12 replies to this topic

#1 JohnJDS

JohnJDS

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:53 PM

Hello! 

As the title says, I'm looking to purchase any kind of housing for my old Panasonic GH2 camera, preferably with a port or two, specifically one for the 8mm fisheye lens.

I believe the Nauticam NA-GH2 was a popular housing for this camera.  I'm hoping someone still has an old one collecting dust and can help me explore further into underwater video than my GoPros.

Fingers crossed.  Any info or point in a helpful direction is appreciated.

#2 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:18 PM

Hi John.

I use the NA-GH2, and love it. I'm not ready to sell mine just yet, but I'm thinking about upgrading sometime next year. (The problem I have is that I can't quite justify the expense of the GH4 + housing, when my current GH2 is perfectly good, and does 95% of what the GH4 can anyway!) So if you're still looking next year, feel free to hit me up - it might just be the incentive I need to upgrade!  :lol:

Also, don't just go with "any kind of housing"... Make sure it's a good quality brand like Nauticam.

#3 ScubaBob

ScubaBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:03 PM

PM sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Videos on Vimeo | YouTube
Panasonic DMC-GH4 | Nauticam NA-GH4 Housing
Light & Motion Sola 4000 Video Lights
Lumix 7-14mm / Oly 12-50mm / Oly 60mm Macro / SubSee +10

#4 JohnJDS

JohnJDS

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:51 AM

UPDATE: Found Housing!  Now looking for: port for 8mm fisheye.

QUESTION: I also have the kit 14-42 lens that came with the GH2.  Is there any port that fits both the 8mm fisheye and the 14-42?  The 3.5" port perhaps?  I've been reading old threads online to try to figure this out, but there's a lot of information.  Thanks, any advice appreciated! 

I'm trying to be economically responsible and use what I already have as much as possible here.  If there is a port that could accommodate both those lenses (even if not ideal for either), I feel like I'd like to start there.  However, if people advise that (as a beginner) I'd be fine with just the 8mm and its most appropriate port, then that's helpful info also.  Thanks!

--------------------------------------

Hi John.

I use the NA-GH2, and love it. I'm not ready to sell mine just yet, but I'm thinking about upgrading sometime next year. (The problem I have is that I can't quite justify the expense of the GH4 + housing, when my current GH2 is perfectly good, and does 95% of what the GH4 can anyway!) So if you're still looking next year, feel free to hit me up - it might just be the incentive I need to upgrade!  :lol:

Also, don't just go with "any kind of housing"... Make sure it's a good quality brand like Nauticam.

This is encouraging.  I've enjoyed my GH2 on land for years, so it's nice to see it has been an enthusiast model in the water as well.  I hope mine will enjoy a second life underwater now.  When I decided to see if there was a housing option for my existing camera, I was happy to find this apparently well supported Nauticam system.  It reaffirmed how great of a buy this old camera was.  Panasonic seems to have done a great job with this line.

#5 makar0n

makar0n

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:23 PM

UPDATE: Found Housing!  Now looking for: port for 8mm fisheye.

QUESTION: I also have the kit 14-42 lens that came with the GH2.  Is there any port that fits both the 8mm fisheye and the 14-42?  The 3.5" port perhaps?  I've been reading old threads online to try to figure this out, but there's a lot of information.  Thanks, any advice appreciated! 

(...)

Congrats! GH2 is a really great camera underwater, using it myself :)

As for your question - I don't think you will be able to fit both lenses. Just tried to fit 14-42 II (note it is much smaller than the original 14-42) into 4.33" port (dedicated for 8mm - Nauticam 36132) and it barely fits, pretty much pushing against the glass. No way you could use zoom. You could fit 8mm into the original 14-42 port (Flat port 72 - Nauticam 36121) but it will not really work...as its super wide angle will get you mostly port walls on the pic :S

Is there any reason  you want 8mm ? If I might suggest perhaps go with a 6" port (Nauticam 36133) - this way you can fit there two lenses Panasonic 7-14 wide angle and Panasonic 12-35 wide-standard. Both are excellent lenses...since I've got the 12-35 it's my absolute favourite for normal and night dives as it is very versatile. Note that Panasonic might release what can be a potential replacement for this one....12-60 f2.8 sometime in 2017 but dunno..not much info yet apart from some GH5 shots with it mounted. Same for the next wide angle 8-18...but then that will (and have already!) bring the original prices down :)

Good luck!

Edited by makar0n, 21 November 2016 - 01:50 PM.

#6 JohnJDS

JohnJDS

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:52 PM

Congrats! GH2 is a really great camera underwater, using it myself :)

As for your question - I don't think you will be able to fit both lenses. Just tried to fit 14-42 II (note it is much smaller than the original 14-42) into 4.33" port (Nauticam 36132) and it barely fits, pretty much pushing against the glass. No way you could use zoom. Is there any reason  you want 8mm ? If I might suggest perhaps go with a 6" port (Nauticam 36133) - this way you can fit there two lenses Panasonic 7-14 wide angle and Panasonic 12-35 wide-standard. Both are excellent lenses...since I've got the 12-35 it's my absolute favourite for normal and night dives as it is very versatile. Note that Panasonic might release what can be a potential replacement for this one....12-60 sometime in 2017 but dunno..not much info yet apart from some GH5 shots with it mounted. Same for the next wide angle 8-18...but then that will (and have already!) bring the original prices down :)

Good luck!

The reason I want 8mm is that's the lens I own.

While I'm a video hobbyist, I've only recently began experimenting with underwater video using simple GoPro cameras.  The thought occurred to me that I could perhaps leverage some gear I already own and improve what I can currently capture underwater.  Since I own the GH2 with the 8mm lens, I started searching there first. 

It seemed to me that the most minimal entry cost to get me further than I am right now is finding a housing and port for that pair.  Anything else would involve purchasing new gear.  That may be fine for the future, since this housing/cam/ports seem well supported, but I'm drawing a line at "equipment for existing gear" for this stage.

Knowing that, would you say I'm on a reasonable path or not?  Would money spent on a port for the 8mm be a waste?  IE: is the performance so terrible that I'm better off with a GoPro and the 8mm port money would be better put towards a better lens and port (6" + 12-35)?

**EDIT: I imagine other lenses and ports would be something I would graduate to eventually.  I'm really asking if the 8mm is a viable, entry level lens for the meantime (and a gut check on spending a few hundred bucks on a dome for it).

Edited by JohnJDS, 21 November 2016 - 12:59 PM.

#7 makar0n

makar0n

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:08 PM

While I'm a video hobbyist, I've only recently began experimenting with underwater video using simple GoPro cameras

Assume you are using hacked firmware? GH2 can easily go almost 200 mbit/s with the right SD card.

(...) That may be fine for the future, since this housing/cam/ports seem well supported, but I'm drawing a line at "equipment for existing gear" for this stage.

Word of warning....we have all been at this stage and have failed miserably... it always starts like this  :D :D :D

Knowing that, would you say I'm on a reasonable path or not?  Would money spent on a port for the 8mm be a waste?  IE: is the performance so terrible that I'm better off with a GoPro and the 8mm port money would be better put towards a better lens and port (6" + 12-35)?

8mm is an excellent lens. Guess it's more what tickles your fancy - I for example mostly shoot macro/standard with occasional wide ...fisheye gets used about twice a year...in fact I wonder why I even bother carrying it but I guess I still hope for that Moby Dick swimming by ;) I am more into photo though so perhaps some video person could advise you better - think ScubaBob is rather serious on the matter. Check with him what else is he using apart from 7-14 perhaps. Or just nudge some guys in the Video and Film section.

Edited by makar0n, 21 November 2016 - 02:09 PM.

#8 JohnJDS

JohnJDS

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 04:02 PM

Assume you are using hacked firmware? GH2 can easily go almost 200 mbit/s with the right SD card.

Word of warning....we have all been at this stage and have failed miserably... it always starts like this  :D :D :D

Never got around to trying the hacked firmware yet.  Early on I was waiting for that to mature, then later I got distracted by GoPros, this camera has been neglected as of late.  Looking forward to checking it out now to see what benefits there might be for underwater.

OH jeez, gear.  Ya, I know.  It's why I'm trying to be very strict about this 'minimal entry' for me right now.

#9 JohnJDS

JohnJDS

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:07 AM

Have the camera housing now, thanks @ScubaBob!

Still looking for your used Nauticam 4.33 inch Dome Port for Panasonic 8mm Fisheye Lens.

Let me know if you can help, thanks for looking!

#10 chrisken

chrisken

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:08 AM

Cannot help with port but I do have a spare 60mm macro and port. the port has never been wet as I just use the 12-50 port . I also have new in box dome for Lumix 7-14.

#11 JohnJDS

JohnJDS

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:34 PM

Cannot help with port but I do have a spare 60mm macro and port. the port has never been wet as I just use the 12-50 port . I also have new in box dome for Lumix 7-14.

Thanks for responding!  Ya, I'm really just looking for a dome port for the lens I have right now.  I know many people like to use the 7-14 and that will likely be my next purchase if I continue with this, but I'm starting with just what I have first so I'm really still just looking for that 4.33" dome.

#12 makar0n

makar0n

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:52 AM

Thanks for responding!  Ya, I'm really just looking for a dome port for the lens I have right now.  I know many people like to use the 7-14 and that will likely be my next purchase if I continue with this, but I'm starting with just what I have first so I'm really still just looking for that 4.33" dome.

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=59098

Looks like somebody is selling :)

#13 JohnJDS

JohnJDS

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 09:55 AM

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=59098

Looks like somebody is selling :)

Thanks so much for thinking of me. Unfortunately the 4.33 dome port was already sold.

So close!

Still looking for a Nauticam 4.33" dome port for the Panasonic 8mm fisheye if anyone is parting with one.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: na-gh2, gh2, housing, 8mm port, wtb