• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pmindesign

pmindesign

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:42 AM

Right now I'm trying to choose a new laptop. I'm an underwater photographer.

The main use of the laptop is during photography trips, for that i need very good battery time, lightweight and true color monitor.

In my travel i use photoshop, lightroom, premiere. I can work with windows or OS X, despite being more dependent on OS X right now....iphone, imac and macbook pro...automatic synchronise of contacts, emails, photos, etc.

In your opinion what is the best option for a budget of 3000USD?

thanks for your help.

#2 Darrenwillis

Darrenwillis

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:36 PM

I have just replaced a macbook air with a Microsoft surface pro which in my opinion leaves the Mac way behind. It is light  with a detachable keyboard  which then puts the laptop into tablet mode and reportedly a 13 hr battery lfe. Screen quality is superb and a pen allows for fine editing and photo manipulation. OS is Windows 10 and running Lightroom 6. No issues with performance / speed. There are quite a few versions in the Surface Pro range so a few to choose from.

#3 pmindesign

pmindesign

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:15 AM

I have just replaced a macbook air with a Microsoft surface pro which in my opinion leaves the Mac way behind. It is light  with a detachable keyboard  which then puts the laptop into tablet mode and reportedly a 13 hr battery lfe. Screen quality is superb and a pen allows for fine editing and photo manipulation. OS is Windows 10 and running Lightroom 6. No issues with performance / speed. There are quite a few versions in the Surface Pro range so a few to choose from.

I reduced my list of options to the following models:
Dell XPS 13
Lenovo Yoga 920
Surface Book 2
What's your opinion on these?

#4 betti154

betti154

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 01:17 PM

Xps 13 4K is great except every now and then wifi needs to be reset. Seems to have a bug there.

Screen is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damien Siviero
Canon 5Dmkiv, Nauticam
http://damiensiviero.com

#5 TaxiDiver14

TaxiDiver14

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:01 AM

Have Dell xps 9360 for video editing...

#6 davehicks

davehicks

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:53 PM

I'll put in my vote for the Surface Book2 15" model.  I've used this on a number of photo expeditions and love it.  There are a couple of things about this device that none of the other options offer:

1) Best screen on the market at nearly 4K and a 3:2 aspect ratio at 15 inches.  This means it is taller than the 16:9 in most laptops.  This is Ideal for Lightroom and photoshop

2) Built in full SD-Card reader.  No need for dongles and external card readers if you shoot on SD Cards, which is pretty common.

3) The CPU is in the screen which means the keyboard and base remain very cool and comfortable to use under heavy workloads.  (Try holding a MacBookPro on your lap during a Lightroom batch export or Video render.  HOT!)

Not unique, but Nvidia 1060 GPU and 4-Core I7 CPU with NVMe SSD make it super fast.

You can get a top spec SB2 as above for $2500.  

Edited by davehicks, 30 July 2018 - 05:53 PM.

davehicks@hotmail.com

#7 pmindesign

pmindesign

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:50 AM

I just ordered the Surface Book 2 13 "i7 16Gb Ram 512Gb ... I did not choose the 15" because it will be used in travel. For more demanding jobs I have the imac and the pc at home

#8 amb688

amb688

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:17 AM

Other than the price tag, I can't complain about my 2017 Macbook Pro. Good if you're into video editing also otherwise it's overkill.

#9 LyleORoss

LyleORoss

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:56 PM

I just bought a Lenovo.  The reason I mention this is that I semi-turfed my Mac Airbook in a beach landing in Costa Rica.  The crew semi-doused my computer bag,  I know, should have carried it myself.  The Airbook worked okay in the States, but every time I went to a tropical location, it would get cranky, often refusing to boot up.  On my last trip it wouldn't boot at all, and the new battery, I just installed, quit working when I came back.  Enough.  I researched tough books, laptops that are hardened to resist water, dropping etc.   The problem is that they are very expensive, for my budget,  They start at $3,500 and go up, but they are essentially military grade.  Lenovo has a compromise computer that is hardened, but not as much as the tough books.  It can take a significant drop and some light water.  So far I'm happy with it, but I'm not video editing. 

It is a thinkpad 11e.

Edited by LyleORoss, 07 September 2018 - 07:57 PM.

#10 LyleORoss

LyleORoss

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:02 PM

BTW - here is an article where I found the thinkpad, as a reference.

https://www.techrada...-rugged-laptops

Note that the prices are not accurate, they are for used versions.  You can find articles on buying used toughbooks. 

#11 gdiver25

gdiver25

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 03:42 PM

I reduced my list of options to the following models:
Dell XPS 13
Lenovo Yoga 920
Surface Book 2
What's your opinion on these?

I had the Lenovo Yoga and loved it. Switched to the Dell XPS 13 and it performs well but the battery is crap compared to the Lenovo.

#12 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:02 PM

Just be aware when choosing your laptop that a high res screen makes pre-CC versions of photoshop pretty much unusable as the fonts for the menus and the tool icons are not scalable.  I still use CS6 (no plans to ever get onboard the subscription wagon) and that is only usable on lower res screens.  Not sure what the situation is with Lightroom.

#13 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 02:45 AM

The new Gen8 i5 and i7's look very good these days.

I have the  2017 13" i7 Touchbar MacBookPro with 16GB of RAM - very happy with it - but the newer ones sure look more speedy with twice the cores

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#14 lateralus821

lateralus821

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:30 AM

Macbook Air is the way to go. I work with the full adobe suite and my MA is perfect for travel. The only downfall is the limited storage space so worst case scenario just grab an external SSD and you're all set.

#15 Daniel M. Brown

Daniel M. Brown

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:03 PM

Thanks for your suggestions!