• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 balexandrescu

balexandrescu

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:00 PM

I've used the Nauticam to Inon sync cords in the past, but I'm wondering whether something less expensive would offer similar quality/reliability. Has anyone had experience (positive or negative) about the Howshot fiber optic sync cords? They are about 1/2 the price of the Nauticam option.  

#2 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:10 AM

No experience with those, but have used INON cables purchased in Japan which are a lot cheaper.  I bought them  from www.uwdigitalcamera.com service was reliable, though sometimes a little slow to respond to emails.  items were sent by Japan post which was quite fast to Australia. 

#3 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 1858 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:13 AM

I've used the Nauticam to Inon sync cords in the past, but I'm wondering whether something less expensive would offer similar quality/reliability. Has anyone had experience (positive or negative) about the Howshot fiber optic sync cords? They are about 1/2 the price of the Nauticam option.  

Have you tried making them? This was discussed a couple of years ago and might be worth a search. You can buy the various component parts and the fibre cable. I've not tried it but it sounded simple...... 

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE - Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#4 Draq

Draq

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:17 AM

I had not seen your question and have just posted the same question in the lights forum.  I haven't received any responses.  I did notice the Howshot cords are multi-strand. and that is usually desirable, but that is all I know.  I have always used the nauticam cables but wanted to pickup another backup cable and the savings are appealing if these work well.

#5 balexandrescu

balexandrescu

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:44 AM

I had not seen your question and have just posted the same question in the lights forum.  I haven't received any responses.  I did notice the Howshot cords are multi-strand. and that is usually desirable, but that is all I know.  I have always used the nauticam cables but wanted to pickup another backup cable and the savings are appealing if these work well.

Hi Draq, 

I just sent out an email query to UWdigitalcamera.com about their Inon branded fiberoptic cables. The description states that the cables are made in Japan and according to my conversion of Japanese Yen to the dollar they are comparable in price to the Howshot ones and the 10Bar ones. I'll let you know what they say as soon as I hear. 

Thus far I've usually shot manual, but I'm going to be trying out this new TTL system with my Olympus and the manufacturer recommended high quality multicore cables for the best results with TTL, so that's why I'm paying more attention to the specifics of these cables. 

Bogdan

#6 balexandrescu

balexandrescu

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:51 AM

Have you tried making them? This was discussed a couple of years ago and might be worth a search. You can buy the various component parts and the fibre cable. I've not tried it but it sounded simple...... 

Hi TimG, 

Yeah, I've given that some thought but I learned from an engineer friend of mine who made his own and then went on a liveaboard trip to the Galapagos only to be struggling with inconsistent results the whole time. The trouble is that when you go somewhere for a week or two of diving, you value consistency. Were I to live in Florida let's say and dive whenever I wanted to I'd probably make my own and enjoy the challenge of perfecting them. But I'm hoping this is one less thing to worry about. 

Bogdan

#7 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 1858 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:52 AM

Fair enough Bogdan!

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE - Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957