• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lwang0622

lwang0622

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 02:43 AM

Just took my first underwater lesson and was curious as to which blue background most people prefer or is it just personal preference, I also took another shot but it's a lighter blue but cant figure out how to post both for comparison. This is the darker blue

Attached Images

• DSC01862.JPG

Edited by lwang0622, 05 June 2018 - 02:51 AM.

#2 Fruitographer

Fruitographer

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

Just make another post and attach both photos. Under more reply options you can choose a photo and then attach it. Do that for both images and they should both be displayed. Personally I prefer dark but that's just me, especially if you have a lit foreground. You can also bring the luminance down for blue in post as well, although it's always better to get it right from camera. There's a lot of blue negative space though in the top of this image and if you cropped out half the distance from the top to the tip of the orange coral it should feel more balanced. 

#3 lwang0622

lwang0622

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:21 PM

Here is the 2nd post, but I agree with the negative space. I think the point of the exercise was to try and play with the blues... and you are right I could post edit but like you said I would like to learn how to get it right in the camera. Thank you for your critique and tips.

Attached Images

• DSC01860.JPG

#4 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2227 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:33 PM

Hey!

I vote for the fist one with the darker, richer blues. For me the lighter blues are beginning to look over-exposed whereas the darker ones create a nicely moody, underwater feel. But these are very personal, subjective decisions.

Small suggestion for the future - a diver well into the background? It would create a really nice scene and give it even more context.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#5 lwang0622

lwang0622

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:59 AM

[quote name="TimG" post="396129" timestamp="1528356826"]Hey!

I vote for the fist one with the darker, richer blues. For me the lighter blues are beginning to look over-exposed whereas the darker ones create a nicely moody, underwater feel. But these are very personal, subjective decisions.

Small suggestion for the future - a diver well into the background? It would create a really nice scene and give it even more context.[/quo

Awesome thanks for the critique and suggestion!

#6 Fruitographer

Fruitographer

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:53 AM

I took a class with Cathy Church and she recommended a -0.7 EV to get the blues right