44 replies to this topic

#21 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:31 AM

Youtube doesnt support h265. You need h264 10 bits or vp9 profile 2
Apparently you need the paid version as the free converts everything to 8 bits or so they say on YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True Youtube doesnt support H265 for HDR at least according to their help page.

You dont need the paid version of Resolve to export 10bit files. I ve done tests exporting to both DNxHQ and Prores 422 and they both work fine triggering an HLG flag on my tv through youtube

#22 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:38 AM

True Youtube doesnt support H265 for HDR at least according to their help page.
You dont need the paid version of Resolve to export 10bit files. I ve done tests exporting to both DNxHQ and Prores 422 and they both work fine triggering an HLG flag on my tv through youtube

Can you export H264 10 bits with free version? 60MB/s is not really practical!

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#23 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:17 AM

Can you export H264 10 bits with free version? 60MB/s is not really practical!

You cant export H264 10 bit with either the paid or free version of Resolve

#24 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:19 AM

Ok perfect so H264 10 bit is what you need for youtube
Failing that you can export to prores 422 and use handbrake

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#25 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:45 AM

Ok perfect so H264 10 bit is what you need for youtube
Failing that you can export to prores 422 and use handbrake

Or upload the Prores if you dont mind the file size. Just make sure the exported file from handbrake keeps the HDR handles necessary to trigger HLG/HDR flags on your tv.

Does FCPX export H264 10bit?

Edited by Lionfi2s, 25 May 2018 - 08:54 AM.

#26 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:04 AM

No I always export prores and then use handbrake
I have now installed DaVinci studio 14 and it doesn’t read the h264 10 bit files it only reads 8 bits
Any idea why? Fcpx reads them fine

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#27 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:17 AM

https://www.dpreview.../thread/4194356

Free only supports 8 bit

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#28 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:15 AM

The free version of Resolve doesnt read the 10 bit files it does export 10 bit files though.

You need the paid version to read the 10 bit files. I convert my 10bit files to Prores using edit ready and then import them.

Even Mac OS doesnt read the GH5 10 bit files you need VLC or similar to see them. Dont know about windows

#29 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:29 AM

The free version of Resolve doesnt read the 10 bit files it does export 10 bit files though.
You need the paid version to read the 10 bit files. I convert my 10bit files to Prores using edit ready and then import them.
Even Mac OS doesnt read the GH5 10 bit files you need VLC or similar to see them. Dont know about windows

Ok but this means you are not actually handling a proper HDR file as the color depth must be 10 bits
OSX High Sierra reads HEVC 8 bit and all sorts of 8 bits. FCPx reads all intra and long gop 10 bit and so does Resolve studio
So in short if you want true HDR you need to pay

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#30 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:42 AM

So in short if you want true HDR you need to pay.

I dont think that statement is correct. Afaik, there is absolutely no difference in HDR editing capabilities between free and paid versions of Davinci. Check the specs n their webpage. The differences are in Noise Reduction, FX plugins etc etc.

#31 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

I dont think that statement is correct. Afaik, there is absolutely no difference in HDR editing capabilities between free and paid versions of Davinci. Check the specs n their webpage. The differences are in Noise Reduction, FX plugins etc etc.

It is not the features is the files you need to acquire media at 10 bits and output at 10 bits to be compliant to HDR
Seems like resolve is happy to output 422 like files but in the basic edition doesn’t actually handle them
I guess you need to pay for something?

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#32 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:29 PM

I have played with Edit Ready it does create a 422 prores file that Resolve reads fine

Then in deliver you can select VP9 422 10 bits this in theory is YouTube ready it is taking forever to encore one minute test file when is finished I will upload it and see what it does

So it appears the only thing Resolve does not do is to read 422 10 bits H264 and I am guessing all intra or long gop makes no difference

So if you have an external recorder producing directly prores 422 or 422 HQ it is possible to create HDR from Resolve free if you don't have a recorder you can use this edit ready software I need to figure out if you can transcode with something else free

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#33 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:02 PM

I have played with Edit Ready it does create a 422 prores file that Resolve reads fine

Then in deliver you can select VP9 422 10 bits this in theory is YouTube ready it is taking forever to encore one minute test file when is finished I will upload it and see what it does

So it appears the only thing Resolve does not do is to read 422 10 bits H264 and I am guessing all intra or long gop makes no difference

So if you have an external recorder producing directly prores 422 or 422 HQ it is possible to create HDR from Resolve free if you don't have a recorder you can use this edit ready software I need to figure out if you can transcode with something else free

Yes thats how it is. To read 10 bits H264 files directly you need the paid version. Prores 422 and its variants you can read and output directly even in the free version. Havent tried the VP9 option yet but i can tell you that H265 10 bit (which you can export in Mac using the free version but is not supported by you tube HDR) takes a long time too. H265 10bit is very efficient in terms of file size though. If you are using a recorder that produce Prores 422 file then you can use them directly in the free version.

Edit ready free version works fine if your clips are not longer than one minute if they are it will only transcode the first minute.

Edited by Lionfi2s, 25 May 2018 - 11:03 PM.

