• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#1 aussie

aussie

Tiger Shark

• 544 posts
  • Interests:Diving - most weekends, music, photography

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:09 PM

Just came accross this, looks like it's been announced.

DP Review: Canon EOS 5D Mark II

Edited by aussie, 16 September 2008 - 08:14 PM.

Pedlow Photographics
My Flickr
On Twitter

Canon EOS 7D. Aquatica A7D. Inon Z240's. Canon, Tokina and Sigma glass.

#2 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:21 PM

1/200 flash sync and no popup flash. Otherwise pretty good. :uwphotog: I'm glad they went with 21MP. Now Canon has full resolution in both small and large bodies. If Nikon does theirs, this will place more pressure on them to support both bodies too IMO. Without a 20+MP D700x, this camera looks like the hot choice for underwater.

A 16-18MP 5D2 wouldn't make too much sense with the 50D just announced at 15MP.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#3 StuartL

StuartL

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:22 PM

So now I have a dilemma. Do I get a housing for my 5D (I have the ports already, so I've committed to the Aquatica housing), or do I wait for the 5D II to become available, pick that up, and then wait for Aquatica to make a housing for that body?

Get it "now", versus getting a higher resolution, higher ISO camera in four or five months ... gah!

#4 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:28 PM

The camera does look good. We can start the game of "will it fit into the old housing".

Superficially, it looks about the same shape and size with buttons in about the same places.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#5 segal3

segal3

Powerful Sea Gull

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:37 PM

Weathersealed 24L II ! :uwphotog:
Matt Segal - carbonos scuba

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:51 PM

Here are more specs:
http://www.usa.canon...p;modelid=17662
1080/30p at 30 mins= 4GB file limit of FAT32. Seems to be MPEG4 encoding. Now this makes me sit up and pay attention.
No weather sealing though. And they didn't upgrade the AF to match the D700, although the "6 invisible focus assist points" sound mysterious.
Did anyone notice the new 24/1.4? I think Matt did.

Oh and Herb... no such luck... the dimensions are the same but the layout looks significantly different. Maybe an upgrade kit. It's got more buttons on the back and right top side

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:55 PM

Hooray, its here!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#8 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:36 PM

Here are more specs:
http://www.usa.canon...p;modelid=17662
1080/30p at 30 mins= 4GB file limit of FAT32. Seems to be MPEG4 encoding. Now this makes me sit up and pay attention.
No weather sealing though. And they didn't upgrade the AF to match the D700, although the "6 invisible focus assist points" sound mysterious.
Did anyone notice the new 24/1.4? I think Matt did.

Oh and Herb... no such luck... the dimensions are the same but the layout looks significantly different. Maybe an upgrade kit. It's got more buttons on the back and right top side

Most of the buttons and dials are at about the same places including the all important PRINT button. There's a new one AF-ON that's in a new location. If this replaces AF function of the * button then that function would be missed.

With a sensor that has 5616 photosites across it should be possible to do 1080 with a ~3x digital zoom without losing any resolution! Have you seen any more details about how they're doing it?

Canon's new Powershot has a CMOS sensor and will also do 1080/30p.
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#9 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:43 PM

Most of the buttons and dials are at about the same places including the all important PRINT button

:uwphotog: :)

Body-only prices: US: $ 2,699, EU: 2,499, UK: 2,299.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#10 aussie

aussie

Tiger Shark

• 544 posts
  • Interests:Diving - most weekends, music, photography

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:43 PM

No weather sealing though.

Is environmental protection different to weather sealing?
Pedlow Photographics
My Flickr
On Twitter

Canon EOS 7D. Aquatica A7D. Inon Z240's. Canon, Tokina and Sigma glass.

#11 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:02 PM

HOLY CRAP

It's tempting to get this camera for its video feature. Although, I assume auto-focus in live-view mode will be crappy, and that people will rely on manual focus. You'll have try to focus using the LCD, and even though it's a high-res display, it may be difficult to do...

I still need weather sealing for topside, so I ain't gonna get this camera for topside use.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#12 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:18 PM

Most of the buttons and dials are at about the same places including the all important PRINT button. There's a new one AF-ON that's in a new location. If this replaces AF function of the * button then that function would be missed.

With a sensor that has 5616 photosites across it should be possible to do 1080 with a ~3x digital zoom without losing any resolution! Have you seen any more details about how they're doing it?
Canon's new Powershot has a CMOS sensor and will also do 1080/30p.

Herb, I dunno... those hi res pics shows the VF is lower and multi controller is shifted right. Hope it's not true though.

