• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Metaluna

Metaluna

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:08 PM

Radio waves don't travel very far underwater leaving conventional multiple flash setups without the benefit of radio controlled speedlights but I would like to mention since ultrasound travels very well underwater it's worth exploring ultrasound controlled underwater flash photography

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1836 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:51 AM

I think the issue will be to convert the ultrasound to either photons or electrons reliably.  I think it could be done but I  can't find any existing technology that might be "housable" 

BIll

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 errbrr

errbrr

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:10 PM

The delay on ultrasound needs to be considered. You would likely be looking at a shutter speed maximum of 1/50th once you are more than a couple of metres from the flash. As Bill says, there is a shortage of commercially available components unless you know some submarine guys.

I have done some research into better transmission options for triggering off camera strobes (dry cavers use infrared which also doesn't work underwater) without anything looking particularly feasible. Ultrasound is probably the closest and would require some kind of delay in the circuit to keep the off-camera strobe and the shutter in sync. 

Ultraviolet laser beams are tempting but a bit carcinogenic. Long cables are impractical in most scenarios. Shooting bulb with manually triggered off camera strobes works in complete darkness but is a game to get good composition when you can't see what you're doing. It might be worth trying a visible light trigger on a delay circuit to remove the on-camera flash from the picture - it's on my to do list, one day.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: strobe, ttl