Photo
- - - - -

Your Bali "Must Do" Topside Recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:57 PM

We've stayed at Pertewi and Barong. Both great for the money. They are easy walking distance to the monkey forest. I love the monkey forest. Go early before the crowds get there and the monkeys are stuffed. Explore all the areas.

We've bought several wood carvings. I think the big pricey place is Manis, but you can negotiate 60% off and free shipping to the States. Tell them you are an Aussie and they will negotiate more off. We've developed a taste for the wood carvings. I love the Hibiscus stuff.

Met the owners of Big Mango furniture store of Dallas while dining at Wayan restaurant (highly recommended). They do 2 or 3 trips each year to buy containers of product.

To quote Terrell Owens PR rep and decorator, "I love the art from Bali, but I've always loved Mediterranean stuff."
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#22 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:06 PM

Does anyone know anything about Hotel Alila in Ubud ?

I'm going on a group liveaboard trip with a local dive shop. We are staying in Bali for 3 nights prior to going Ambon-Sorong. The trip leader has selected the Alila. Normally I like to research and make my own selections, but since I am traveling solo, I decided to follow the group.

Any information would be appreciated.

#23 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10706 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:59 PM

I stayed there when it was the Chedi and once as the Alila in 2004. The rooms haven't changed much but I prefer the newer Uma. The Alila has the more picturesque view over the Ayung river valley but Uma is better appointed and the river Oos is decent. You can always go over to the Alila for the Rijstiffel banquet. And the Uma is cheaper too. The Alila is further away from Ubud center (which isn't a bad thing).
The Alila is greenglobe certified if that matters to you. Uma is more holistic organic food stuff. Claudia Dunlop was the chef at Uma but I think she's gone to Parrot Cay now.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#24 elbuzo

elbuzo

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Photography + cave diving

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:47 PM

Does anyone know anything about Hotel Alila in Ubud ?

I'm going on a group liveaboard trip with a local dive shop. We are staying in Bali for 3 nights prior to going Ambon-Sorong. The trip leader has selected the Alila. Normally I like to research and make my own selections, but since I am traveling solo, I decided to follow the group.

Any information would be appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was there with my wife in October/2006. Beautiful rooms , great views of the Ayung River . Their pool is considered one of the best in the world ( i'm not a pool fan and didn't tried , but it looks great ) .

The food is only ok at their restaurant ( breakfast are better ) and really expensive , after first dinner we opted to go to many of the great restaurants at Ubud . I liked most Mosaic ( their sampler menu with their companion wines is to die for, you need to book in advance ). Ary's Warung , Batu Kilibit ? (Dirty Duck) ask for the crispy duck .

You will find better spa/massages out of the hotel.

I loved the ambience of Ubud , the show at night are very good experiences and the town great place for shopping but it takes time to find the best places.

Good luck

#25 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:07 AM

THe Alam Jiwa is the best of that lot. If you feel lucky, go to Bali then look. You get better deals bargaining at the doorstep than online.

I have been very impressed with the fact that some have mentioned the Alam Jiwa for accomodations in the Ubud area in Bali. I checked the website (thanks for the link) and noticed that not all of the rooms were air conditioned. The ones that didn't have A/C had ceiling fans. We will be in Bali in mid-October and are concerned about the comfort factor.

Has anyone been to Bali in mid-October (or similar time frame) and had a room which did not have A/C? If so, was it stifling hot or was it tolerable?

Thanks again to everyone for all the great information and for helping our group plan its trip.

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#26 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10706 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 02:47 PM

I dislike a/c and Bali is usually cooler during evening. It's usually around 75-81°F at night. If anything, it'll be the humidity that gets you. Usually around 60-75% during Oct.
It's very subjective. My gf who is from your neck of the woods likes the a/c at 76° on the warmer nights.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#27 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:Kick-boxing, English Premier League, SCUBA, aqua-culturing SPS and LPS, yoga

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:18 AM

I am happy to hear all the good recommendations regarding Ubud, Bali.
In June my fiance and I will be staying in Ubud for 3 days before we head off to
Tanajaland in Sulawesi, followed by a week of diving at Wakatobi.