Is environmental protection different to weather sealing?

environmental protection is a marketing term for half-assed weather sealing. It's sorta like the EPA. :uwphotog:

Eric, why can't you focus first thru the VF then go to video? Rack focus will be an issue but with practice it isn't daunting. A lot better than servo lenses that's for sure.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#13 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:37 AM

Just done some quick-and-dirty measurements from the hi-res MkII pics and compared them with my 5D. As Drew said, it looks like the VF is around 1mm lower in the new model and the centre of the thumbwheel is about 2mm further to the right. The buttons down the left side are obviously in slightly different postions too, as there are more of them.
Anyway, might just still be workable, or modifiable, at least till new housings come out. Here's hoping!
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#14 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:45 AM

ISO to 25600. Does this mean better noise handling than the DSMKIII? and similar or better to the D3/D700? If so that would really be impressive beyond the just the MP and video.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#15 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:20 AM

Herb, I dunno... those hi res pics shows the VF is lower and multi controller is shifted right. Hope it's not true though.

environmental protection is a marketing term for half-assed weather sealing. It's sorta like the EPA. :uwphotog:

Eric, why can't you focus first thru the VF then go to video? Rack focus will be an issue but with practice it isn't daunting. A lot better than servo lenses that's for sure.

http://www.dpreview....noneos5dmarkII/

Water resistance: 10 mm rain in 3 minutes

Does not sound half-assed to me. 10mm in 3 minutes is heaver rain than you would get in a hurricane.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#16 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:24 AM

Well that's equal to 200mm per hour... which is less than the 1D series' 254mm per hour resistance. So I apologize for my bad math... it's about 3/4 ass implementation. :uwphotog:
Seriously, you'd think that little 54mm isn't a big deal but it is. Sea spray, waves and animals kicking up water will all kill a lesser camera and lens. Little things like no rubber around the battery compartment, even though it's underneath the camera, have killed the comparably weather sealed D2X. Ask Mr Falsa Orca if he's reading this (sorry to bring up your nightmare but it's time you switched anyways :)) Btw you have to match the camera to a L lens to be fully weather sealed. As of now the following L lenses are fully weather sealed (except for the front which you must add a filter to complete sealing):
Canon EF 14 mm 2.8L II USM
Canon EF 24 mm F1.4L II USM
Canon EF 50 mm F1.2L USM
Canon EF 16 - 35 mm F2.8L I & II USM
Canon EF 17 - 40 mm F4.0L USM
Canon EF 24 - 70 mm F2.8L USM
Canon EF 24 - 105 mm F4.0L IS USM
Canon EF 28 - 300 mm F3.5 - 5.6L IS USM
Canon EF 70 - 200 mm F2.8L IS USM
Canon EF 70 - 200 mm F4.0L IS USM
Canon EF 200 mm F2L IS USM
Canon EF 300 mm F2.8L IS USM
Canon EF 400 mm F2.8L IS USM
Canon EF 400 mm F4.0 DO IS USM
Canon EF 500 mm F4.0L IS USM
Canon EF 600 mm F4.0L IS USM
Canon EF 800 mm F5.6L IS USM
Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
Canon Extender EF 2.0x II

Drew

#17 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1489 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:07 AM

Just a quick overlap of both cameras rear controls is enough to tell me this baby is a totally different size layout. way too much for a conversion such as the D200/D300, Our Camera is ordered already and we are going to get to it the moment its in. I can tell you it will be machined from solid and have a port lock mechanism (all our new housing will feature that). Good timing for once, we are basically all done with the D700 design and just about ready to go in production. its a luxury to be able to concentrate on one design these days.

Attached Images

• 5d_overlap.jpg

Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#18 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:24 AM

Just a quick overlap of both cameras rear controls is enough to tell me this baby is a totally different size layout. way too much for a conversion such as the D200/D300, Our Camera is ordered already and we are going to get to it the moment its in. I can tell you it will be machined from solid and have a port lock mechanism (all our new housing will feature that). Good timing for once, we are basically all done with the D700 design and just about ready to go in production. its a luxury to be able to concentrate on one design these days.

Do not forget a flip red filter for this, it does video. Guess the filter would be part of the ports? :uwphotog: :)

#19 Cornforth Images

Cornforth Images

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:39 AM

I'm a bit bummed that they are only upping it to 3.9fps and that they are not upgrading the auto-focus. I'm sure next year at this time I will have one in a housing (hopefully just a new Ikelite back for my current housings?), but I was hoping for a camera with a higher fps but less MP for also shooting topside wildlife. I guess I'll have to start looking more at the D50 for use with my longer lenses. I would have also like to have seen more weather sealing. I shoot a lot in the rain in places like SE Alaska all day. My 5D with a rain cover has handled 8+ hours of almost constant rain, but I had a friend's 40D stop working at around 5 hours that day. Always compromises.
Jon Cornforth
Seattle, WA, USA
www.cornforthimages.com

Canon 5D, Ikelite housing, 17-40mm f4 & 100mm f2.8 macro lenses, UCS arms, Ikelite DS 160 & DS 51 strobes

#20 aboshoff

aboshoff

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:4x4

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:26 AM

I hope it doesn't suffer the same AF problems as the MARKIII !!!! :uwphotog: