• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nand

nand

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:34 AM

Hello all, new member here. I've not been diving long, did my PADI OW and AOW in Malta (island in the Mediterranean) and got back into diving last October in Scotland (home). I bought a SeaLife DC310 from eBay which got me hooked on U/W photography though my photos were of variable quality (for a long time I didn't realise that the camera was fixed focus). I recently bought a SeaLife SL960 Strobe for use with the camera though I've only taken a handful of photos in that combination. Instead of spending more money on the old DC310 I've gone and bought a Fuji F31fd and an underwater housing for it. Looking forward to playing with it at the weekend if it arrives in time. I intend to set the Fuji up with the SL960 strobe, if that combination isn't much good then the DC310 and strobe will find themselves on eBay or in the hands of a club-member.

So, I was hoping that I could have some feedback on my previous photos and perhaps shed some light on where I had gone wrong in the past so I can get a running start with the new camera.

On to some of my better photos (you're more than welcome to visit my flickr profile to see the whole lot):

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by nand, 09 July 2007 - 07:36 AM.

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:44 AM

Welcome to Wetpixel.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:45 AM

HI,
welcome you will find many people on this forum/ Website with lots of
experience to help you get the most from your photography.
Andy :) :) :P

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms

#4 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:44 PM

Hello Nand,
Welcome to the Wetpixel Liveaboard. There are some excellent pros and amateur photographers on this sight who have gone through the evolution of cameras. I would recommend doing a search on the strobes. I think you'll find there are plenty of low end strobes suited for your camera selection. Additionally, I think that you'll read that the SL960 is not suited for digital; however, I've seen these rigs sell for a nice sum on Ebay.
Cheers,
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#5 nand

nand

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 10:38 PM

Thanks ce4jesus, I guess I'll just use the F31 without the strobe to start with, to save any complications, problem is I was getting a lot of scatter in my shots when I was using the internal flash on the DC310 which I expect will be the same for the F31.

#6 nand

nand

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:07 AM

First dive with Fuji F31fd last night and although I didn't find the wrecks (poor vis and it looks like some builders removed our reference markers) I did get some decent photos. Below is my favourite, please visit http://www.flickr.com/photos/nand for more.

Posted Image

I'd also appreciate any thoughts on what kind of starfish this is.
EDIT: Someone on another forum suggested Ophiura ophiura (no common name).

Edited by nand, 13 July 2007 - 12:23 AM.

#7 CADiver

CADiver

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:潛水, 吃喝玩樂 !

Posted 29 July 2007 - 01:33 AM

Thanks ce4jesus, I guess I'll just use the F31 without the strobe to start with, to save any complications, problem is I was getting a lot of scatter in my shots when I was using the internal flash on the DC310 which I expect will be the same for the F31.

Hi Nand,

I saw you pictures on Flickr too, they are very nice consider if it only use w/ the internal flash or other people pointing lights. To proper expose subject, u do want to have a decent strobe. On land when u see some one flashes a flash light, u see how 'blind' that could be. In underwater because the density of liquid, the strobe power is usually much much more powerful in order to travel liquid to reach the subject. So while you have a great camera, F31d is really really good espeically for high iso like 800, it's ok to invest a mean strobe like an Inon 2000, Sea&SeaYS90, IkeliteDS51. They are entry level's good strobe and totally expandable when u move to other camears. WHile it's expensive, but worth the investment especially when u dive frequently.
Dominic
Flickr: CADiver
Blog:
Nikon D90, Tokina 10-17, Nikkor 60, 105VR, Nexus, Inon Z240 IV, Hartenberger Nano, FixLED 1000DX.

#8 andycornish

andycornish

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:38 AM

I know this is an old thread but needed to find somewhere to introduce myself as not managed to find an 'official' intro page.

Im 21 and from cornwall :) and studying at Cardiff Uni (the proper one) and been into scuba and freediving for a few years now and only this year started to get into the photography and I will admit that I am hooked !

I have a GoPro Hero HD which is I use for freediving and when taking in less experienced divers and for filming and then a FujiFilm F80EXR in a Canon Housing which my parents bought for holidays (but of which I use a lot more), the fuji has a srobe as well which im looking forward to trying for the first time next weekend

Cheers

Andy

#9 vandyk

vandyk

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:17 AM

Hi nand, apology for hijacking your post again.

Similar to Andy's experience, i had the same problem when i was trying to make my first post on the "official" intro page.

Anyway, back to my introduction. I'm from Singapore and have been interested in underwater photography since my openwater course. Nowadays, i never leave for a dive trip without my camera. Underwater photography is like a addiction for me. Hope to learn more from all of you in this forum.

Cheers

#10 P.N.N

P.N.N

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:15 AM

hello

#11 deanie08

deanie08

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:14 AM

Wow! Cool. I'm really eager to try underwater photography. My friends were so involved in this craft and I want to join them. But before that, I would like to learn more before diving in. It is nice to read and learn here in the forum. I'm learning a lot.

Newborn Photography is my focus and wants to explore more.

#12 kepowell

kepowell

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:00 PM

hi hi