe

Video-Joe

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:50 AM

Wow,, arent you the guy that was at amphibico before and preaching the virtues of electronics housings over mechanical,,,,and now, selling such mechanical unit??

yes, indeed nearly a 10 year venture with Amphibico and enjoyed working with great colleagues. Now I have moved on to different challenges yet similar endeavours in this fun and crazy industry of underwater imaging. I have nothing bad to say in regards to electronic based housings, but the bottom line is that you cannot access all key important features through the remote , thus limiting the use of many important functions electronically. Today many of the camcorder manufactures are limiting the availability to basic functions remotely, thus not allowing the user more flexibility to access the manual options on the camcorder. Low behold the mechanical based housing, now access to almost all key controls are achieved allowing for the best possible control of the camcorder underwater...
Joe Bendahan
Amphibico
www.amphibico.com
Marketing Guy

#12 Rogersea

Rogersea

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:55 PM

. Today many of the camcorder manufactures are limiting the availability to basic functions remotely, thus not allowing the user more flexibility to access the manual options on the camcorder. Low behold the mechanical based housing, now access to almost all key controls are achieved allowing for the best possible control of the camcorder underwater...

So did you guys come up with a price?
Cheers

#13 Video-Joe

Video-Joe

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:43 PM

So did you guys come up with a price?
Cheers

Yes, after weeks of nunber crunching, we have decided to lauch the "HD WAVE" FULLY loaded, including Wide angle lens, hydrophone, wet alarm, UR PRO color correction filter etc, at the LOW price of $2395USD. Release date is on target for mid June.

Regards
Joe Bendahan
Amphibico
www.amphibico.com
Marketing Guy

#14 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:18 PM

O ...Hello Joe, just put two and two together. :)
A change is a good as a holiday, all the best in your new path.

That would be a nice little unit for messing around in the surf with.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#15 Video-Joe

Video-Joe

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:16 AM

O ...Hello Joe, just put two and two together. :)
A change is a good as a holiday, all the best in your new path.

Yep, it's me again, just couldn't stay away from such a fun, challenging and demanding industry. The one thing I love about this trade given its niche market is all the great people you meet from all over the world. It's like one big "happy" family.....

It's great to hear from all those I have met over the nearly 10 years I have been in the underwater imaging industry business.
Joe Bendahan
Amphibico
www.amphibico.com
Marketing Guy

#16 Video-Joe

Video-Joe

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:26 AM

[/quote]

I had the prototype in the water a few weeks back and the size, balance and handling makes it WAVE of fun to shoot with....
Joe Bendahan
Amphibico
www.amphibico.com
Marketing Guy

#17 Andy F.

Andy F.

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:05 AM

I had the prototype in the water a few weeks back and the size, balance and handling makes it WAVE of fun to shoot with....

Hi there Joe,

I am looking for a small housing, but need to take it much deeper than 90 M. What is the limiting parts of your housing?
Lens? Could the poly carbonate screen in front of the LCD be made thicker? If the buttons, could heavier springs be used?
150 m would be ok, but would prefer 200 m.

Cheers,

Andy

#18 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:42 AM

I hope I'm wrong, but those buttons look like the type that may be pressure sensitive and have problems working at depth.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#19 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:38 PM

Steve, is that speculation on your part or do you know the strength of the springs on the buttons? It's strange that you'd make a comment like that, especially if there isn't any basis for it.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#20 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:25 AM

Not strange, I made no criticism, I just said they appeared just like the buttons from SeaTool that I have heard several concerns about regarding working properly under pressure. That's an observation, not a judgement.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.