Winter musings

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:29 AM

@bubffm - thanks, yes, I guess to sell housings, they need to generate some excitement about the camera that goes in the housing.

So, for someone coming from the AX100, how hard was it to get used to the ergonomics of the GH5?  I really like being able to go from shark or turtle-sized portraits, down to macro stuff on the same dive by zooming and using a flip in wet lens.  Having one button white balance on my right side handle is also really nice.  Anything else that you can offer on the change from a dedicated camcorder to a mirrorless camera doing video?  Thanks!

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#62 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:30 AM

So, for someone coming from the AX100, how hard was it to get used to the ergonomics of the GH5? 

Let me put it this way: If I could get a AX700-sized camcorder with the specs of the GH5 and a fitting housing by Gates or Nauticam, I'd definitely prefer a dedicated camcorder over the GH5 for its easy of use and better ergonomics.  But you get used to the trade-off's of a photo-centric camera body.

I really like being able to go from shark or turtle-sized portraits, down to macro stuff on the same dive by zooming and using a flip in wet lens. 

My view: You can go from whale-sharks down to nudis on the same dive much easier with a camcorder due to the build-in zoom lens and macro-converters that you can swivel simply over the domeport. You could use wet-converters on the GH5 to achieve the same (Nauticam WWL with Bayonet mount etc..) but its somewhat more cumbersome. An yes, sometimes you miss shots on changeable lens system as you got the "wrong" lens on.

Having one button white balance on my right side handle is also really nice. 

You have manual WB right at your fingertips on the GH5 housing from Nauticam as well. More important is the quality of the WB you get underwater. Personally, I think Panasonic wins this over Sony.

There are now a couple test clips taken by the AX700 (or Z90, which fits the same Gates housing) on Youtube.

Have a look at this guys clips. he is a sort of "Gates Ambassador".  I have seen better UW-footage taken with the GH5, but let me know what you think.  

https://www.youtube....c7HFmFwSy40Nt4g

Edited by bubffm, 21 June 2018 - 06:37 AM.

#63 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:45 AM

[t-quote name="bubffm" post="396645" timestamp="1529591448"] [t-quote name="SwiftFF5" post="396641" timestamp="1529580542"]

So, for someone coming from the AX100, how hard was it to get used to the ergonomics of the GH5? [/t-quote]

Let me put it this way: If I could get a AX700-sized camcorder with the specs of the GH5 and a fitting housing by Gates or Nauticam, I'd definitely prefer a dedicated camcorder over the GH5 for its easy of use and better ergonomics.  But you get used to the trade-off's of a photo-centric camera body. [/t-quote]

Yes, that would be ideal, wouldn't it?  That is my dilemma, I guess.  I want the image quality, plus the ease of use and flexibility at the same time.  I'm afraid that my OCD is starting to get the best of me.

[t-quote name="bubffm" post="396645" timestamp="1529591448"] [t-quote name="SwiftFF5" post="396641" timestamp="1529580542"]
 I really like being able to go from shark or turtle-sized portraits, down to macro stuff on the same dive by zooming and using a flip in wet lens. [/t-quote]

My view: You can go from whale-sharks down to nudis on the same dive much easier with a camcorder due to the build-in zoom lens and macro-converters that you can swivel simply over the domeport. You could use wet-converters on the GH5 to achieve the same (Nauticam WWL with Bayonet mount etc..) but its somewhat more cumbersome. An yes, sometimes you miss shots on changeable lens system as you got the "wrong" lens on. [/t-quote]

I miss shots anyway, I don't need any help with that!  :fool:

Having one button white balance on my right side handle is also really nice. [/t-quote]

You have manual WB right at your fingertips on the GH5 housing from Nauticam as well. More important is the quality of the WB you get underwater. Personally, I think Panasonic wins this over Sony. [/t-quote]

That is good to hear.  Thanks.

[t-quote name="bubffm" post="396645" timestamp="1529591448"] There are now a couple test clips taken by the AX700 (or Z90, which fits the same Gates housing) on Youtube.

Have a look at this guys clips. he is a sort of "Gates Ambassador".  I have seen better UW-footage taken with the GH5, but let me know what you think.  

https://www.youtube....7HFmFwSy40Nt4g [/t-quote]

Well, it would appear that the AX700 is actually quite a bit better at white balancing than the AX100, at least based on those side by side comparisons.  There is much less of that green color that was so hard to remove.

Again, I really do appreciate your help and comments.  My desire to have it all at the same time, along with my tendencies to over-research and agonize over a decision like this is making it tough to decide which way to go.  Thanks for your tolerance, and patience with my endless questions.

Edited by SwiftFF5, 22 June 2018 - 04:02 AM.

Public Safety Diver

#64 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:10 AM

I'm not sure why the formatting isn't working - sorry that my post is so hard to read.

Public Safety Diver

#65 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 07:09 AM

Whatever route you go between those two, you‘ll end up owning some great kit.

#66 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 03:11 AM

Whatever route you go between those two, you‘ll end up owning some great kit.

That's a good ;point, thanks bubffm.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience regarding the Panasonic/Leica 12-60 lens for underwater use?  They are selling it as a package with the GH5 now for a pretty good price and it looks good on paper, but I have not seen anything on it for underwater use yet.

Public Safety Diver

#67 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 05:27 AM

Not seen anyone using the 12-60 underwater. By the time you add the gear needed for that lens, you maybe better off looking at the Pana 12-35, which new is a bit more expensive but works great underwater - if 12mm on the wide end is ok for you. Otherwise, or in addition, the 7-14 WA. The Pana 8-18 is also great and sits in the middle between the 7-14 and 12-35, but only really works well in the 180 glass dome with step-up adapter, therefore a more pricey option.

#68 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1743 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:56 AM

I had the 12-35mm panasonic a great lens but focal range not great on land. 70mm equivalent is too short. So I got rid of it as I already have the 14-42mm and got the Leica 12-60mm.
This takes the 7 plastic dome or the 180mm glass. You need to check if you can zoom through the range if you shoot video you also have tele mode that makes the tele end 168mm that is pretty good. And then consider no diopters possible.
Looking at the shape of the 12-60mm the focussing distance does change when you zoom and the lens extends a bit so would check with nauticam if you can zoom through
And also get the leica lens not the panasonic as it is too slow to use on land

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#69 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:14 AM

Thanks Interceptor121.  I had not realized that it would not be possible to use flip in diopters with this lens.  This is becoming quite the education for me.

Public Safety Diver