• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DS256

DS256

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:07 AM

I dive with reading glass inserts in bottom on my mask. This allows me to read my gauges and check camera settings. However, on land, I wear progressive bifocal glasses. There have been times when diving when I wished I had the same bifocal. I was wondering of anyone else's experience at purchasing and using full prescription mask lenses to provide the same bifocal capability. Thanks

#2 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:37 AM

Yep.  I got to the same situation (after wearing a single-vision prescription mask for many years) and finally went bifocal when my distance prescription made it hard to see up close.  I could not be happier.  Gauges and viewfinders are sharp again.  Go here, they know what they are doing and make high quality masks:

https://prescriptiondivemasks.com/ 

#3 tursiops

tursiops

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:47 AM

Yep.  I got to the same situation (after wearing a single-vision prescription mask for many years) and finally went bifocal when my distance prescription made it hard to see up close.  I could not be happier.  Gauges and viewfinders are sharp again.  Go here, they know what they are doing and make high quality masks:

I concur with this recommendation. Great outfit.
On the other hand, I just had cataract/lens replacement surgery in both eyes and can now see near and far with no correction. Amazing technology! The hardest problem was finding and inserting the original plain lenses for all my masks.

#4 DS256

DS256

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:45 AM

Thanks. Both a little steep for me but good ideas.

#5 Easydiver2

Easydiver2

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography and Video, PC computers, Network Security, Good Dining

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:42 PM

Thanks. Both a little steep for me but good ideas.

Have you tired to go monovision?  I use my left eye for distance so my mask left lens has -1.0 diopter and my right eye gets the -2.0 diopter for reading vision.

Found a good mask with wide range of diopters minus and plus. Spirit2 with single vision diopters in both eyes around $72

Here's a mask with bifocal lenses custom ground to your regular vision from Snorkel-Mart.com for $269.95

http://www.snorkel-m...edProductID=119

Edited by Easydiver2, 26 May 2016 - 10:19 PM.

Canon Powershot S80
Ikelite housing 6140.08
Hienrich Wiekamp Digital Adapter2-Nikon
using Ikelite Substrobe 50, 300.

#6 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:07 PM

Another satisfied user here!

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#7 IcyMike

IcyMike

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:29 PM

One more vote for prescriptiondivemasks.com!  I have a reasonably strong prescription, and was skeptical about how good it would be when put into a dive mask. Well surprise surprise when my new mask arrived..  I was/am amazed!  Fantastic clear vision!  Maybe even better than my regular glasses.  Definitely worth the investment imo.

#8 FLAFROG

FLAFROG

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:51 PM

I have been using SCUBA OPTICS For my bifocals over 20 years and highly recommend them.

scubaoptics@comcast   

#9 DS256

DS256

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:37 PM

Thanks all.