6 replies to this topic

#1 mr.reznovich

mr.reznovich

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:50 AM

Hi everyone,

Kinda re-opening someone else's topic from a few months ago with a problem that wasn't solved....

I’m experiencing some issues with my new Sea&Sea YS-D2 strobe (had it for 2 weeks and done about 25 dives with it), it used to work just fine till yesterday…. 

It seems that the strobe and the camera are not sync anymore... when I take photos on DS-TTL or Manual they are either completely dark/black, if I switch to Manual with pre-flash they are the opposite: completely white/super overexposed. Please note the strobe fires.

I am not on "Slave TTL" (dark blue light) but on DS-TTL (light blue light). I also reset my G7X II to factory default settings . Also tried using a different G7X II and have the same issue.

When I try the camera alone it works just fine. I checked that my eneloop batteries were fully charged and I also tried to connect my housing and camera to a customers YS-D2 and it worked fine. Also tried to change fiber optic cable.  There’s definitely something wrong with the strobe, it’s not the camera or the fiber optic cable.

The strobe fires everytime I take a picture! It looks to me that the timing is not right for some reason….

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Cheers guys!

Edited by mr.reznovich, 26 September 2017 - 04:51 AM.

#2 maelstrom

maelstrom

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Diving, cycling, photography

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:33 PM

What is your shutter speed?  Strobes will not synch if it is too fast.  Maybe, try it on another camera/housing if you can get access to one.

On the other hand, this is a very problematic strobe model.  If you become certain the strobe is the issue, I suggest you aggressively seek to have it replaced, not sent off to Japan for 6 months to get repaired.

#3 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2135 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:58 PM

It is hard to be certain from the information you have provided.

The most likely cause is that the camera settings and those of the strobe are not in sync. If the strobe is firing, it is unlikely to be a strobe fault (even with the YS-D2's poor reputation.)

Are you syncing electrically or with fiber optic?

If TTL is selected (on the camera), it fires a preflash, measures what light returns and then uses this to evaluate how much flash to apply. 

Hence you strobe is expecting two flashes....a smaller preflash and then the main flash. It will attempt to mimic the output of the camera's flash (or electrical signal depending on triggering method.)

If Manual flash control is selected on the camera, and the strobe is set to Manual, it will not expect any pre flashes and will fire whatever amount of flash you select when the camera flashes.

A common problem is if the strobe is on manual and the camera is set to TTL. The strobe will fire on the first pre flash and will hence be out of sync with the shutter release.

As far as I know, the issues with YS-D2s have all been to do with flash tubes burning out or front compartment floods. 

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#4 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Macro, big critters, coral reefs, kelp, I love it all!

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:28 AM

On one dive, I had the same "timing" problem as you are describing, when shooting fiber optic TTL.  When I checked the strobe after the dive I discovered that the strobe mode dial had been knocked to manual mode.  Thus, it fired with the pre-flash and not the main flash.   That might be why your pictures are unlit by the strobe in TTL mode.  

The overexposure in manual sounds like you just need to manually dial down the strobe output or set a smaller aperture or lower iSO on the camera.  The strobe itself is obviously syncing fine.

#5 Flo

Flo

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:41 AM

I use 2  YSD2 : Strobes need very good optic fiber to work well ( I dived one month with a wrong fiber, it was very hard to have light ! )

I had this kind of trouble when I changed for new firmware :  Camera changed  set up !!

#6 jayclue

jayclue

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:19 AM

Hi! I was wondering if you found a solution to this? I'm having the exact same issue with the exact same camera (G7x Mii) and strobe (YS-D2). 

In TTL mode the strobe fires out of sync. In manual mode (orange) it fires correctly. I tried the strobe on a different camera in TTL (canon S110) and it works fine.

As for settings, Im testing at ISO 125, F5.6, 1/125 shutter. Strobe in TTL mode (light blue) with EV comp set at 0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I spoke to the camera shop and they couldn't figure it out either and want me to send it in. Trying too avoid it because I live in Cabo San Lucas so will be a mission to get it back to the US and then back to me.

Thanks in advance! 

#7 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

Most likely cause for dark pics is your camera is in TTL firing a pre flash and the flash is in manual.  I had it happen once took a while to figure it out.  The other possibility is you might have red eye reduction turned on, some cameras fire a few pulses to get the pupil to stop down or the AF illuminator could trigger the flash.  The issue is the strobe fires each time it sees a pre flash and by the time the main flash comes around the capacitor is drained. 

What mode are you using on the camera is it in manual mode?  I don't know about the G7X-II and the manual is not clear on this, but Canon compacts switch to manual flash when the camera is in manual mode this means no pre flash.  If the the YS-D2 is expecting a pre flash in DS-TTL and it doesn't get one the flash won't fire during the exposure.  Check what flash mode you are shooting in.  If it's manual that could be the cause.  Switch it to auto and try it out.

The thing to remember is that the camera knows nothing about the external flash and attempts to take a photo as it always does.