Photo
- - - - -

Who is excited about Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 4K?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 03:41 AM

I wonder when we the first housing will be announced. I cannot believe that someone won't make a housing for this.

#42 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 04:49 AM

If it's possible to remotely control the camera via LANC protocol or USB, I guess it should be very easy for Easydive to produce a controller for one of their housing.

https://www.easydive.it/en/

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#43 thani

thani

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:28 AM

Here is a thread that compares the BMD Pocket 4K to the GH5. I’m not really impressed if the P4k is similar to the GH5 in low light performance :(
https://forum.blackm...php?f=2&t=79898
Best Regards,
Thani

#44 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:08 AM

Depends on the price of the housing, the Pocket Cinema 4K probably is not that attractive due to the fact that it doesn't have IBIS. The Panasonic full frame has IBIS, even thought it will be twice the price of the Cinema 4K, but the Panasonic full frame seems to be more "future proof" for a while in term of image quality.

#45 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:43 AM

Here is a thread that compares the BMD Pocket 4K to the GH5. I’m not really impressed if the P4k is similar to the GH5 in low light performance :(

well, may depend on the capabilities of the user. This LL-stuff looks pretty impressive
https://youtu.be/Z-3FT-F--9s

#46 thani

thani

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 29 September 2018 - 09:27 AM

Depends on the price of the housing, the Pocket Cinema 4K probably is not that attractive due to the fact that it doesn't have IBIS. The Panasonic full frame has IBIS, even thought it will be twice the price of the Cinema 4K, but the Panasonic full frame seems to be more "future proof" for a while in term of image quality.

We’ll see...
Best Regards,
Thani

#47 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 11:08 PM

Some side by side test with the GH5s

Which is which...

Info here:

http://tide.film/bla...panasonic-gh5s/

Results:

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#48 Atobit

Atobit

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 11:26 PM

Today’s cameras produce very nice footage already and as the BMPCC 4K is supposed to have the same sensor as the GH5S, the difference will come on how BMD has manage their color science.
Also despite the BMD camera looks like a hybrid camera, it is not one. It still have the original BMPCC heritage. You’ll have to learn how to work with it.
What make me want the BMPCC is the BRAW for what you can recover in post, other than that the GH5S offer more practical feature for easy shooting.
What’s your first impression after looking the online tests available?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#49 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 11:43 PM

What’s your first impression after looking the online tests available?

First impression... Panasonic are over changing us for the GH5s by a $1000...

As to image quality, at the moment from the examples I've seen, I can't see any real differences against the GH5s - nothing that would make me start offloading my GHx gear.

BRAW will be interesting, but still feel both Panasonic and BM are getting almost all of the sensor info already... but look forward to see some BRAW vs ProRes soon.

For underwater, the bigger screen (it being tilted also) - might make it great for underwater as it negates the need of an external monitor.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#50 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:36 AM

The fact that they shoot in a high-bitrate, high flexibility raw format (and especially Black Magic Raw, which is an excellent compromise between versitility, file size and computational requirements) is a HUGE plus for this over the GH5/s underwater imo.

The screen would be another big benefit underwater, and may eliminate the need for an external monitor while keeping the whole rig streamlined.

Compared to this, the limited autofocus ability shouldn't be a major problem underwater. The battery life is not great, but should be enough for one dive. It's also nice that you get a choice between different recording medium (SD cards, CF and SSDs through USB-C).

Of course.. we need a housing. And hopefully one that isn't three times the price of the camera. If that comes out, you can bet I'll be testing this guy's capabilities underwater.

I think this would pair up really great with the new 10-25mm F1.7 lens for general wide angle shooting underwater also. Rectilinear 20-50MM is an idea focal length range for video underwater IMO -- enough for wide angle scenic without excessive corner distortion and also close-up shots of anything non-macro. 

#51 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:23 AM

What do you guys think of the shortcoming of not having IBIS? I know a guy who said the IBIS in the GH5 made shooting video super great. Those who have GH5 and GH5S, how bad is the IBIS difference?

I have been shooting video seriously for about 3 years, most time I can get the footage stable depends on dive condition and how relax I am. However, 90% of the time I still get micro jitters shake regardless how I configure my rig to make it neutral/slightly negative. IBIS would have taken care of these micro jitters.

#52 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:43 AM

The difference is extreme on land for Dual-IS vs just lens IS if you for example do some recording while walking.

But I still feel, if you get a balanced rig underwater the GH5s with an optically stabilised lens provides great results.

Got a couple of weeks of back to back diving end of Oct - its one of the thinks I'm going to have a play with.

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#53 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:23 AM

The difference is extreme on land for Dual-IS vs just lens IS if you for example do some recording while walking.

But I still feel, if you get a balanced rig underwater the GH5s with an optically stabilised lens provides great results.

Got a couple of weeks of back to back diving end of Oct - its one of the thinks I'm going to have a play with.

would be good if you could test dual vs single IS Richard

Cooling might be another issue. The camera uses a fan for cooling which will be recycling warm air inside a housing. Even if its an aluminum one. Use to have overheating warning on RX100 Mk4 when was shooting 4k even on an aluminum housing.

#54 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1855 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:05 PM

There is a world of difference between dual IS and lens IS
Anyway the cooling and battery issues can be solved using a recorder with a battery pack underwater but this will make this set up expensive again
Anyone asked Nauticam if an housing is planned?

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#55 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 03:53 AM

There is a world of difference between dual IS and lens IS

On land for sure, I don't know for uw shots. That is why i am trying to find tests of it

#56 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1855 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:00 AM

On land for sure, I don't know for uw shots. That is why i am trying to find tests of it

bubffm you can ask him

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#57 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:59 AM

Walking side by side video:

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#58 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:00 PM

What do you guys think of the shortcoming of not having IBIS? I know a guy who said the IBIS in the GH5 made shooting video super great. Those who have GH5 and GH5S, how bad is the IBIS difference?

I have both. On my trip to French Polynesia I used the GH5S underwater. It looked ok when casually checking the footage on a notebook during the trip. But during editing back home on a big screen iMac, the Micro-jitters were very apparent. and with strong currents you could „see“ the drag more than what I got with the GH5. I could fix some issues in post-stabilisation, but many not.

I‘d certainly go for the stabilized GH5 again next time and not the „s“.

#59 Hmmm

Hmmm

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 05:29 PM

I have asked nauticam. They will be looking closer at this once they have a unit they can test.

I asked for slots for large external batteries and ssd drive. Essentially flat mount under the base of the camera something like the sony cameras currently have and they took that feedback.

Im sure this camera will be housed and they arent far away from doing it though i havent heard anything for quite a few months.

Edited by Hmmm, 10 October 2018 - 05:30 PM.

#60 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:06 AM

I have both. On my trip to French Polynesia I used the GH5S underwater. It looked ok when casually checking the footage on a notebook during the trip. But during editing back home on a big screen iMac, the Micro-jitters were very apparent. and with strong currents you could „see“ the drag more than what I got with the GH5. I could fix some issues in post-stabilisation, but many not.

I‘d certainly go for the stabilized GH5 again next time and not the „s“.

That's just what I thought with the GH5S short coming, the BlackMagic Cinema 4K will have the same issue. The micro jitters could be smooth out in post such as using warp stabilizer, but you would have to sacrifice 5% of resolution to crop. Ideally a camera that do not have IBIS should shoot at 4.5K so there would be plenty of room to crop for stabilization in post.