• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GeoPaul7

GeoPaul7

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:11 AM

Does anyone have experience with the new Canon Powershot G7 X Mark II  ?  I see that Nauticam has a new housing for it.  I am considering this camera as a compact solution for ambient light photography.  Canon has superior white balance to my new Sony mirrorless, and this camera allows a custom white balance with one operation, rather than the 4 my Sony necessitates.

Anyone out there with experience?

Many thanks. 

George Paul

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1630 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:53 AM

Ambient light photography with a 1" sensor is a bit of a challenge and in any case you can shoot raw so white balance is done in post. Canon compacts except G series have extremely limited battery life and the G7 X port system is not a cheap entry

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#3 GeoPaul7

GeoPaul7

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:24 AM

Thanks Giant Squid.  Yes you really do lose things when you go down to a compact.  The white balance issues can be corrected in RAW, for stills, but I may need better performance for video.  I currently have a Sony a7s II, and just returned from a trip, and got some better results on white balance this time.  I have a separate thread on that. 

GLP

#4 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1630 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 09:26 AM

Canon is not good for video. I have used canon, sony and panasonic. Sony works well with filters white balance is terrible. Panasonic is probably the best compromise between quality flexibility and cost but you need a mirrorless

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: canon, white balance, point and shoot G7 x Mark II