• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Etc

Etc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:31 AM

Quite a few DSLR, SLR and compact cameras get really good quality footage. In fact there are experienced videographers who buy them with no intention of taking a single still picture. These cameras can perform a manual WB at almost any depth, on ambient light, without need any red filter.
In the other hand almost any advanced user camcorder housing comes with its built-in flipping filter. Proper MWB is supposed to be achieved from a certain depth (light is heavily filtered) by using the red filter....
Could anyone explain me this paradox????
Do the sensors of all the manufacturers of sill cameras have something in common that make them so different to the ones in the camcorders?
Maybe is a mistake no using red filters in still cameras if you want the best results?
Or maybe the flipping filter is an item inherited from past needs that are beginning to loose their point since the new camcorders can achieve MWB with on red filters?... can they?

#2 kulupa

kulupa

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 06:36 AM

I know of many DSLR/mirrorless cameras that will not white balance well without a filter (although canon DSLRs do an excellent job with MWB). Canon camcorders do a great job. Sony camcorders do not. I don't think its a camcorder vs. dslr issue as much as it is a color science of the manufacturer. I think the reason camcorders have built in flip filters is because they are fixed lens vs. SLR in which having a one size fits all solution is impossible.

#3 Etc

Etc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:59 PM

I know of many DSLR/mirrorless cameras that will not white balance well without a filter (although canon DSLRs do an excellent job with MWB). Canon camcorders do a great job. Sony camcorders do not. I don't think its a camcorder vs. dslr issue as much as it is a color science of the manufacturer. I think the reason camcorders have built in flip filters is because they are fixed lens vs. SLR in which having a one size fits all solution is impossible.

Interesting. It makes sense. Although I haven't heard about WB issues in mirrorless or DSLR cameras. In fact I'm having problems to find information about WB capabilities of the different cameras I could be interested in. 

#4 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Eagle Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 307 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:44 PM

My wife has a 4K sony AX-100 that white balances very well down to 60-70 feet depending on the light and water clarity. Her previous Sony's I agree were not so good, poor dynamic range and awful WB.

Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#5 Etc

Etc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:25 PM

My wife has a 4K sony AX-100 that white balances very well down to 60-70 feet depending on the light and water clarity. Her previous Sony's I agree were not so good, poor dynamic range and awful WB.

Really?. Well It might depend on the density of the red filter she's got in her housing.
Could you tell me what housing is she using?. Could you tell me what kind of message does the camera displays when not able to WB?
Thnks

#6 Etc

Etc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:56 PM

sorry...

I don't know how to delete a post when wrong publishing!!!

Edited by Etc, 05 October 2015 - 09:57 PM.

#7 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Eagle Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 307 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:18 AM

She has a very awesome Gates housing, best balanced housing she has had. It does have a flip down filter inside. It gives warning, unable to WB. But she has found if you can WB at 60 feet that it's good much deeper then that.

Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#8 Etc

Etc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:25 PM

Ok. thanks a lot for the info.