#34 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:33 PM

I used to do the same with clipwrap to unbundle mts
It is also possible to run ffmpeg however this has a command line.
Generally as a Mac user I find resolve interface extremely confusing it has millions of menus and it is not intuitively easy so may spend the money for final cut pro that in comparison is a breeze
On the other hand if you shoot HLG grading effort should be less so spending £££ just to put titles transitions and effect is something to think about

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#35 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 02:18 AM

On the other hand if you shoot HLG grading effort should be less so spending £££ just to put titles transitions and effect is something to think about

Thats a bit debatable IMHO, compared to VLOG-L for sure there is less work to be done but generally speaking underwater footage need colour correcting and even grading if you are at that level. Shooting in HLG wont make all the well known issues of shooting underwater disappear or your image quality better. HLG is just another picture profile with its own characteristics. Does these work well and suit underwater images? Who knows will see at the moment there is not much footage out there to get a good idea. 

I dont have experience with FCPX and i agree that Resolve has a steep learning curve but once you learn it its a one stop solution that has it all especially when the latest version incorporating Fusion is ironed out of bugs.

#36 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 02:27 AM

I managed to convert free to prores using ffmpeg however it does not tag the colour spaces correctly
I bumped into a git managed by some BBC people with source to edit the mov fields so that it works
I will see if I invest more time into this or proceed with buying EditReady

Edited by Interceptor121, 26 May 2018 - 03:26 AM.

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#37 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:32 AM

Generally as a Mac user I find resolve interface extremely confusing it has millions of menus and it is not intuitively easy so may spend the money for final cut pro that in comparison is a breeze

Totally agree on that. I did my last project start-to-finish in Resolve and not sure I‘d do it again. Getting some simple effects like speed ramps is much more cumbersome. You can be more refined in color grading but not sure its worth the many more hours that it takes for a project to complete in Davinci compared to FCPX.

#38 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:11 PM

I have finished my investigations yesterday. If you can bear DaVinci it is possible to produce HDR HLG with free software and output HEVC to a compatible TV as well as H264 to YouTube. The HEVC files come to around 12 mbps with quality factor 22. You need to push for average bitrate to get more. Netflix uses around 15 mbps for their streams so this is reasonable.
Youtube uses VP9 and H264 there is no way to code this codec to specifications without using a command line tool on a mac for free so you use H264 10 bit and set bitrate to around 50mbps. The encoding is fast and better than using prores at >400 mbps so cuts the time to 12.5% for upload
All the resulting files are 4:2:0 10 Bit colour there are no Tv sets able to play 4:2:2 on a high efficiency codec. Computers will struggle to play anything except H264 youtube like without hardware acceleration and you need VLC to play the files
Will post the steps for media import into my blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#39 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:15 AM

I have finished my investigations yesterday. If you can bear DaVinci it is possible to produce HDR HLG with free software and output HEVC to a compatible TV as well as H264 to YouTube. The HEVC files come to around 12 mbps with quality factor 22. You need to push for average bitrate to get more. Netflix uses around 15 mbps for their streams so this is reasonable.
Youtube uses VP9 and H264 there is no way to code this codec to specifications without using a command line tool on a mac for free so you use H264 10 bit and set bitrate to around 50mbps. The encoding is fast and better than using prores at >400 mbps so cuts the time to 12.5% for upload
All the resulting files are 4:2:0 10 Bit colour there are no Tv sets able to play 4:2:2 on a high efficiency codec. Computers will struggle to play anything except H264 youtube like without hardware acceleration and you need VLC to play the files
Will post the steps for media import into my blog

You can you use handbrake to export H264 10 bit on a Mac its free and no command line is needed it also retains all metadata needed to flag the HLG flag on youtube. You cut your upload time but you increase you render time... compression doesnt come for free unfortunately. Have you tried playing the 10bit 422 HLG file that comes out from the camera and it doesnt work? Sounds strange that tv doesnt play 422 files since that cancels the whole HDR wide colour gamut thing. You can also export VP9 directly from Resolve.

Totally agree on that. I did my last project start-to-finish in Resolve and not sure I‘d do it again. Getting some simple effects like speed ramps is much more cumbersome. You can be more refined in color grading but not sure its worth the many more hours that it takes for a project to complete in Davinci compared to FCPX.

I am sure it will take me much more time to complete a project in FCPX than in Resolve since i have no experience in FCPX. I think its just what you have experience with. Not that Resolve is easy to learn in few days.

Edited by Lionfi2s, 27 May 2018 - 06:53 AM.

#40 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:04 AM

You can you use handbrake to export H264 10 bit on a Mac its free and no command line is needed it also retains all metadata needed to flag the HLG flag on youtube. You cut your upload time but you increase you render time... compression doesnt come for free unfortunately. Have you tried playing the 10bit 422 HLG file that comes out from the camera and it doesnt work? Sounds strange that tv doesnt play 422 files since that cancels the whole HDR wide colour gamut thing. You can also export VP9 directly from Resolve.

I am sure it will take me much more time to complete a project in FCPX than in Resolve since i have no experience in FCPX. I think its just what you have experience with. Not that Resolve is easy to learn in few days.

From what I understand UHD premium requires 10 bit colour and additional dynamic range but not 422 which is just the way the colours are mapped on the frame. My understanding is that 422 is required mostly for grading but then once done you don’t see it.
My Tv LG OLEDB7V can display even 444 but the player can’t process the files
I use handbrake and with ffmpeg can also convert the camera files to prores free

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog