Anyone happy with their TriPod?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 SCUBA Hank

SCUBA Hank

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, Photography, Sailing, Snowboarding, Travel, Red Wine, Cooking

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:27 AM

Hello All,

I am in the market to buy a UW Tripod to help me shoot Macro video. I am just getting started so don't want to make a Rookie mistake...

I am shooting a D7200 in a Nauticam housing with 2 Kraken Hydra lights for now...

Does anyone have any recommendations for UW Tripods? I've considered building one myself but would rather just buy one that's been used and abused by the diving community vs. cobbling together my own...

Any advice?

-Hank

-Scoobz

#2 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:00 AM

I recently bought a used xit404 tripod with 3 legs. Haven't gotten to test it in the water just yet but it seems really sturdy. Check it out :)

#3 ScubaBob

ScubaBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

The xit tripods seem like a great way to go. I almost went that route until I stumbled upon TI1976's DIY design. I replicated that design fairly closely and love the results. 843851624bdf9ad44fd3ee1913b8b1ab.jpg67fe93c78aef8a3563c545a2fe2b896f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Videos on Vimeo | YouTube
Panasonic DMC-GH4 | Nauticam NA-GH4 Housing
Light & Motion Sola 4000 Video Lights
Lumix 7-14mm / Oly 12-50mm / Oly 60mm Macro / SubSee +10

#4 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:13 AM

I tried the ULCS Tripod Clamp method and it's not good because the one point of attachment to the camera rig just way too easy to tip or flop around especially if your camera rig is not neutral.

The Xit404 is a good solution but it's also expensive because you have to choose a plate for your housing, so if you change housing in the future, you most likely won't be able to reuse the tripod plate.

Luckily Zen just came out with a universal tripod, it's a bit pricey, but it's a one time investment. As for leg, you can go all crazy up to using the Inon extendable carbon fiber arm.

This is the one you probably want:

#5 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:29 AM

I've got the XIT404 tripod plate and their legs - If I'm honest - very disappointed in it. Too bulky folded up and not great for macro (for my local diving)

The new telescope arms from INON look good thou.

Previously i used a gorrilapod SLR? which I had fair more practical use out of, but they broke due to salt build up so looking at their more expensive metal based legs.

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#6 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:52 PM

There's a big problem with the Xit404 twist clamps and that Zen tripod base because the ball adapters are pointing in generally the same direction that the legs usually would. This means that when you twist the leg, the clamp can just spin and not tighten because the ball's mount post is not in the way to stop it. You can even see that happen in the video twice (e.g. at 01:49). Just tried it on my Xit404 tripod with the legs pointing straight out in the same direction as the balls. They just spin and don't tighten. Traditional clamps are definitely the way to go with that base in my opinion.

One thing I do on my Xit404 base is actually pan the camera. It's not designed to do that but it works. I can rotate the whole housing around the central screw by pushing with my thumbs. I have a plastic sheet bonded to it (by a cobbler with shoe glue) to make it smoother. You can't do that if you use 2 screws, but it does look like you could use only one with the Zen base.

Also those Inon legs look like they might be floaty, especially if they're sealed and not designed to flood and drain. One thing I like about my Xit404 tripod is the weight. However the Inon legs look a bit longer, which is good. I very often yearn for a few more inches, even at Lembeh and Anilao, where you would imagine everything is low down. It's not, and the Xit404 legs are very often just a bit short. Oh and the Inon telescopic arms are $123.85 EACH.

#7 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:29 AM

There's a big problem with the Xit404 twist clamps and that Zen tripod base because the ball adapters are pointing in generally the same direction that the legs usually would. This means that when you twist the leg, the clamp can just spin and not tighten because the ball's mount post is not in the way to stop it. You can even see that happen in the video twice (e.g. at 01:49). Just tried it on my Xit404 tripod with the legs pointing straight out in the same direction as the balls. They just spin and don't tighten. Traditional clamps are definitely the way to go with that base in my opinion.

One thing I do on my Xit404 base is actually pan the camera. It's not designed to do that but it works. I can rotate the whole housing around the central screw by pushing with my thumbs. I have a plastic sheet bonded to it (by a cobbler with shoe glue) to make it smoother. You can't do that if you use 2 screws, but it does look like you could use only one with the Zen base.

Also those Inon legs look like they might be floaty, especially if they're sealed and not designed to flood and drain. One thing I like about my Xit404 tripod is the weight. However the Inon legs look a bit longer, which is good. I very often yearn for a few more inches, even at Lembeh and Anilao, where you would imagine everything is low down. It's not, and the Xit404 legs are very often just a bit short. Oh and the Inon telescopic arms are $123.85 EACH.

Could u post a few pics or a little video on how u managed the panning? Would be much appreciated!

#8 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:13 AM

Could u post a few pics or a little video on how u managed the panning? Would be much appreciated!

Excuse the foot! Also, I do sometimes do a panning shot, controlling the rotation of the housing with my thumbs. But more often than not I'm just panning to position the camera for a static shot.

#9 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:41 AM

Thanks for demonstrate the twist clamp spinning part, I was having hard time to understand without the video. Traditional clamp is what I would go since I can't afford a twist clamp, I wonder if there is way to 3D print a twist clamp :D

#10 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:35 AM

Neat video nick! Gonna have to pin that for later and set my tripod up just like that. Paning while shooting would probably not be used very much but as u said, much easier to set up static shots. +1!

#11 SCUBA Hank

SCUBA Hank

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, Photography, Sailing, Snowboarding, Travel, Red Wine, Cooking

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

ScubaBob, can you post a picture of the bottom of your camera/tripod from this TI1976 DIY design? I'm intrigued by this idea...

I did a google search for it and no Luck :( 

Thanks, 

-Hank

The xit tripods seem like a great way to go. I almost went that route until I stumbled upon TI1976's DIY design. I replicated that design fairly closely and love the results. 843851624bdf9ad44fd3ee1913b8b1ab.jpg67fe93c78aef8a3563c545a2fe2b896f.jpg

-Scoobz

#12 SCUBA Hank

SCUBA Hank

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

I tried the ULCS Tripod Clamp method and it's not good because the one point of attachment to the camera rig just way too easy to tip or flop around especially if your camera rig is not neutral.

The Xit404 is a good solution but it's also expensive because you have to choose a plate for your housing, so if you change housing in the future, you most likely won't be able to reuse the tripod plate.

Luckily Zen just came out with a universal tripod, it's a bit pricey, but it's a one time investment. As for leg, you can go all crazy up to using the Inon extendable carbon fiber arm.

This is the one you probably want:

Thanks for your post! I hadn't heard of this new ZEN base. I am going to order one I think!

:)

-Scoobz

#13 SWink

SWink

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:50 PM

Nick

Thank for your post - I thought I was the only one having that issue with tightening the XIT legs but it seems that's just the way they work.

Also I've been using the pan method as you describe for some time now just with the plastic supplied with the base and find that it works well mostlly when a subject moves and you don't want to dick around adjusting the legs.

Steve

Edited by SWink, 22 April 2017 - 10:51 PM.

My Video: Panasonic GH4, Nauticam Housing, 7-14mm, 12-35mm, 45mm & Olypmus 14-42mm. Archon W42VR x 2, Inon LF800-N
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube..../SteveWinkworth

#14 ScubaBob

ScubaBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 10:40 AM

ScubaBob, can you post a picture of the bottom of your camera/tripod from this TI1976 DIY design? I'm intrigued by this idea...
I did a google search for it and no Luck :( 

Thanks, 

-Hank

Sure thing, see below. Here's a link to the video:
https://youtu.be/gQcCVObWaxc

And BLOG entry:
http://www.ti-leidla...erwater-housing

df646a7817eb9c846fb9bc5fc02f55bc.jpg

#15 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:22 PM

Nick

Thank for your post - I thought I was the only one having that issue with tightening the XIT legs but it seems that's just the way they work.

Also I've been using the pan method as you describe for some time now just with the plastic supplied with the base and find that it works well mostlly when a subject moves and you don't want to dick around adjusting the legs.

Steve

I'd totally forgotten about that plastic they supplied. I think mine got ripped up and became unstuck very quickly. Don't think it lasted more than 1 trip. By the way the plastic bonded to mine is just cut out of the cover of a folder from a stationery shop.

#16 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:30 AM

Follow up question; u guys bring your tripod when going down with a wide angle lens or is it straight macro for yall?

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

#17 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

Follow up question; u guys bring your tripod when going down with a wide angle lens or is it straight macro for yall?

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

I have and haven't taken it. If you want lengthy, rock-stable shots for example for stock footage or aquarium/relaxation-style videos then a tripod helps a lot even with a very wide lens. But if you want to be mobile for tracking shots etc. you might want to do without it. Having said that, a rig with a lot of inertia can help smooth out moving shots, and a tripod can play a part in that. The trade off is having to swim harder to push it along. Also, weight at the bottom (tripod) offset by floatation at the top can help your rig's trim by keeping it upright. It's possible to over-do that though, making it difficult to point the rig at other angles.

#18 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:21 AM

I have and haven't taken it. If you want lengthy, rock-stable shots for example for stock footage or aquarium/relaxation-style videos then a tripod helps a lot even with a very wide lens. But if you want to be mobile for tracking shots etc. you might want to do without it. Having said that, a rig with a lot of inertia can help smooth out moving shots, and a tripod can play a part in that. The trade off is having to swim harder to push it along. Also, weight at the bottom (tripod) offset by floatation at the top can help your rig's trim by keeping it upright. It's possible to over-do that though, making it difficult to point the rig at other angles.

Agreed. Was more of a general question to see if people were using it for wa or not, generally curious :)

#19 ScubaBob

ScubaBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:11 AM

I've generally not taken my old tripod setup when I've shot wide (7-14mm On M43), only when I'm shooting macro (60mm) or with my general purpose (12-50mm) lens. I plan to start using my new tripod/quatri-pod setup on every dive now. The telescoping legs are more attractive for this as well..

#20 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:46 AM

If your set up is not too heavy under water, There is a pretty good and cheap solution, look up "Pakpod"  http://pakpod.com/

I have one but haven't use it yet. The build quality is quite good, definitely much better than a Gorilla pod. The Pakpod is designed for UW use so nothing would rust.